Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #71
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2SS View Post
And since not one person could give me any cohesive argument that damage to my engine may occur while re-fueling with the enigine on I will continue to be a "superhero" who is "trying to prove something", and refuel with my engine on. And yes if a Camaro SS blows up while refueling it will be my dumb ass on the news. And if anybody who is "white&nerdy" would like me to make a video of the amount of time it takes a cold-soaked LT1 to get to 160-170 on the oil temperature I will be happy to......since I have an LT1 with 11,000 miles on it and he will have one, someday. I might have a bit more insight into the amount of time the 20F oil takes to get to 160-170F since I actually drive the car daily and you dream about driving one "soon."
We are told to turn our engine off for safety reasons. The thought being that a running car has a greater chance of building and transferring static electricity at the filler tube. There have been a few stories of this kind of thing happening, though not in some time. However, if it has happened, or if it can happen, then there is going to be warning sign about it. It's a legal liability issue. The odds of a modern car blowing up at the pump is probably extremely slim. In other words, not a subject worthy of 5 pages of discussion, but I'll try to make it 6.

But, what do I know? I'm currently driving the obsolete LS3, I'm sure the science is completely different, lol. I did grow up in the mid west and know full well that wonderful joy of getting gas first thing in single digit temps, oh what fun! Cop wants to give me ticket for idling my car? Go ahead, but he'll have to get out of his to write it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #72
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
I have not read the intire thread. But read Posting members original post.

First, the gas stations post no fueling with car running. That' is not only common sense but if you fuel your car while running your endangering other people's lives. I almost think you started the post for a joke or just to see the response to you question that is borderline lacking the correct amount. of brain cells to operate a vehicle. Stop sniffling gas.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #73
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I'm all for people making their own decisons and willing to take consequences for them. Why we have the Darwin Award. But once those decisions put others lives in danger, that is when things cross the line.

Remember that decision to risk your car blowing up isn't only going to cost you your life, but risks others people's lives at the gas station.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #74
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I think some of you should know the facts from the National Fire Protection Association.

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education...station-safety

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education...on-safety-tips

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-g...ying-safe-pump
Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #75
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Those are completely useless statistics since they include ANY fire at a service station, not ones directly or even indirectly caused by fueling with a running engine.

Just from a personal injury standpoint, the odds are ludacris.

"However, according to the NACS, Americans refuel between 16 and 18 BILLION times per year. And 48 people, on average, are injured because of gas station fires per year. That's a 1:375,000,000 chance. Here are the chances of some other things happening:"

- Being hit by meteorite - 1:700,000
- Dying in plane crash - 1:5,300,000
- Becoming a saint - 1:20,000,000
- Winning the lottery - 1:259,000,000

Personally I still always shut off because
A) I'm not going to try cold crank a car first thing in the morning then drive 2 mins to fuel up, why not fuel up on the way home the previous night?
B) You waste more fuel leaving a car running than shutting it off and back on with today's modern fuel injection.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #76
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I almost always left patrol cars running while filling. So that I could hear any calls on my radio. The last several cars were injected...never an issue noted.

I also wondered why we have the CAPLESS fill receptacle? Not a fan without a secure gas flap panel. Too easy for someone to tap the panel, then dump something down the filler.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #77
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
I almost always left patrol cars running while filling. So that I could hear any calls on my radio. The last several cars were injected...never an issue noted.

I also wondered why we have the CAPLESS fill receptacle? Not a fan without a secure gas flap panel. Too easy for someone to tap the panel, then dump something down the filler.

Thank you officer for you service and voice of reason. Truth be told I picked up the re-fueling with the enigine on thing when I was first driving and constantly noticing law-enforcement in Dallas where I grew up doing that exact thing. I figured if it is "reasonably safe" for a Crown Vic or Caprice or Explorer to fill while running it is for my car too. And to this very minute I still figure the same thing.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #78
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Well watch this video and notice the officers comments at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3h39q-7-IY
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #79
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
However, according to the NACS, Americans refuel between 16 and 18 BILLION times per year. And 48 people, on average, are injured because of gas station fires per year. That's a 1:375,000,000 chance. Here are the chances of some other things happening:

- Being hit by meteorite - 1:700,000
- Dying in plane crash - 1:5,300,000
- Becoming a saint - 1:20,000,000
- Winning the lottery - 1:259,000,000

I mean, do what you want - but realize that, statistically speaking, there is no greater danger from leaving a car running.

The problem with your math is you don't know how many of those 48 injuries were caused by people fueling while their engine was running. You must be really convinced of your invulnerability to take this risk with your kids in the car.

Your standing by the door is not a theft deterrent unless you have a piece on you.

That plane crash statistic is bunk because it includes people who never fly as the total population. For people who fly 100,000 miles per year, it is a lot higher. If they fly their own plane it's so high that it is difficult to get life insurance.
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #80
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
It was caused by getting in and out of the car and static electricity. Not from the car running. Just saying.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #81
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
The problem with your math is you don't know how many of those 48 injuries were caused by people fueling while their engine was running. You must be really convinced of your invulnerability to take this risk with your kids in the car.

Your standing by the door is not a theft deterrent unless you have a piece on you.
That is exactly the problem, there is no actual evidence statistically to say X injuries/damage was caused by the engine running during refueling. So if the general number of injuries by fire at a gas station is 48 a year, smoking cigarettes, spilling fuel on the ground, causing a spark by dropping a metal object, a lightning strike, or some redneck grilling steaks in the back of his pickup truck while filling up could all be responsible for those numbers.
That's how useless the numbers are without context. I mean your car spontaneously catching fire while driving probably causes more injuries per year.

And personally I don't do it, but not because of fire risks. Look up the term "hot pit" refuelling by the air forces of the world. Jet fuel is far more flammable than gasoline. If they feel it's safe enough to do with a million dollar aircraft and lots people around, you should not worry about the risk at a local gas station.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #82
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
I still find it somewhat humorous that a bunch of guys who drive 400+hp cars (and probably use that power at least sometimes on the road) are debating "safety". I'm far more likely to cause a wreck by speeding 5mph over or forgetting to use a blinker.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #83
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
It was caused by getting in and out of the car and static electricity. Not from the car running. Just saying.
or smoking
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #84
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
To the OP. Can you please add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy if you have one?

Thanks.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote