Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Non electronic security

I'm not sure on the proper subforum for this one. So my apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've been looking into some non electronic security devices for cars and i was wondering if anyone has tried any pedal locks?

Aside from the big ugly red club, that you can just cut off. I havent found many other options. Are all these devices easily removed so no one bothers ?

Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
if someone wants your property, theyre going to take it. I would think that application would just be cumbersome to the owner having to remove it and reattach it all the time. have you tried reaching under our dashes? wow...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
The Dutchman
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Trunk Monkey.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Looks like it could be in the way while driving. Its so close to the pedal itself. I could see constantly bumping it with my toe.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Put him on your front seat

Old 01-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Looks like it could be in the way while driving. Its so close to the pedal itself. I could see constantly bumping it with my toe.
It looks like its just propped on the floor, not attached. I'm guessing once the lock is removed the whole thing slips off.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
ABM2010RS

Drives: 2010 ABM RS camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutchman View Post
Trunk Monkey.
never get to these threads quick enough to be the first to say this
ABM2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
It looks like its just propped on the floor, not attached. I'm guessing once the lock is removed the whole thing slips off.
Oh gotcha. I was thinking it was just the piece under the pedal that comes off. That makes more sense now.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
I'm not sure on the proper subforum for this one. So my apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've been looking into some non electronic security devices for cars and i was wondering if anyone has tried any pedal locks?

Aside from the big ugly red club, that you can just cut off. I havent found many other options. Are all these devices easily removed so no one bothers ?

Thoughts?
In California esp the bay area the cars are driven away, so this is probably a decent second layer of protection, but the cars are targeted so eventually they will come back with something else. Alot of the cars stolen are either from place of work, a quick stop at the store, or NON garaged cars from homes. Almost every Zl1 that has been stolen has been well off of the beaten path and many feel that the cars are targeted in some way. At a minimum they are followed.

For the other area's this kind of device should help discourage a casual theft, but as mentioned if you get cased they will come back with a flat bed and drag it on and its gone.

One guy in the bay has the ravelco and they still tried pushing his Z down the street eventually I guess it was too heavy and the gave up. That said if he continues to leave it in front of his house at night they will push it down the street and load it up on a flat bed, or build a bypass harness for the ravelco.

I guess if your not in a target area it a decent idea.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
SnowyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
In California esp the bay area the cars are driven away, so this is probably a decent second layer of protection, but the cars are targeted so eventually they will come back with something else. Alot of the cars stolen are either from place of work, a quick stop at the store, or NON garaged cars from homes. Almost every Zl1 that has been stolen has been well off of the beaten path and many feel that the cars are targeted in some way. At a minimum they are followed.

For the other area's this kind of device should help discourage a casual theft, but as mentioned if you get cased they will come back with a flat bed and drag it on and its gone.

One guy in the bay has the ravelco and they still tried pushing his Z down the street eventually I guess it was too heavy and the gave up. That said if he continues to leave it in front of his house at night they will push it down the street and load it up on a flat bed, or build a bypass harness for the ravelco.

I guess if your not in a target area it a decent idea.
Makes sense. Either way if someone is following me i will be screwed. If someone wants it, they will get it. So far this seems tl be one of the best solutions i could find that isnt electronic.

Im surprised no one has tried it on the forums to be honest.

My car is garaged at least. And garage has security with motion and camera out front. Plus if someone manages to get into the garage, they should have a fun time with me in the house! They should pray my crazy father isnt home haha.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
Makes sense. Either way if someone is following me i will be screwed. If someone wants it, they will get it. So far this seems tl be one of the best solutions i could find that isnt electronic.

Im surprised no one has tried it on the forums to be honest.

My car is garaged at least. And garage has security with motion and camera out front. Plus if someone manages to get into the garage, they should have a fun time with me in the house! They should pray my crazy father isnt home haha.
I think it is a worthwhile thing to do. There is also this.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/pro...ft-device.html
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
SnowyCamaro

^ i like this one. Similar to the other one. I do like that ebay one is a little more compact, but i wonder if it is as effective.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #13
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
A pry bar will remove that in a hurry. Even faster if aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
Looks like it could just slide up the pedal