Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
ProudCamaroOwner

Drives: 2013 Camaro LT Convertible with RS
Tire Recommendation 2013 Camaro LT w/RS Pkg

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here.

We (wife and I) bought our first Camaro last year to go on a road trip across the country. 2 months, 35 states, >10000 miles and countless admiring/envious glances later, we noticed that the tread on the front tires had worn thin.

We're in Western NY and since winter was approaching, we decided to park our car and get new tires when spring arrived. So, after 6 short months of snowy winter, here we are looking for replacement tires.

Ours is a 2013 Convertible with RS package. Currently, the front tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45ZR20 XL. The rear tires are Ironman iMove Gen2 275/40ZR20. This is what we bought the Camaro with.

The Camaro is for recreational driving such as weekend trips, road trips etc. Although, we also anticipate driving it every single sunny spring, summer and fall day. It is also a 'fallback' car in case our temperamental SUV develops any problems. We will typically keep it parked during winter for use only in emergency circumstances.

Based on my (limited) research, I have identified the following Summer tires:

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 (cheap)
Continental ExtremeContact Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (expensive)

I'm now requesting recommendation(s) from forum members. My requirements in order of priority are:

1. Comfortable ride
2. Excellent traction (dry and wet)
3. Value for money
4. Only looking to replace the front tires at this time

We are not looking for All Seasons because we're 99% sure that we won't be driving them in any snow.

Other considerations:

1. We're looking at a reasonable budget and nothing too expensive such as changing the wheels etc.
2. We might be moving to Coastal Delaware or Virginia in a few months.
3. The tires should not crack while the car stands during snowy days or even driving on cold but not snowy days.

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to your recommendations.
ProudCamaroOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i know you said all season tires arent needed but firestone firehawk A/S should also be considered,had some on my solstice and will be putting them on my camaro soon.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Can't say from experience but while researching tires myself I read nothing but good things about the NT555 G2 by Nitto and plan to get them when ma bitch needs new shoes because - so I've read - they have good wet and dry traction, good tire wear, and are relatively cheap compared to the competition. With that said, if money isn't an issue definitely go with those Michelin's.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Can't say from experience but while researching tires myself I read nothing but good things about the NT555 G2 by Nitto and plan to get them when ma bitch needs new shoes because - so I've read - they have good wet and dry traction, good tire wear, and are relatively cheap compared to the competition. With that said, if money isn't an issue definitely go with those Michelin's.
I just put the 555's on on my car and they handle and ride great. I went with the 275 front and 315 rear.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I replaced the original P-Zero tires with Nitto Motivos on our RS. They are all season and work very well here in Texas. Granted. we don't have winter conditions like you do in New York, but I think you'll find they are a great three-season tire, and may be serviceable year-around.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are great summers at a good price.
Great handling and work surprisingly well in the rain.

iMove?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
I had the Nitto 555’s they are great tires for the money if you ask me. The Nitto 555’s did very well at the track for me.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I'm running 20x9 wheel all around with fresh 275/40-20 OEM style Pirellis. They work very well in all conditions, even did some off roading on an iced over trail without problems. I LOVE their predictability and feedback while at the edge of traction, as a driver that uses my vehicle, I really love that aspect of their performance.

Another note: The OEM (late 2014 dated) tires that came on the car were not nearly as good as the newer ones, even with 80% tread depth. All 3 year old tires are hardened and trash, so don't stress much over the complaints people have about the Pirellis, most are old because the Camaro is often second vehicle that doesn't always get a ton of miles put on it...

If you don't drive fast and don't care how your vehicle behaves when breaking traction in an emergency, use whatever works for your budget and needs. I personally choose safety and predictability over all other factors including peak grip. I haven't tried other tires on this chassis, but I have had great luck with Falken tires in the past, I would reccomend the newest version of the 912 as a safe budget tire.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
ProudCamaroOwner

Drives: 2013 Camaro LT Convertible with RS
Thank you very much everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it very much.
ProudCamaroOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Yeah I also concur with a new set of Pirelli P-Zero. I had the old ones and yes, the grip was terrible. New set worked great.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
The tires should not crack while the car stands during snowy days or even driving on cold but not snowy days.
I don’t think you will have any issues with summer tires if the car is just sitting but if you are going to drive it in cold weather (below freezing), I’d be very careful with summer tires. I had the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros on my car when I bought it but swapped those out for all season (Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S) when the weather got cold. The P-Zeros were pretty slick and easy to get sideways in the cold the few times I drove in cold weather before the swap.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:40 AM   #12
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
I'm also going to be buying the Nitto NT555 G2's this summer.

I have wider wheels (2x10 and 2x11) and I was looking for a 295 square setup which limited my options.

I have read nothing but strong reviews for the Nitto.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #13
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
In winter I run General G-max a/s-03 which is now the a/s-05. Amazing dry and wet performance. In summer I run a summer only tire setup on chrome rims.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
i'd say skip the BFG's. I've had them and while an okay tire they are nothing special. And they are unidirectional so any rotating of them is a total pain and not worth it. I'm about 11000 miles on my rears with those and they are done again. Its about all I ever get out of rears and no I'm not driving it like a Ricer.....

I'm waiting to put Pzero All Season Plus on the rears when they come in to match those I bought for my fronts last year. I need more wear performance on my tires not more grip. This car eats rear tires for lunch!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote