The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperspaceTurd View Post
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but the taco, 09 TRD sport, low miles, is what I drive in the snow, cold or when I have to do annoying adult shit like moving or hauling building materials.

The rest of the time I drive the Camaro, but I would like a daily driver that's a little more fun, but I need AWD capability where I live when the heavens open up randomly, with a vengeance.

The taco is a great compliment to the SS but it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to driving fun.

Sooo I've been thinking I better find an evo 8 or an Pre 07 STI(personal preference) while it is still sorta possible, however unlikely to find an unmolested one with low miles. In a few years time I feel these will be extinct.

What say Yall?
No, and here's why:

You won't find the Evo8 or 07 and earlier STI that has been meticulously taken care of. That owner won't let it go and the only ones looking to sell will be selling cars that you'll try to convince yourself that you can live with, but they'll smell funky, some of the parts won't work, some of the parts will be close to not working, and overall it won't be worth it. Unless you are buying a used car that is 5 years old or less, I say stay away, there's just too much that can be at or beyond it's intended service life and parts that are not working anymore on a 20 year old car. I too love the 07 and earlier STIs, that was just the right shape. I also like the 08 hatch and I thought that should have been the correct evolution for the STI, but once they made it into a sedan I lost interest (it was meant to be a hatch, not a sedan), then they did the latest one and even though a co-worker offered me a good deal on his barely-used one, I passed, just totally uninspiring. Needs at least 350hp/tq and needs to make the power at ~1700rpm. Needs many things to ever turn me back to them.

A 2004 or 5 STI though, man wouldn't it be cool if you could go and buy a brand new modern version with updated electronics/entertainment? That's the problem, it makes you think you should buy one of those ones you see pop up for sale every once and a while, thinking you'll recapture that awesomeness they had when new (I had a 2004 WRX), but every time I buy a used car that's more than about 5 years old, I get burned some how. Usually within that time you can still take it and "make it yours" before shit starts falling apart, so you can treat it right and it can be solid 10 years later. It's just too much to expect that buying one that old IME.

I do a lot of summer and winter sports and I know what you mean when you say you miss the aggressive driving possible in the camaro, but Tacos are pretty special too, if I had one I'd put some $$$ into it to make it a fun off-roader with some big fox shoxs and tires.

I'm totally down with a good wagon, but there aren't very many good options out there due to US driver's preferences. There aren't many sporty ones, the ones that are sporty are either tons of money (AMG E63) or really old (old Legacy GT) and most everything else is just kind of "meh" as far as driving.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Trust me keeping the Taco is a good idea. Everyone I know who used to DD a truck has ended up hating the next vehicle bc they realize they now have to borrow a truck from someone
This was the whole reason I bought a truck...sick of borrowing the damn things
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #17
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
STI is a disappointment after driving a Camaro. The 2015 Subie is my everyday car. Got a stage 1+, and it stills feels like it needs another 80hp. STIs really hold their value, so not going to be cheap getting a used one.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Keep the Taco...so much more capability to offset the non-capable Camaro. I have a Subaru Forester that I can use but I would love to have a Mid-Size Truck instead.

Good luck finding an Evo or STI that doesn't smell like smoke or vape juice ha ha ha!
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Do it. Life is way to short to drive boring cars/trucks!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
DidierAubin87

Drives: 2011 Black Chevrolet
I know Tacoma is the greater choice, if I were you, I would keep it. But how about your wife, is it ok?
DidierAubin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidierAubin87 View Post
I know Tacoma is the greater choice, if I were you, I would keep it. But how about your wife, is it ok?
Why, you want her? Ill take what you got.

Seems like shipping would be expensive...
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote