Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
I need some help driving stick

As I posted here in the past that I was learning to drive stick before I took delievery of my 1LE. Well I got it last night and drove home with it and had no issues (other than me stalling at a light and the girls next to me just looked at me weird). However, this morning while driving to work I noticed that on certain shifts it would tell me where to shift versus what I was shown.

Example: I was in second and when I went to go to third it blocked me and said fourth.

I texted my bro but he is a plane out of town so I thought I would reach out here. Thanks.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The skip shift is explained in the owner's manual.

If you are in a certain speed range, you are forced to shift from 1st to 4th. Take it to a higher rpm in 1st and you will be OK.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
It is just the skip shift kicking in because you are at low RPM's. Give it a little more gas and that message will disappear, allowing to shift wherever you please.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The skip shift is explained in the owner's manual.

If you are in a certain speed range, you are forced to shift from 1st to 4th. Take it to a higher rpm in 1st and you will be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It is just the skip shift kicking in because you are at low RPM's. Give it a little more gas and that message will disappear, allowing to shift wherever you please.
Ah this makes sense. I have the book here with me at work. I plan on reading through it during the day. Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Read up on the skip shift and then practice, practice, practice. Don't try to drive too aggressively until you get to the point where you're consistently shifting smoothly and at the right points. It should come naturally in no time ... good luck and enjoy
Old 11-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Read up on the skip shift and then practice, practice, practice. Don't try to drive too aggressively until you get to the point where you're consistently shifting smoothly and at the right points. It should come naturally in no time ... good luck and enjoy
Lat night on the way home I was getting those little jolts when shifting, but this morning half of my shifts were really smooth, so I hope its a sign that I'm getting it.

Gas is at an Average 14 MPG right now. I hope that gets better once I'm better on the take off since that seems to eat up most of the gas. I just have to find that right grabbing spot when I let off the clutch.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think if you stay in first past 20 mph or rev it past a certain point skip shift does not kick in. Try that, or order a $20 connector that stops it from locking out gears, but you'll still see the message pop up.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
Google skip shift eliminator. Had it on my '11 SS. Worked great.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
Lat night on the way home I was getting those little jolts when shifting, but this morning half of my shifts were really smooth, so I hope its a sign that I'm getting it.
The first sign that you're beginning to get it is when you aren't afraid you're going to stall it coming off every single stop. Smoothing out the upshifts is more of a detail-level improvement that says your timing and "muscle memory" is getting better.

Quote:
Gas is at an Average 14 MPG right now. I hope that gets better once I'm better on the take off since that seems to eat up most of the gas. I just have to find that right grabbing spot when I let off the clutch.

Thanks!
Brand-new cars tend to use a little more gas, at least partly due to there being a little final microscopic-level breaking in of moving parts to each other. Not just in the engine either; also in the transmission and rear axle.

Norm
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Ghost7997

Drives: 2014 Ultimate Track SS "Weapon-X"
Skip Shift Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGame55 View Post
Google skip shift eliminator. Had it on my '11 SS. Worked great.
GotGame55 is totally right. I just recently put one in my 2014 1LE and is works like a charm.

xinfamousxi, Just be sure to watch yourself in those low rpm's to make sure you don't stall. Also, make sure you don't give it too much gas. No one likes to see a beautiful Camaro in a ditch. Any questions on how it works, or installation, feel free to message me. Good luck!

Last edited by Ghost7997; 11-17-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Ghost7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The first sign that you're beginning to get it is when you aren't afraid you're going to stall it coming off every single stop. Smoothing out the upshifts is more of a detail-level improvement that says your timing and "muscle memory" is getting better.

Brand-new cars tend to use a little more gas, at least partly due to there being a little final microscopic-level breaking in of moving parts to each other. Not just in the engine either; also in the transmission and rear axle.

Norm
This! Makes it worse when I start rolling backwards.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
You'll get it.

Just wait until you hit the advanced level where you start using you e-brake to avoid the hill assist from a dead stop!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
You can get an eliminator for like 25 bucks. Message will still pop up but it'll disable the solenoid that locks those gears out. Install is remotely simple, just gotta get the car jacked up a bit to access the connector that the eliminator connects to
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
xinfamousxi

Now since I'm a beginner does it make sense to maybe keep it on for now?