The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
stevette

Drives: 2015 Stingray Z51
Blade Silver Metallic Paint Issues - Who's Got 'Em?

Hello folks,

I am an owner of a 2015 Blade Silver 3LT ordered in mid Oct 2014 - delivered 11/26/14.

After noticing some paint issues with some uneven metallic base on most of the body panels, I started to search for others that may have the same problem. I have located two owners on another Stingray forum and am in touch with them to see if they get any resolution.

Turns out Bowling Green is well aware of the poor quality of some of the cars coming off the line; particularly the orange peel and metallic paint problems.

Today, I decided to meet my service manager to discuss what I thought was a less then satisfactory paint job on my '15 C7. I was interested to see what his posture was. Without looking at my Blade Silver, he asked me to describe what I see and dislike about it. After hearing about it, he knew right away what I was unhappy with. He too is a Corvette owner and knows the history of the paint flaws coming from Bowling Green. Next, he told me he wants me to meet with the regional GM rep. to look at it.

I wasn't shocked when told it would probably be repainted rather than getting a new car; which i expected. It did come as a surprise when he said he wouldn't want his on-site paint shop handle the job. He proceeded to show me pictures his buddy's '15 Night Race Blue Metallic in pieces at a paint shop that does high-end show cars. "This guy I trust. He does Bentley's, Ferraris, etc," he said. Turns out GM will authorize him to do the work if that's the direction I choose to go. The draw-back is GM won't warranty HIS work. Meaning, any future paint issues will be taken up with the non-GM painter. I would hope to get at least the same length of coverage as the factory

I certainly didn't expect to have to go down this road with a $77K+ car.

...and at the risk of sounding like a turd, please refrain from comments like: "That's why I didn't get a Blade Silver."
stevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Kochaloch

Drives: C7 Z51, BENZ GLK 350, Titan
Sorry to hear that I know it sucks, I had some paint issues as well. I had cracks in my doors. I had them repainted at my dealer and they did a great job with the paint but I had some issues I had to go back and get adjusted that occurred from the reassembly of the the car. doors not aligned correctly and window not rolling up all the way.

If his policy is anywhere near or better than GMs I think it would be hard to not go that route.

8/20/2013 - 1100
1/16/2014 - 2000
1/20/2014 - 3000
1/24/2014 - 3300
2/10/2014 - 3400
2/14/2014 - 3800
2/26/2014 - Delivered!!!
Kochaloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I got a Blade Silver Z-51 last October......is there some orange peel in it and a few flaws- yea but I figure I'd rather have that than a re-painted car any day! Just me but I can live with it and it looks like about a 8.9 car on a 1-10 to me........but I do know what you mean.....I love Blade Silver though!
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
mendeldl

Drives: 2015 C7, 2002 Pontiac Formula
How wide spread is this? I'm going to order the blade silver in 3 months. The only one I've seen in person had what I would describe as a terrible "metallic" pattern in the paint on the sides. The paint was very uneven and it looked like you could literally identify where the paint nozzles were hitting on the body. Anyway, I noticed it right away. Of course the dealer said they couldn't see it, as did my wife, but I'm curious if that is what you are describing here.
mendeldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Corvette Earl

Drives: C7
Do you know if they have resolved this issue on the 2015, mine is on order?
Corvette Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
apparently its not too wide spread......one person complaining.....the other on here had a blue that did the same thing....mine had some orange Peel but it was the first few months of the C7...I am picky but can live with it........
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Butch_n

Drives: Blade Silver C7
Its is wide spread
We have a petition Please sign in support of fellow owners even if you don't have a problem . Thanks

https://www.change.org/p/general-mot...ail_responsive
Butch_n is offline   Reply With Quote