The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
pamorr
pamorr

Drives: C7 Coup, Blade Silver
Auto Transmission Proglem

Since picking up my 2014 Z51 coupe with auto transmission last august this problem has happened only three times. After sitting for a day or two and starting the C7, when shifting the auto transmission lever to reverse, nothing happens. After shifting down through reverse, neutral, drive and M with no connection, and then back up to park and increasing the revs a little it will go into reverse with a bit of a thump. No doubt shifting with increased revs is not good for the transmission but that is the only way it will shift into reverse.

Since this has only happened three times out of hundreds of starts the dealer has no idea what is wrong. The C7 won't repeat the problem while at the dealers.

I hate to think that I will have to live with this problem. Any ideas?
pamorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
simple things first, could be low fluid level, be sure they checked it properly. Symptom could happen more often on cool days.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
chuckawesome

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray
why did you get an automatic?
chuckawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I agree it may be low trans fluid. It might be worth thinking about the past experiences: was the outside temperature fairly cold? Was the car parked on any slope? From my experiences with my '74 Stingray, both can exaggerate a low fluid condition, giving symptoms you describe. It is certainly possible it was a little low from the factory.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
pamorr
pamorr

Wife can't drive a manual.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
pamorr
pamorr

Dealer checked and changed the oil. Conditions were fairly warm weather and parked in a garage.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I would double check the fluid level following the method described in your owners manual, even though the dealer checked - mistakes do happen. If it is indeed at correct level, then the problem will be more challenging to diagnose, especially if no trouble codes turn up. Keep track of conditions whenever it happens, which might gradually show a pattern that can be repeated by the dealer. It may be that they will need to keep it overnight so it is truly cold before they attempt diagnosis again.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
pamorr
pamorr

Auto Transmission Problem

Will do. Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
I would double check the fluid level following the method described in your owners manual, even though the dealer checked - mistakes do happen. If it is indeed at correct level, then the problem will be more challenging to diagnose, especially if no trouble codes turn up. Keep track of conditions whenever it happens, which might gradually show a pattern that can be repeated by the dealer. It may be that they will need to keep it overnight so it is truly cold before they attempt diagnosis again.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Dave Powell

Drives: 2014 Stingray
From the manual, page 10-17:
"The vehicle is not equipped with a transmission fluid level dipstick. There is a special procedure for checking and changing the transmission fluid. Because this
procedure is difficult, this should be
done at the dealer."
Dave Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
c7z06

Drives: mirsubishi raider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Powell View Post
From the manual, page 10-17:
"The vehicle is not equipped with a transmission fluid level dipstick. There is a special procedure for checking and changing the transmission fluid. Because this
procedure is difficult, this should be
done at the dealer."

This is a good idea.
c7z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
The Rock

Drives: 2014 C7 3LT/Z51
Could it be that the Park button was touched? Possibly not engaged but brushed quickly and not fully engaged other than an electronic sensor issue? Just thinking outside the box for you.

2014 C7 LT3/Z51
2014 Jaguar F Type S
2013 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #12
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Mine does the same thing since I got it in October of 14 its prob done it 20 times. It can rev in reverse and doesnt move then THUD it feel like it released a lock on the wheels....took ot to the shop twice and no codes have ever shown up- I even videoed it for dealer........let me know if you find out an answer......mines an auto Z-51.........it has never done it in forward- and usually after sitting several days and cooler weather- never did it in the summer
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
OK...Let me go way outside the box here. I have washed mine in the garage and then moved it to another spot in the garage. Later - the next day - when I go to move it, I find that the tires (being a little sticky anyway) have stuck to the concrete garage floor. Mine is a manual and it kind of makes the same "thud" noise that you are talking about when tires let loose. Maybe?? Could your situations involve wet tires?

I first experinced this with my ZL1 which has very "sticky" tires.

I warned you...way outside the box.
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
pamorr
pamorr

Transmission Problem

Mine has done this three more times for a total of six times. Can't make any sense of it. Dealer has no idea. After being in the garage overnight, I have been putting the car in reverse about 3 to 5 seconds after starting and have had no more problems for a few weeks. Perhaps the increased revs with a cold start have been helping the problem.