The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
XxShhiKnowxX

Drives: 2LT Z51, Black on Black
Ticking/Clicking Noise

I have been hearing a clicking noise coming from the front driver side on my brand new C7 Z51 2LT. Only 1100 miles and 900 of those was me driving from Charlotte NC to Miami. I notice this noise at low RPM's with and without throttle. I have read a few posts about torque tube issues, as well as clicking noises when the car is in V4. My issue happens in every drive mode, as well as in V8 mode (usually keep it in Sport) I will be bringing it in to the dealer (Tropical Chevrolet-Miami) on Monday. Will have updates as soon as they diagnose. I just hope it is a quick fix. *fingers crossed
XxShhiKnowxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
XxShhiKnowxX

Drives: 2LT Z51, Black on Black
So, I brought the car to the dealer this morning. I went on a ride with the service manager and he definitely heard the same noise that I have been hearing. He told me this is normal. He stated that I am hearing this noise because of the corvettes injectors. I also brought attention to a squeaking noise in the cabin....he also heard this noise and stated that it is also normal. He said because my car is still new (1100 miles) that there may be squeaks. He said if the squeaks and ticking noise are still happening at 7,000 miles or if the noises get worse to bring it back in. For me this is kind of disappointing. I have owned many new vehicles and none of them have had squeaks associated with them "being new" I will be bringing it to another dealer to get a second opinion. Not happy with the outcome. (Not to mention they told me that they would not give me a loaner if I left my car) I bought a $70,000 car it has 1100 miles on it and I am already in the shop with concerns. Am I being to nit picky?
XxShhiKnowxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
goldbug

Drives: 2014 Stingray
I don't think you're being nit-picky.

I too am at 1100 and about to take mine in for a loud ticking sound (as well as loose rubber strip at edge of trunk/spoiler). While it very well could be injectors, some have reported issues with a bad torque tube and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The way I see it: it's best to get the complaint on record early--if it ever gets worse or turns into a bigger problem, you're on record having reported it early on.
goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Any time a person buys a new car (of any kind) they will usually be hyper-aware of "strange" sounds. I was when I bought mine. Everything will seem "wrong" if its different than you're used to, and until you learn what the "new" normal is. With 15,000 virtually trouble free miles on mine, I think I have a good measure of most typical "normal" sounds on our Stingrays.

Yes, a mechanical ticking (kind of like a sewing machine) will be normal. This is the mechanical fuel pump needed for the high pressures in direct injection. It is normally not noticeable inside with the windows up, no matter the speed. I generally only hear it with the windows down or top off at low speeds or idle, and usually only when near a wall or similar object that can reflect sound. I've never heard it anywhere else nor with radio playing or top out in the highway. If you hear a ticking even over such background noise, it is not normal and I would seek additional service.

As for squeaks and rattles, they were normal for C4s and even C5s, but not now. The chassis is rock solid, and the way parts are designed along with new materials used make virtually all such noises a thing of the past. Now, there will be some very rare squeaks, mostly from the roof panel, and only on very rough roads. Its impossible to eliminate them entirely, especially since to roof is removeable and Stingrays have much firmer suspensions compared to most cars, but they are not common or normal. If you have any persistent squeaks or rattles that can be heard even in smoother roads, take it in. Again, 15000 squeak free miles tell me quiet is the norm. Although, it can be very challenging at times to pinpoint what actually causes the squeaks.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
shamrock

Drives: 2014 Laguna Blue
From day one I have a very loud rattle when stopped at idle. Tough to tell where it comes from because I hear it towards the front and back. It stops above 1000 rpm in neutral. I will take it in for service someday soon and post the result.

Also like goldbug, my truck rubber gasket along the spoiler edge fell off the first week.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Pollickjp

Drives: 3LT all option minus competi seats
could be misaligned torque tube...tell them you know there is a service bulletin on it...theyre trying to do as little as possible
Pollickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
shamrock

Thanks for the tip, it does appear to be similar to the problem in the service bulletin PIP5170. I will be sure to mention it.

2014 Corvette PIP5170: Driveline Support Torque Tube Automatic Transmission Noise Diagnostic Tip.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Thanks for the tip, it does appear to be similar to the problem in the service bulletin PIP5170. I will be sure to mention it.

2014 Corvette PIP5170: Driveline Support Torque Tube Automatic Transmission Noise Diagnostic Tip.
From someone who has had the torque tube replaced with this same symptom rattle at idle could not hear with the hood up when I got out of car. Get under the car and listen if it is the torque tube it will get louder. Also noticed after replacement the V8 to V4 transitions are much smoother.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
yellow n red

Drives: 2014 Corvette
squeak from rear is upper control arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxShhiKnowxX View Post
So, I brought the car to the dealer this morning. I went on a ride with the service manager and he definitely heard the same noise that I have been hearing. He told me this is normal. He stated that I am hearing this noise because of the corvettes injectors. I also brought attention to a squeaking noise in the cabin....he also heard this noise and stated that it is also normal. He said because my car is still new (1100 miles) that there may be squeaks. He said if the squeaks and ticking noise are still happening at 7,000 miles or if the noises get worse to bring it back in. For me this is kind of disappointing. I have owned many new vehicles and none of them have had squeaks associated with them "being new" I will be bringing it to another dealer to get a second opinion. Not happy with the outcome. (Not to mention they told me that they would not give me a loaner if I left my car) I bought a $70,000 car it has 1100 miles on it and I am already in the shop with concerns. Am I being to nit picky?
I had a squeak from day one and it was determined that the upper control arm on the drivers side needed to be replaced. Problem solved. I could duplicate the squeak by pushing up and down on the back of the car.

Regarding the ticking sound, if this is coming from the interior it is a honeycomb structure for sound deadening in the door panel; remove the door panel and secure it with the glue of your choice - I used silicone rubber.

Hope this helps.
yellow n red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
shamrock

Confirmed. I am waiting on a new torque tube and flex-plate to come in at the dealer to fix the rattle. In the meantime I will drive a loaner Chevy Cruze for a week or more. It's just not quite as fun of a ride as the Stingray that just left the factory in May. Oh well, "stuff" happens when you buy a first model year. No regrets yet.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
cosmicdust73

Drives: Black 3LT Stingray w/NPP, Carb Roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Confirmed. I am waiting on a new torque tube and flex-plate to come in at the dealer to fix the rattle. In the meantime I will drive a loaner Chevy Cruze for a week or more. It's just not quite as fun of a ride as the Stingray that just left the factory in May. Oh well, "stuff" happens when you buy a first model year. No regrets yet.
My C7 Stingray 3LT auto just started developing this exact same sound under the torque tube area. It started about a week ago. I can post a video if anyone is interested. I have about 6500 miles on the car. It's been perfect up until now. I have a scheduled appointment at the dealer next week. I am very concerned about it after reading all of the horror story threads about misaligned torque tube installs and failing engines. I'm coming out of two 370zs that had engine trouble, one of which I used the lemon law on... and now this. :( Kind of freaks me out to have the largest part of the car replaced.

<updated with links to videos>
C7 Rattle 1 (noise is quite loud and apparent)
C7 Rattle 2 (quieter in this video but you can hear it towards the end when I let the RPMs drop)

Last edited by cosmicdust73; 07-11-2014 at 10:36 PM.
cosmicdust73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
cosmicdust73

Drives: Black 3LT Stingray w/NPP, Carb Roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdust73 View Post
My C7 Stingray 3LT auto just started developing this exact same sound under the torque tube area. It started about a week ago. I can post a video if anyone is interested. I have about 6500 miles on the car. It's been perfect up until now. I have a scheduled appointment at the dealer next week. I am very concerned about it after reading all of the horror story threads about misaligned torque tube installs and failing engines. I'm coming out of two 370zs that had engine trouble, one of which I used the lemon law on... and now this. :( Kind of freaks me out to have the largest part of the car replaced.

<updated with links to videos>
C7 Rattle 1 (noise is quite loud and apparent)
C7 Rattle 2 (quieter in this video but you can hear it towards the end when I let the RPMs drop)
Confirmed. The dealer let me drive the car home but is ordering a torque tube which should arrive in about a week or so. They will need about 2 days to install the part. They didn't order a flex-plate though... is that something I should be asking them about?
cosmicdust73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
shamrock

They did a tear down first and decided on both. I have been waiting for 7 days and counting for the new torque tube. In case anyone was wondering, you can't beat a Mustang off the line in a loaner Chevy Cruze.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
Jay_Levine

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Also had a noise

Mine developed the noise at 6 months, 2800 miles. At 13-1500 RPM regardless of gear (on automatic), it would click. If you accelerated past 1500, it stopped, if it dropped below 1,300, it stopped.

I had read about the torque tube issue and brought it in. Went for a drive with the service manager he agreed when he heard it. He wanted his tech that specializes in Vettes to work on it.

It turned out not to be the torque tube and it was a belt that needed adjustment. I got the car back and drove it at all speeds in both sport and touring mode and the sound is gone.

Hope this helps.
Jay_Levine is offline   Reply With Quote