Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #99
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The biggest dissappointment for me was to see how easily GM shaved off the weight for the new z28.....some attempt should have been made for the zl1...........i wouldnt mind getting those new seats.......looks like i will have to go out into the garage and start my own tear down............as far as the z28 goes, congrats to GM for putting it out.........the car will really work. Biggest comment would be no specific body styling and or stripe package..they should have made the debut car black and orange or some really hot looking configuration.......seems like a bit of a rush job.....
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #100
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
The thing that is going to keep me warm at night is knowing they don't make IOM anymore, and I'm one of the few 2012 manual trans IOMs
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #101
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
More data needs to be known IMO. this is the car I really wanted to tell you the truth but on the flip side.

1. cost??
2. Ride??
3. speed?

I loved the LS7 in my Z06 but the LSA does make power quicker and easier in some ways. The 7K rpm of the LS7 rocks though.

If this thing is cheaper than a ZL1 I would buy it over the ZL1 in a heartbeat. If it is the same or more I would be torn. It has the carbon brakes which are bad a$$ but are very expensive to service. like the looks of a 2013 ZL1 better than the 2014 Z/28 maninly due to the hood and not sure about the new rear yet.

if that 3 seconds number is real then this camaro should be right on par with a Z06 or GTR handling I would think which is crazy. Ls7's are longtubes, cam, and CAI away from having great power too.
Just to be on par with cars that have A/C and Mag Ride. I would take the loaded cars over a striped Camaro.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #102
Kevlar382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
The zl1 is no longer the top dog of the camaro
If you can live with a car that's striped down with no options just to be able to sit in the bar and talk about numbers. Which car would you rather drive home in?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #103
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
The biggest dissappointment for me was to see how easily GM shaved off the weight for the new z28.....some attempt should have been made for the zl1...........i wouldnt mind getting those new seats.......looks like i will have to go out into the garage and start my own tear down............as far as the z28 goes, congrats to GM for putting it out.........the car will really work. Biggest comment would be no specific body styling and or stripe package..they should have made the debut car black and orange or some really hot looking configuration.......seems like a bit of a rush job.....
When you start taking the steps they did with the Z28 to reduce the weight, it also has an impact on creature comforts.
everything from eliminating all but one speaker and they only left that one because it was legally required for the chime?
No A/C
They even trimed the wireing harness of all non-essential wiring?
no radio?
reduced padding on the rear seat and eliminate the folding feature?
non-power Recaro seats (remember when we asked for Recaro's and were told they'd cost around $3,000?)
No mag ride?
etc, etc, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #104
Kevlar382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I find it hard to believe that -300lbs and some chassis rework will give the Z/28 3sec per lap than the ZL1.. Need more details on the Z/28.
Better gearing, brakes, and better tires helped a lot.
Wish they would offer 3:91s in the ZL1
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #105
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
I'm happy with my car over the Z28. Here's why:

1. I have a convertible
2. I like the extra technology and amenities on my car
3. Those tires on the Z28 look great, but they also look more expensive, more difficult in cold weather, and more fragile on the street. I think the ZL1 tires are bad enough as it is (being summer only, etc . . . )
4. ZL1 Hood >>>> Z28 hood
5. I'm not really going to track my car. (would have gotten a coupe . . . )

I had a 1989 Z28 when I was in college. Frankly, the new Z28 is not a 'college car'. it's clearly a step up from my old car, but the badging is the same. It's clear to me that the ZL1 is a step up, so I feel a little more successful having the ZL1. (yeah, yeah, weird)

I was slightly annoyed that the Z28 is faster . . . but I'm over that now. Frankly, I'm not that good of a driver anyway.

If only GM would take the 427, add a super charger and make THAT the 2014 ZL1 . . .
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #106
Kevlar382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
That hood is butt ugly!!
The hole car is ugly. The hood, stick on wheel flairs, tail lights, ect. There was 50 or 60 pages about how ugly it is yesterday but I guess it doesn't matter when you have it in an enclosed trailer, going to the track 200 miles away from your house pulling it with your Silverado with the Nav, A/C, and killer stereo on.
Or you could just drive your 1LE or ZL1 to the track with your A/C, Nav, and killer stereo and turn the same lap times since most of us aren't pro drivers and won't get that little extra out of the Z28 anyway. Most of us don't go for that extra second or two because we don't want to wreck our cars, and it's just as fun driving on the track anyway.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #107
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
Exactly my point. The Recaros will be offered as option in the 2014 ZL1 including a color HUD.

Quote:
New (AYZ) RecaroŽ Performance Front Bucket Seats
(available on SS and ZL1 coupe models only)
New (UV6) Color Head-Up Display (standard on 2LT, 2SS and ZL1)
New (UDD) Color Driver Information Center
(standard on 2LT, 2SS and ZL1)
New (BRD) Available Blue Interior Accent Trim Package
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #108
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I wonder how much weight you could cut from the ZL1 if you removed all the stereo equipment, A/C, junk in the trunk, lighter seats, etc. Then throw on a set of the Z/28 tires. It's not a stock vs stock, but would be interesting to see the comparison. I for one will be keeping all of the above.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #109
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The power to weight ratio and better gears of the Z/28 will kill the ZL1 in every aspect except creature comfort. 300-lbs pounds lighter (a portion of that in lighter wheels) and really not much less hp is too big of an advantage to overcome imo.

Besides; isn't the barely legal ZL1 supposed to the ultimate track Camaro? At least that's how GM how advertised the car. Looking back; clearly the ZL1 was a 2 MY stop gap to the Z/28. My frustration is GM knew this and put the ZL1 out underpowered and overweight knowing the Z/28 would soon follow it. They should have put the LS9, Recaro's, CAI and at least made a honest attempt at weight reduction for the ZL1 to begin with. Sorry, I'm not trying to start a flame war here; just frustrated.
+1 Been thinking this same thing for awhile now. The LS9 would have made the ZL1 more competitive with the GT500 and would have distinguished it further from the new Z28. I assumed the LS9 engine was too expensive and would have made the ZL1 cost too much so they went with the Caddy engine. Upgrading the ZL1 with CAI, 19" wheels/tires from the new Z28 will shave at least a second or two off its lap time i'd bet..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #110
Kevlar382

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I'm happy with my car over the Z28. Here's why:

1. I have a convertible
2. I like the extra technology and amenities on my car
3. Those tires on the Z28 look great, but they also look more expensive, more difficult in cold weather, and more fragile on the street. I think the ZL1 tires are bad enough as it is (being summer only, etc . . . )
4. ZL1 Hood >>>> Z28 hood
5. I'm not really going to track my car. (would have gotten a coupe . . . )

I had a 1989 Z28 when I was in college. Frankly, the new Z28 is not a 'college car'. it's clearly a step up from my old car, but the badging is the same. It's clear to me that the ZL1 is a step up, so I feel a little more successful having the ZL1. (yeah, yeah, weird)

I was slightly annoyed that the Z28 is faster . . . but I'm over that now. Frankly, I'm not that good of a driver anyway.

If only GM would take the 427, add a super charger and make THAT the 2014 ZL1 . . .
Nicely said, except why not the LS9 or turbo the LS7. It doesn't seem to take to SC very well for some reason.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #111
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.
I find it hard to believe that -300lbs and some chassis rework will give the Z/28 3sec per lap than the ZL1.. Need more details on the Z/28.
It's really not that hard. Besides the obvious chassis and tire upgrades; the LS7 will heat soak less because it's normally aspirated compared the LSA which we all know drops hp when heat soak sets in. In addition the unsprung weight savings from the wheel change is another big factor.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #112
toddsZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM#1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
The thing that is going to keep me warm at night is knowing they don't make IOM anymore, and I'm one of the few 2012 manual trans IOMs
x2
toddsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote