The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
dlittle238

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 Crystal Red Tintcoat
Clear Bra

I will be taking delivery on my C7 this week. So I need some advice on the clear bra coverage. I was thinking that covering the bumper, partial hood (just beyond the vent) and the back of mirrors would be sufficient to protect the front of the car. However I've talked to a couple of clear bra installers that say because of the C7's low profile it would be best to cover the entire hood, fenders and back of mirrors. There are a lot of C7 owners in this forum, what do you ladies and gents think, full clear bra coverage or partial clear bra coverage? That is the question.
dlittle238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
dlittle, here's my take on it I have over 30000 real-world miles on my '14 Z51, and I do not have any protective film at all. This includes narrow 2-lane paved farm roads to 8-lane interstates, from Bowling Green, KY to Houston, TX to Denver, CO to Las Vegas, NV, in rain, show and shine. The patterns of nicks & chips I see include the following areas:

1. Pretty much the entire front fascia. For cars with splitters, cover them too.
2. Coupe roof panels - they can see minor scuffs from repeated removal or extensive use of a cover outdoors. I would especially cover an exposed carbon fiber panel.
3. The rockers. Remove the small clear film applied at the factory, then cover the ENTIRE rocker, from front of door all the way back to rear wheel well and up to body seam. Also wrap the film into the door jambs, especially at the lower rear corner where the gap curves up to the body crease. That edge doesn't stick out far, but it really takes a beating. For Z06s, this includes the rear brake duct inlet.
4. The door sill area, including the aluminum sill plate. They catch lots of shoes, and even the smallest rock stuck in a shoe can leave a big scratch.
5. Rear spoiler, especially Z51 and wing-style pieces. They catch lots of luggage, belt buckles, etc.
6. The lower rear fascia directly behind the rear tires. This is painted all the way to the wheel well, and catch everything thrown off the sticky tires.
7. For convertibles, I suggest the tonneau cover. I've seen on C5 and C6 Corvettes scuffs from repeated top lowering and raising. Also a good idea if you participate in a lot of parades and carry dignitaries or children seated there.

Believe it or not, I don't see a single nick or chip anywhere on the hood, front or rear fenders or mirrors, but I can see where some areas of the country might. If you do the hood, do the entire hood. A partial hood wrap will leave a line that becomes more noticeable over time.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
The more vertical the surface such as the front bumper/grill area, front surfaces of mirrors, etc are more likely to sustain debris damage. Slopped areas like the hood and top stand a lesser chance, although besides rocks and other road debris you may also have to deal with acid rain, bird poop, tree sap, belt buckles, etc. I had my entire C7 covered in XPEL Ultimate and also use a vinyl bra when on the highway. No chips or damage at all so far.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
dlittle238

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 Crystal Red Tintcoat
Thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. I have a much better idea now of what makes the most sense to be covered/protected.
dlittle238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
fcu678
5Th Gen (Craig)

Drives: 2014 C7
I agree with PurpleRac3r, I had Expel installed on my front bumper, headlights, on the hood up to the vent area, removed the factory film and installed along the entire rocker panel, behind the rear quarters, inside the door release area, the A-Pillars, mirrors and 8" on the front of the roof panel. Not cheap but IMO it's worth it.

fcu678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #6
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Except for the roof panel (I have the transparent top) I had Xpel Ultimate applied just as fcu678 did. I have about 14K miles with only a minor chip on the left front fender that disappeared with a Dr. Colorchip touch-up. Get your film on ASAP.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Flytrade

Drives: 2015 C7
How do you wax the car with the Expel in place? Won't there be a difference in the waxed area and the area with Expel?
Flytrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Xpel can be waxed as your painted surface. Visit the Xpel web site for care of the film. I use Xpel's sealant that nourishes and shines the film for the front areas and mirrors. The rear quarter panels get a dose of my synthetic cleaner/polish as they get more road grime. You'll never get the same gloss on the Xpel as on the paint....but it's close and worth the protection.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
c7kdawg59

Drives: 2015 z06
just checking in on this and was wondering how long you need to wait to have Xpel put on? is it like a wax where you have to wait for 60 days after new paint? thanks for your help new z06 on the way!
c7kdawg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #10
purpleRac3r

Everyone I personally know who has Xpel had it installed immediately upon delivery. Some drive their car straight to our local installer, and a few have had him install it right at the dealership. No one has experienced any paint problems. I'd say you're safe not waiting. And keep in mind, the longer you wait, the more likely you are to pick up at least a couple of chips before the Xpel goes on.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 04-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
2015 New Corvette

Drives: 2015 Corvette on order
Clear bra

On Wednesday I ordered a 2015 Corvette. I'm curious if anyone on here is regularly driving their car without any clear bra on it, and what the results are. I haven't had a clear bra on a car before, and am wondering if it's really needed.
2015 New Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
purpleRac3r

I have been driving my '14 since October 4, 2013 with no Xpel or similar, and have over 30,500 miles. As my earlier post indicated, the places I see that really need the protection include the entire front fascia and both rocker panels in their entirety, not just the part GM covered. I also strongly recommend the coupe roof panel, rear spoiler & deck area, the underside of the rear fascia straight back from the rear tires. I still have no chips or nicks that I can see on the hood, doors, mirrors, front and rear fenders. I did just recently install a carbon fiber splitter and more aggressive rear spoiler, and did have Xpel put on those pieces. Hope this helps!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
gojurick

Drives: '14 Stingray "Sasha"
I had my Xpel put on with 20 miles on the car. I had the entire front clip, hood, fenders, mirror back and door handle "pockets" done. I put on an aftermarket splitter and based on the amount of stone damage it's received I'm glad I invested in the Xpel.
gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Road King

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51
Had the following applied:
- front cover
- full fenders
- full hood
- doorsills
- mirrors
- door handle pockets

There are already some nicks on the film that would have been on or through the paint. I am getting the doors, quarters and hatch covered once the pollen war has went down some. I did not think that I would need the rest of the car done but I hate the water spots that appear every once in awhile on the paint that do not appear on the film. Also, you will get some hits on the doors just by passing people on the highway.
2015 Corvette Z51 2LT (DSOM w/ Kalahari, MT7, MSRC [FE4], Competition Sport Seats [AE4], Racing Stripe Carbon Flash [DTH], Spoiler/Mirror/Emblem Carbon Flash [TTV/EYT], PDR [UQT/IO6], Transparent Roof [CC3])

Parts (ACS Zero7 Side Skirts, UPR Catch Can w/ Clean-Air Separator, aFe CAI, Stainless Mud Guards w/carbon wrap, Xpel Ultimate, Z06 Front Grill, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Hand Laid Carbon / Kevlar Engine Covers)
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote