The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
icnfly

Drives: 2014 z51
Oil in my air filter box

While installing my new K&N filter, i notice oil, a lot in the air box between the intake and the filter. enough to put about an inch in my coffee cup. went to the dealer, they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Anyone seen this?
icnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
While I haven't had the problem on my car, I have heard of it. It apparently is from over-filling the engine oil. Early '14s and others after the first oil change were experiencing the problem. It primarily affects dry-sump cars (Z51) and GM issued a correction to the fill volume, reducing it from the 10+ quarts down to about 9.6 quarts. You should check the oil level, remove perhapd 1/2 quart if its on the high end of the full mark, clean out the intake and monitor it for a while to make sure all is good.

In a side note, I would ditch the K & N filter and go for one of the dry media filters out there. Its a well-known issue that oiled filters such as K & N can cause fouling on the MAF sensor, causing reduced performance, rough idle and other problems.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote