Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
My turn - Dropped off for top replacement...

I drug my heels as long as I could, however my top is now fraying.

I have been in contact with a very reputable dealer here in NorCal for over a year in preparation for this day. The past month we exchanged emails quite a bit to make sure that everything was lined up. GM and I both have a vested interest in making this work out as my car is one of the most modified on the forums. A buyback does not help either party.

They will be bringing out a field engineer to assist with the replacement. I will let everyone know how it goes.

My problems were:

-Rub marks w/fraying (over 20 rub marks, 2 began fraying recently)
-Wind noise with top up
-Creaking when top is raised/lowered/driven with top up

Non-Top:

Rubbing of the trunk against the rear bumper paint & paint peeling in the trunk... (anyone else have this?)

Images attached.
Attached Images

Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
I drug my heels as long as I could, however my top is now fraying.

I have been in contact with a very reputable dealer here in NorCal for over a year in preparation for this day. The past month we exchanged emails quite a bit to make sure that everything was lined up. GM and I both have a vested interest in making this work out as my car is one of the most modified on the forums. A buyback does not help either party.

They will be bringing out a field engineer to assist with the replacement. I will let everyone know how it goes.

My problems were:

-Rub marks w/fraying (over 20 rub marks, 2 began fraying recently)
-Wind noise with top up
-Creaking when top is raised/lowered/driven with top up

Non-Top:

Rubbing of the trunk against the rear bumper paint & paint peeling in the trunk... (anyone else have this?)

Images attached.
While it's disheartening to hear you've got to take your car in for this, I hope you're right about the buy in and interest from GM. It's killing me how 'hit and miss' this procedure is. Roof replacements seem to be the closest thing to rocket science on this forum - who knew? Good luck to you.
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
What I can say is I have had my top worked on in sept 2012. Actually went in 3 times. On the third visit I had a GM rep on site for the replacement and everything went fine. You really need a rep present since the replacement is not straight forward. There are multiple adjustment points that need to be correct.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quick update - The dealer spoke to the field engineer and he got some interesting information in relations to replacing the entire mechanical assembly.

He was told that to replace the assembly it would require pulling one off the production line, and that they are not currently in active production. They did issue them a 2014 completely redesigned top and are supporting the install. If the issues persist after the installation of the new top then they have offered to pull an assembly when they go back into production (no ETA).

You will notice that my initial post was some time ago. I told the dealer to take their time and do their best. That and they are dealing with a top replacement, trunk lid rubbing, paint flaking, and the finish rubbing off an internal piece…. I will be lucky to see my car in the next two weeks.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
This is Great, My replacement came off the production line as a full replacement. It has been great over the past year and a half. No rubbing and no leaks of water or air.
I have been convinced the only way to fix these top were a complete replacement. I know that they don't want to do this the first shot but it does seem to be the fix !
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Quick update - The dealer spoke to the field engineer and he got some interesting information in relations to replacing the entire mechanical assembly.

He was told that to replace the assembly it would require pulling one off the production line, and that they are not currently in active production. They did issue them a 2014 completely redesigned top and are supporting the install. If the issues persist after the installation of the new top then they have offered to pull an assembly when they go back into production (no ETA).

You will notice that my initial post was some time ago. I told the dealer to take their time and do their best. That and they are dealing with a top replacement, trunk lid rubbing, paint flaking, and the finish rubbing off an internal piece…. I will be lucky to see my car in the next two weeks.
Falundir,

Thanks for your update and we definitely appreciate your patience throughout the process. It's great to hear that your concerns are being addressed. If you have any questions, feel free to message us anytime.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote