Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
Lamborghini1616

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Lowering 2014 Camaro to 1LE Height

Hi there,

I am new to lowering my car and I was curious on how to match how the Camaro 1LE is lowered. I have a 2014 2LS I have the ZL1 rims with 275/35/20 tires on all wheels. The rear has a bit of a gap (isn't bad but I want to get rid of it) so I was curious on how to lower my car properly without it looking super ugly.

I want it proportional and to look like how Chevy lowered the 2014 1LE. How can I go about this? I was told to get lowering springs 1.5", but I don't want to get too low.

Also how much does it cost to do this? I've seen a set of springs on phastek for around $300, but I also wanna know the shop price as well as recommended brands.
Lamborghini1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
All the spring rates are different with all aftermarket lowering springs for the 5th gen Camaro. I recommend installing the Eibach Pro Kit springs or the H&R Sport springs. We are going to be installing the Eibach Pro Kit springs on our 5th gen Camaro after we get this motor oil leak we have fixed. Aftermarket lowering springs will make your struts and shock wear out faster. I would definitely install aftermarket struts and shocks at the same time you install your lowering springs. We are considering the Bilstein or Koni struts and shocks have not decided yet though.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
The 1LE uses the same springs as the SS, with different shocks. I don't think it's lower much if at all (maybe a hair lower because of the shocks).

I think what you're seeing is a visual effect with the wheels. There are other suspension bits as part of the 1LE package, but again not lowering.

My stock 1LE definitely sat pretty high (lots of wheel gap) - like 3 fingers wheel gap
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
As others have said, the SS1LE is the same height as a stock SS. The Wheels and slimmer Goodyear tires give the appearance of lower. Most don’t recommend lowering past 1.25 inches as it the vehicles geometry is affected. A complete suspension upgrade is what really improves how your car handles the road.
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
From what guys have posted up, the 1le vs an SS, seems to be about 3/8” lower in front but the same height in the rear. This is due to suspension settings, not tire diameter difference, which lowers the car a bit more. The larger front to rear difference or rake, I suspect is to give better steering turn in and negate some understeer. Measured from the lower wheel rim lip to the center of the wheel well arch the 1le is about 672mm front height and 690 rear, plus or minus 5mm.
Measure your v6 that way and you will know about what to expect
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborghini1616 View Post
Hi there,

I am new to lowering my car and I was curious on how to match how the Camaro 1LE is lowered. I have a 2014 2LS I have the ZL1 rims with 275/35/20 tires on all wheels. The rear has a bit of a gap (isn't bad but I want to get rid of it) so I was curious on how to lower my car properly without it looking super ugly.

I want it proportional and to look like how Chevy lowered the 2014 1LE. How can I go about this? I was told to get lowering springs 1.5", but I don't want to get too low.

Also how much does it cost to do this? I've seen a set of springs on phastek for around $300, but I also wanna know the shop price as well as recommended brands.

2010 2LT/RS here with Koni Orange Str.T struts and Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering springs.. However I do have the OEM ZL1 rims on the car as well. No issues.
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Lamborghini1616

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses. This helps me a ton. So I'm worried about wearing out the struts then. What exactly do I get then if it isn't recommended to get just lowering springs? I just don't want to put too much money into it.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Lamborghini1616

Also, my front wheel gap is only 2-3 fingers. Front doesn't bother me, it's mainly the back - 4-5 fingers depending on your finger size. Just letting you guys know for reference.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Also, my front wheel gap is only 2-3 fingers. Front doesn't bother me, it's mainly the back - 4-5 fingers depending on your finger size. Just letting you guys know for reference.
My
Old v6 sat the same way. The rear shocks especially has more travel. All for comfort and travel for load carrying in the back with the soft springs.I always thought of my 2010 RS as our sporty Camry with a Camaro body..lol

Oh yeah, I lowered mine with Hotchkis springs as they ride the best. Lowers about an inch.maybe a bit more in back. And yes over time your soft shocks will wear out faster, but how fast only time will tell
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #10
Lamborghini1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
My
Old v6 sat the same way. The rear shocks especially has more travel. All for comfort and travel for load carrying in the back with the soft springs.I always thought of my 2010 RS as our sporty Camry with a Camaro body..lol

Oh yeah, I lowered mine with Hotchkis springs as they ride the best. Lowers about an inch.maybe a bit more in back. And yes over time your soft shocks will wear out faster, but how fast only time will tell

So just lowering springs isn't recommended then? I just don't want to spend too much money. If lowering the car costs more than new tires, I'd rather just get a slightly higher profile tire than lower the car.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
So just lowering springs isn't recommended then? I just don't want to spend too much money. If lowering the car costs more than new tires, I'd rather just get a slightly higher profile tire than lower the car.

It cost me less than $1k for the Koni struts and Detroit Speed 1.5” lowering springs as a whole. It was close to $900 from what I remember. Tires will cost you more depending on what you go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
A lot of folks will drop the front 1" and the rear 1.25" to kinda even things out. BMR springs a reasonably priced and very popular. And you can just replace shocks n struts with OEM.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
No, the springs, if only lowering 1 to 1-1/4” are designed to work with the stock shocks. Is it perfect, no. Will shocks wear faster? Yes they can. But how much, if they do, no one knows. It’s all in the risks we take for the handling and looks. As to cheaper route,Springs are $250 plus install. A set of stock tires are like $1500.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Lamborghini1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
No, the springs, if only lowering 1 to 1-1/4” are designed to work with the stock shocks. Is it perfect, no. Will shocks wear faster? Yes they can. But how much, if they do, no one knows. It’s all in the risks we take for the handling and looks. As to cheaper route,Springs are $250 plus install. A set of stock tires are like $1500.
I was going to just get the stock size rather than from a dealership. It was $805 for everything at a local tire shop, and then I can sell my current tires for $400-$500 since they have less than 1,000 miles.

The lowering idea had me worried since I don't wanna wear out springs and struts. I guess it all depends on the price because I don't necessarily mind lowering the car. I just don't wanna mess up the lowering and end up having a car too low to the ground.