Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Vert exhaust upgrade

Hi guys

Recently purchased a 2012 vert ss and I'm ready for some mods

I want to get CAI from cold air inductions and an exhaust

Choices :

Borla cat back stype or gm performance axle back

Concerns:
Not over do the exhaust noise because it's a vert
I want to be able to cruise around and chat with the wife not yell while we are driving

So far I've put 2000 km on the car with the top up and I find at cruising speed you hear more road noise than exhaust/engine

I do hear the engine when I go WOT but it's still quiet for a 6.2

Please give me some suggestions

Thanks
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I have the exact same concerns you do (and also have a CAI intake), although perhaps slightly different goals. I want max power while remaining as 'stealthy' as possible. I did a ton of research and to make a long story short, I decided to go with ARH long tubes with high flow cats into my OE catback which includes NPP. This avoids disturbing any bracing, leaves the NPP in place and gives the best power. Many tuners and members have told me I will be pleased with the subdued sound and the HF cats lower the tone. We will soon know for sure...she's going in for surgery 5/19.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Thumbs up

2012 45th auto trans, went with muffler delete, could not be happier! Try that first, if you don't like it, then look at a complete system.

Lou
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Headers and/or high flows with the oem catback. Gives you power and a nice sound. Barely noticeable at cruise.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Seems like the only thing I post on here... Solo MACH-XC

www.h-towncamaroclub.com

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
yamaho

Drives: 12 Camaro SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Headers and/or high flows with the oem catback. Gives you power and a nice sound. Barely noticeable at cruise.
I was going to ask about high flow cats with the stock exhuast, is there a little increase in sound? Was going to do Solo axle back for a better sound, but if high flow cats give it more growl and better performance I will go that way instead and leave the rest stock.
yamaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Indydriver

What I have observed is that those enthusiasts who start at the rear of the car ultimately waste money. Start with headers and work your way back.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
What I have observed is that those enthusiasts who start at the rear of the car ultimately waste money. Start with headers and work your way back.

That makes sense
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
Indydriver

Here's another piece of advice I learned here that has helped me: Choose your tuner first. That thought process being, header choice probably isn't going to hurt your car, an inexperienced tuner can. So, I chose the tuner first and listened to his recommendations. Mine likes ARH then tunes "like it's my car that I want to last for a long time". This way, if there are any issues, I have recourse with an established shop. And keep in mind that 3" mid pipes foul the factory bracing which you do not want to remove unless you are replacing it with custom bracing ala ARH's $475 chromoly tubular replacement brace.

Headers are NOT a DIY mod. They require a tune. Spend the money, save the time and aggravation. Then, enjoy.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaho View Post
I was going to ask about high flow cats with the stock exhuast, is there a little increase in sound? Was going to do Solo axle back for a better sound, but if high flow cats give it more growl and better performance I will go that way instead and leave the rest stock.
The cats have a nice performance growl at rpm and wot, but, is very smooth and quiet while cruising. Almost like stock. No drone. The factory catback flows very well and there are 0-3rwhp gains with an aftermarket catback. Paint the factory mufflers black to hide the cans. The highflows will give you 12-15rwhp and good sound for approximately the same money as an axleback. No tune or CEL's. Go Solo. If you plan on getting LT's down the road then do not buy the high flows. Easy to r&r for warranty or emission issues if the occasion arose. Keep your factory cats.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Don't go with the borla stype - dones like crazy, tons of cabin noise at highway speeds. I love how it sounds outside of the car but hated driving with it before I got the jpipes put on. I will be switching to either the solo or sw exhausts
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Check out the video of Solo vs stock. 0 drone and just above stock in the cabin.

http://youtu.be/ACWtpTS5XXA

Sent from my iPad
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
dbauer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 Convertible
I have a CAI with Borla Stypes, personally I don't think the drone is bad. Just took it on a trip from Indy to Dallas for the Cup race and didn't bother us in the least. And the sound WOT is second to none.
That being said, I am installing a cam and long tube headers in June for my upgrades this year, keeping the Borlas. I expect a bit more noise and some drone with a mid level cam and headers.
dbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
Desert Stealth

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
We are very pleased with our setup. 2013 SS convertible:

http://www.stainlessworks.net/chevy-...0-headers.html Stainless Works long tube headers and Hi-Flow Cats

http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro
along with Solo Performance Exhaust Mach XC Cat Back w/J pipes. The Solo Cat back is designed specifically for Camaro convertibles.

You will get a CEL. If you leave AFM in place, your car will "fart." I had my wife's car tuned (removed AFM, eliminated the CEL, etc).
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote