Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
CF VS Aluminum Driveshafts, Pros and Cons.

I am at some point going to be adding a 1 Piece shaft to my car, I have gone from Steel to Aluminum on older Camaros before and definitely noticed the difference.

What are the Pros and Cons of each?

Is there a smoothness and noise difference?
Longevity?
I don't mind spending a bit more if it is worth it.
Is there any difference in drive ability?

Thanks you

https://driveshaftshop.com/product/2...n-fiber-shaft/

https://driveshaftshop.com/product/c...ce-driveshaft/
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
I've had both plenty of times. I can't recommend one over the other for any noticeable difference. "They" say the CF is stronger but I haven't seen an alum get thrashed due to power.

I've experienced the epoxy give way on the early CF driveshafts (rear joint to yoke). Quick RMA and the issue has been resolved and haven't had a (re)occurrence (been 5 years ago). They say if the exhaust to too close to that joint then problems could occur (wasn't my issue - it was the epoxy cure process). The CF is no quieter and will act as a speaker to noise in the driveline (like the alum will). Weight-wise, the CF is a little lighter but I don't think that would affect anything.

Said and done, the alum is less expensive and would suit almost anyone's need for a stronger driveshaft. Just my two-cents.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
Joe.G

SO you are saying you didn't notice any noise or Vibration/Harmonics between the 2? To Me smoother and less NVH is worth something.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Old 07-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
SO you are saying you didn't notice any noise or Vibration/Harmonics between the 2? To Me smoother and less NVH is worth something.
I did not notice any NVH difference with my 9"/ZL1 diffs. YMMV.

DSS claims to balance the CF at 10k rpm. I calculate I would be turning the shaft 9,745rpms when at 200mph. So, I guess that's a good calculation if you're going to run stupid fast (the mile run). I think mine is a 4" (might be 3.75") I obtained with my DSS 9" conversion. I see DSS has the CF 3.25" and 3.375" listed. Alum's are 3.5" and 4".

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
CF in mine, road coursed with it. Dreksnot is spot on with his analysis. I like the CF but either will work - it's only money ;o).

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
Joe.G

Only Like a $700 difference, its only money lol. I don't plan on getting rid of the car any time soon and I have learned to kinda do it the way you want the first time. I am sure the aluminum would be find but I have heard some people complain about a vibration issue and I really am trying to avoid that, That is the one reason the Hendrix offset bushings are sitting on the shelf.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 07-20-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Definitely saw a little more NVH with the aluminum, but I don't hear so well anymore so not a big deal. No experience with the CF.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #8
Joe.G

I have heard that with Aluminum. CF I believe is quieter.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 07-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #9
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I also have the Hendrix offset on mine too ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have the 3.5 inch aluminum one in my Camaro from DSS and really love it! A little more NVH, but not too bad, and I also have the solid cradle mounts as well. Both are good shafts, but if you don't really need the CF for racing purposes, why pay the extra money if you don't have to. The aluminum one will be just fine.. Had mine in the car for about 1.5 yrs now.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #11
Joe.G

I agree with the Extra cost and maybe not needing it, But I I do hear a few stories of NVH increasing a lot on some cars with Aluminum shafts. If I can avoid that then the extra money is worth it to me. my Z/28 I have had for over 25 Years and I plan to keep this one as well.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 08-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #12
Joe.G

Anyone ever deal with either of these companies?

https://pstds.com/product/aluminum-camaro-driveshaft

https://www.qa1.net/automotive/drive...er-driveshafts
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Old 08-06-2022, 04:38 AM   #13
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post

I ordered an aluminum one from gulf coast driveshafts a little over a week ago. https://www.gulfcoastdriveshaft.com/.../ds-cssa-g535/

Shipped on Monday, received it on Wednesday. Unfortunately they sent a 6th gen shaft. I sent it back and the correct one is due to arrive Monday. Mistakes happen, customer service is top notch and they dont mess around. Owned up to the mistake and got me taken care of quickly.

The 6th gen shaft looked very nice and well built.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #14
Joe.G

looks like a nice product please post back, I am trying to avoid NVH/Vibration that is why I was leaning towards carbon. I have read quite a few issues with DSS Aluminum shafts causing NVH/Vibration.

DSS seems to be the most popular for these cars but that maybe because these other companies don't advertise the 5th Gen shafts well.

On Monday I am going to call these companies and ask them a few questions. I think I would prefer an aluminum shaft if it is smooth.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,