Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
If anyone can build a Vega that can easily outrun 911's and Corvettes around the road course, hit 10 second quarter miles, have a top end over 200 in the Texas mile and still be a comfortable commuter car that I drive to whatever racing venue I happen to be heading to ( I don't own a trailer) for less money that the ZL1. I might be interested. I haven't seen that Vega yet. The ZL1 really is an amazing car with a lot of potential. I do like that it happens to be pretty but that played no part in my personal decision to buy it. Maybe I'm the rare exception but there are people like me out there.

Don't get me wrong, if I purchased it new and found the paint was messed up I would expect the dealer to fix it. I bought mine used and even if it has a scuff or scratch that won't stop it from going 200 mph.
Thank you. That is what I wanted to hear. The OP wants the over spray fixed and I think that is logical, not irrational.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
The paint job on my ZL1 is not up to standards, very visible when the car is black. Compaired to my brothers 2012 mustang, the mustangs finish is excellent. After many, many, many,.... coats of wax the ZED now looks great. Best not to touch up the paint unless its to obvious. I am sure the 55-60K goes to its engine, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain, not on esthetics. My 2000 Camaro however had an water smooth perfect paint finish. Anyways they have to cut somewhere to make these beasts affordable.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Pictures please. I can't take this anymore.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
The paint job on my ZL1 is not up to standards, very visible when the car is black. Compaired to my brothers 2012 mustang, the mustangs finish is excellent. After many, many, many,.... coats of wax the ZED now looks great. Best not to touch up the paint unless its to obvious. I am sure the 55-60K goes to its engine, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain, not on esthetics. My 2000 Camaro however had an water smooth perfect paint finish. Anyways they have to cut somewhere to make these beasts affordable.
Sorry to hear about your paint not being up to standards. GMs paint seems to be getting worse again. Check out the Corvette C7 forums, and you'll see what I mean. I don't know what is happening to this company. I have a couple of older GM cars, and the paint is excellent.

BTW, it is not automatically cheaper to do a bad job of painting than a good one. GM screwed up their paint processes, and the processes cost just as much as if they did it right. In fact, it may actually cost them more in the long run with plant and warranty paint repairs. Add to this the number of sales lost, and then what is it costing them? Some auto manufacturers sell cars for $15K that have good paint jobs.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #33
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Wow guys, seems no respect was given to anyone on this thread. Everyone being rude to one another... We're all better than this. Just because we sit behind a computer screen doesn't give anyone the right to act the way you guys are acting toward each other.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Kinda funny to see how people react to their paint like this with a camaro. You guys would sh!t yourself if you saw how some of the vehicles come in straight off the boat from Ferrari when I get my hands on them. I've had to wet sand entire panels of cars that cost 7x the amount of a loaded ZL1, so no matter your vehicle make there will always be faults with paint. A good detailer will be able to see if the peel can be knocked down, if not save some cash up and go get a custom paint job, and get ready to easily spend 12k for a nice show finish paint job and not have your car for a longgg time.
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Sorry to hear about your paint not being up to standards. GMs paint seems to be getting worse again. Check out the Corvette C7 forums, and you'll see what I mean. I don't know what is happening to this company. I have a couple of older GM cars, and the paint is excellent.

BTW, it is not automatically cheaper to do a bad job of painting than a good one. GM screwed up their paint processes, and the processes cost just as much as if they did it right. In fact, it may actually cost them more in the long run with plant and warranty paint repairs. Add to this the number of sales lost, and then what is it costing them? Some auto manufacturers sell cars for $15K that have good paint jobs.

Michael
C7 has paint issues now?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I'm thinking a good polishing will take care of any over spray issues...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
I dunno about some of you but I saw my car come off the trailer then I test drove after spacers were removed. They then detailed it and I returned the next day to pick it up. At that point I went over the entire car inside and out while the sales manager stood there waiting on me to sign the check. I told him when I was happy so would he! I wouldn't have taken delivery of it period if it had blemishes or overspray. I did find a small chip in trunk area but decided I could live with it cuz it was so small and hidden from view. Thing I tell my boys is don't get too excited and want to take it without a good inspection and test drive. Things happen and no one is perfect when building anything but you don't have to settle for less unless ur used to settling!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #38
spratleyea
Graphic artist

Drives: 2010 wht w/silver ralley stripes
Quote:
There are a lot of people on here who don't understand why GM's U.S. market share is at an 88 year low. Neither does the UAW.

Michael
Yeah, I wondered that myself. It's the details they need to focus on. Good point. Fortunatly my white 2SS paint was spot on.
spratleyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
There are a lot of people on here who don't understand why GM's U.S. market share is at an 88 year low. Neither does the UAW.

Michael
....wut......?????? Elaborate......
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #40
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
If anyone can build a Vega that can easily outrun 911's and Corvettes around the road course, hit 10 second quarter miles, have a top end over 200 in the Texas mile and still be a comfortable commuter car that I drive to whatever racing venue I happen to be heading to ( I don't own a trailer) for less money that the ZL1. I might be interested. I haven't seen that Vega yet. The ZL1 really is an amazing car with a lot of potential. I do like that it happens to be pretty but that played no part in my personal decision to buy it. Maybe I'm the rare exception but there are people like me out there.

Don't get me wrong, if I purchased it new and found the paint was messed up I would expect the dealer to fix it. I bought mine used and even if it has a scuff or scratch that won't stop it from going 200 mph.
What he said.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #41
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Half the people who are bitten by snakes, die trying to find the one that bit them so they can kill it.

You can fight the battle with the dealer and they may agree to send it out to the Earl Scheibs again to fix it. Or you can put your efforts into finding a good paint guy that will know how to fix the overspray and orange peel which all factory paint jobs have. Paint also shrinks and that has an effect on the appearance. Find out how many coats of clear are on factory Camaros and have your paint guy wet sand with 1600 grit, then buff out. That will fix the shrunk paint, orange peel, and overspray. That info was provided by my 30 year paint guy :-)
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....Damn, I owned a Vega,...what he said....loved that car....Grumpy ran one....!