Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
How to clean sharpie off leather and everything else in ur car.

Long story short. My 2 year old boy was playing in the car while I was detailing it this afternoon. He found the silver sharpie. :eek: I look in...silver sharpie all over the left door.. .leather and plastic. All over the steering wheel, top, center, radio controls, left blinker. All over the center console, both cupholders, stick shift. :eek: All over the back leather seat and passenger side plastic whatchamacallit (holds the speaker). A few marks between the rear seats on the hump in the carpet. I freak out. I try to use rubbing alky. It lightens up the door pretty good. Ouch. Wife runs out w/ ............

MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER. Cleaned it all up.

Check it out if you haven't ever tried it. This thing cleans just about everything. I can't tell you how freaked I was. But, after a few minutes of scrubbing w/ the eraser and it was pretty good. I slapped some leather treatment on the seats, etc. and it was good as new, no probs.

Lesson learned...Don't let boyo play in the car unsupervised. I also found a strange noise of what sounded like change falling or rattling around evertime I turned the steering wheel. Yeah, he thought it would be fun to put my spare change in the top of the steering wheel. I got it out though.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Kids, got to love um..
KILLER74Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

How could I be mad at my little guy. He had no clue. His hands had silver sharpie all over them. I found numerous spots he touched w/ his sharpie handprints....kinda funny. Luckily, it all came off. That scared the hell outta me for sure.

So I almost did the whole detail today. Began at noon and finished at 6pm. Started w/ the dawn soap to strip the wax, then hit it with the clay bar, washed it w/ pantene pro v, then used the orbital buffer w/ the step 3 mothers detail, step 2 mothers detail, and finally ran out of light. I still have the mothers synwax to apply, but don't think that's gonna get done. I tried to take some pix, but they all turned out fuzzy in the dark. I'll post some pix tomorrow. Here's the only cool shot that came out.

Still kinda fuzzy and out of focus.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
SSFreak11

Drives: 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
That is one beautiful piece of American Muscle!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
:eek: Man! You had me sweatin' that one Tag! Glad everything turned out OK!

Car looks awesome! 'Mothers' is good "stuff". I used that before switching to "Zaino'.

Ed

Here's a pic. of the SS with my brother's C6.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
camaro2009
camaro2009

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 AGM 6M #0369
Send a message via Yahoo to camaro2009
I sure do love lookin at that camaro, damn fine piece of machinery, I let the wife read the threads, she is a firm believer in MR. Clean magic eraser. Her question was: why Pantene to wash the car, and what kind?
1974 Camaro Type LT
1995 Camaro Plum V-6 Auto 80k original miles

Traded the '10 SS for the BAD ASS 2013 ZL-1 AGM ,M-6 Once again the thanks go out to my wonderful wife and a chance encounter while servicing my Duramax!! Destiny......nope...FATE
camaro2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2009 View Post
I sure do love lookin at that camaro, damn fine piece of machinery, I let the wife read the threads, she is a firm believer in MR. Clean magic eraser. Her question was: why Pantene to wash the car, and what kind?
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The dawn cuts through all the wax and gets it down to bear clear coat. The clay bar takes off all the imperfections. Now, you're down to no protection on the paint. I was told Pantene was extremely mild and very gentle on the paint. One of the guys on another forum has tried just about everything and stuck w/ the pantene. Thought I'd give it a try. It turned out great! Lemme find out what kind and I'll edit this post here in a couple. Edit: Just regular old pantene pro v. Type I used was for "thick and full" hair.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
AH......December in Texas, and a guy can still wash his car in shorts. haha
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestizo View Post
AH......December in Texas, and a guy can still wash his car in shorts. haha
Hell, Yeah!

Oh, and the pantene is supposed to put oils back in the paint that it loses over time. I don't know if that's true or not, but why not give it a shot? Also, I've heard a teaspoon of olive oil is also supposed to help. I've never tried that one, though.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Now, you're down to no protection on the paint. I was told Pantene was extremely mild and very gentle on the paint. One of the guys on another forum has tried just about everything and stuck w/ the pantene.

No disrespect TAG, BUT COME ON, are you friggen kidding, you bought that line of poo. People, what do you think base coat /clear coat paint is? Base = paint = color and sheet metal protector (Keeps your metal from rusting). Clear Coat = paint protector and shine (a shield for the paint from the elements). Do you honestly think that car soap is going to damage your clear coat? “Now, you're down to no protection on the paint”. Now that’s a good one.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Hell, Yeah!

Oh, and the pantene is supposed to put oils back in the paint that it looses over time. I don't know if that's true or not, but why not? Also, I've heard a teaspoon of olive oil is also supposed to help. I've never tried that one, though.
I don't even know how to come back on that one...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yup, what I said does sound a little "off". When I said no protection at all and that it's down to the paint, I should have said clear coat. What I mean by protection is the wax that is applied on top of the paint. No protection at all is no wax. How do you feel when all the wax is stripped off your car? You feel like there is no protection at all.

As far as the "puts oils back in the paint"...clear coat is on top of the "paint". You can't put oils back into paint when you can't even get to the paint. I read the detailing thread from the guys who posted it (CamaroZ28.com) and they said pantene was supposed to help the paint. I don't know and I couldn't tell you if it really worked. It looks badass and let me tell you....it smelled great when I was cleaning it!!! As you see above, I said,

Quote:
Oh, and the pantene is supposed to put oils back in the paint that it loses over time. I don't know if that's true or not, but why not give it a shot?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM   #14
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
Hey just as long as he doesn't put "Herbal Essance" on the Camaro, and start saying "Ohhhh Ahhhh....Oh Yes Oh Yes....YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry, I had to take an easy shot.
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote