Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
iupui1299

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS Convertible Indy 500
My Review of a Camaro LS

EDIT: It was a 1LT model not an LS.

Let me first start out by giving you some background on my camaro experience. Since I was 3 years old I have been in love with the camaro. I have owned two so far in my 32 years. The first was a 1991 Red RS V6 and the 2nd was a 1997 30th anniversary white Z28 convertible with orange stripes. I also have owned one other f-body, a 1999 navy blue pontiac firehawk. I have always had a desire to purchase a brand new camaro. I have bought several brand new cars but never a camaro. That being said when the camaro stopped being produced in 2002 I was pretty bummed and have always been looking, watching and waiting for the revival of one of America's finest automobiles.

So fast forward to today and the revival has become a reality. Since my lease is not up on my truck until February and right now I am not financially strong enough to take on an extra car payment I am currently waiting patiently for my time to come. So to tide me over I decided to check out the Avis at the local airport and rent a camaro. Lucky for me they had several colors to choose from...however they were all 1LT models.....so v6, base wheels, cloth, base stereo, no RS package. But no big deal, if I liked the V6 then I knew I'd love the V8. I wanted yellow but that was not in so I took my second choice.....inferno orange. This car did have a sunroof so that was a nice extra. I was so excited to finally get to drive the vehicle I have spent so much time reading about.

Engine: There is quite a bit of pick up in the V6 model. If you have never had a V8 then you'll enjoy the V6. If you have experienced a V8 then you won't be happy with the V6. It's a fantastic engine and the gas mpg is great but there is nothing like the rumble of a V8 and the power that goes with it. I drove all over and was just barely under 1/2 a tank when I returned the car. Thats a very nice pro and I thought I could settle for a V6 but it has to be V8 all the way for me.

Handling: One of my favorite features of the car was the steering and the way the car handled. The steering wheel itself is very nice and is very tight. The car handles like no other camaro I have ever driven. I felt zero body roll when taking corners. All things I am not used to in a camaro. I am used to loud, loose and slightly boat like rides. This was the opposite. It didn't feel like a camaro....it felt like a new creation.....a better one.

Interior: The fit and finish of the interior is excellent and the cloth seats felt great to me. Driving the car at night is a treat as the interior lights are perfect and really give you the feeling that your driving a classic/futuristic car all wrapped up into one. This vehicle did not have the ambient lighting so I can't comment on that. I would upgrade to the Boston Acoustic Audio system. The base system needs some upgrading for sure. I did enjoy the XM radio. you have to have access to good music when driving a car like this. The car also had a sunroof. I have always kind of thought the sunroof wasn't necessary especially on a camaro but I actually have enjoyed it a lot. There wasn't a lot of wind noise when driving with it open. I will probably add a sunroof when I place an order.

Tranny: This was an automatic and as nice as it drove and shifted......I would have to have the manual. It just felt like something was missing not being able to shift the car myself. When I order one it will definetly be a M6.

Attention Factor: One of my favorite parts has been the attention this car gets. Everywhere I have stopped at least one person has said something to me about the car. They ask me where I got it or they say they haven't seen one before and so on and so on. I also get random people yelling things at me and giving me the thumbs up. At one point last night I thought I was getting pulled over. I saw white flashing lights in my rear view mirror. When I looked to see what it was and if I needed to pull over I saw a car full of people taking pictures. So needless to say all those people who say the car gets attention are SO right.

Cons: There are only two things I am not crazy about. One would be the trunk opening. The size inside the trunk is fine. The opening is tiny and if you had big suitcases you'll have to figure out another way to get them in. The second thing is the visibilty. It's definetly hard to see out when backing up but in all honesty it's not a big deal and something you just have to get used to because no car is perfect.

If your wondering what it costs to rent one of these things at AVIS it is 140 during the weekday and 200 on the weekend. Totally worth it to me if your just dying to drive this car while it's still fresh out of the box and you don't mind all the attention the car will receive. Here are a few pics of the car. Sorry for the long post and if you have to drive the car now but can't purchase one yet look into renting one at AVIS. Think of it as an extended yet expensive test drive.

Last edited by iupui1299; 05-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.
iupui1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Tal

Drives: Old
Looks like an LT but glad you liked it. $140/day is a bit ridiculous though, you could pay for the car in 6 months at that rate!
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
iupui1299

Yeah, it's pricey...I had a AAA membership and ended up getting it for $121. It was worth every penny though....I had a blast! If I enjoy a 1LT this much I can't fathom the SS.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
iupui1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
Looks like an LT but glad you liked it. $140/day is a bit ridiculous though, you could pay for the car in 6 months at that rate!

You're right...it's a 1LT.....I shoudl have known that.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
modiecast

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS / Sold my 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by iupui1299 View Post
You're right...it's a 1LT.....I shoudl have known that.
Definately an LT1
modiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
This is good reading. Would suggest somehow you go back in and break it into praragraphs so it is easier to read.

Looks like one big run-on mish-mash otherwise. Just very very hard to read.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Holy enourmous paragraph batman! Dude, find the "enter" key and use it brah!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I hope he doesn't talk like that in person. It would take all the oxygen out of the air in the immediate vicinity.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year
Greenrail,

LOL
Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Whoa...200 bucks a day for the weekend? GM should get into the rental buisness!
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
iupui1299

Sorry guys, see above....hopefully that's better.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Nice report. Clean car.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
iupui1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
This is good reading. Would suggest somehow you go back in and break it into praragraphs so it is easier to read.

Looks like one big run-on mish-mash otherwise. Just very very hard to read.

Greenrail-

I love your color choice on the car. Black with orange stripes and the inferno interior looks awesome. I bet it would look sick with some black rims. Good choice!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Getting the cars to the rental companies before the hardcore pre-orders thats just wrong on so many levels. At any rate glad u enjoyed the ride.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote