The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Corvette Designers Talk at C7 West Coast Debut (Peterson Auto Museum)

"I attended the 60th Aniversary dinner gala at the Peterson Automotive Museum this evening, where the C7 made is West Coast debut.

You've seen the pictures, but don't bother making your decisions about whether you like the car or not until you see it in person.

It is absolutely gorgeous!!! It is one of the best looking cars of all time. The proportions are perfect. The design has real detail. This car will turn heads. It's really a beautiful car.

Forget what you've heard, or think you have seen in pictures, about the back looking like a Camaro. When you see it in person, you will see it doesn't look anything like a Camaro. It's completely different, including the entire shape of the back end.

I did learn a few things during the talk given by Kirk Bennion, and in talking with him and Art Spong, Brand Quality Manager for Corvette.

* They added the chrome piece to the grille to balance out the chrome tailpipes at the rear.

* The design studio wanted large tailpipes, 4.5", but they had to get innovative with the design and contour them in diameter to meet the weight targets specified by the Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter.

* The area of the rear spoiler where it fits to the body, where a number of people here this forum were complaining was poor quality, is actually an intentional bevel that increases downforce.

* The hood is high enough that it could accomodate the current ZR1 engine, but they would not commit to saying they would be adding a supercharger (I didn't expect them to spill any beans).

* The roof is a half inch lower, but care was no reduced over the C6.

* The Cyber Gray car on display was used as a model for design approval by the GM Board. It does not have a full interior.

* The staggered wheel sizes help fill out the high back.

* The trans and diff coolers have fans which aid cooling if the air flow into the fender vents is insufficient.

* The side mirrors went through extensive design work, so they only contribute 1.5% to the overall drag of the car.

* The European side mirrors will have the mandatory repeater lights on the side.

* There is ducting under the car for brake cooling (I could not see this).

* The bottom of the car has a flatter profile than the C6 for better aerodynamic drag.

* The A-pillars are a very glossy black finish.

* The dimensions of the C7 are very close to those of the 2013 911. They wanted to create a Corvette with a "responsible size". The wheels are pushed out further to the ends of the car than the 911.

* They wanted to extend the front of the car over the C6, to give it more character.

* The side coves are designed such that they actually reduce aerodynamic drag.

* The hot hood extractor air makes its way to the sides of the car, so it is not ingested by the HVAC system.

* The design of the new Corvette was open to GM's design studios around the world, and over 3000 designs were submitted, which they then reviewed and cataloged.

* Kirk Bennion said that a good, lasting design is one which pushes people a bit out of their comfort zone.

* On a historical note, Dave Hill, chief engineer of the C5 was not supportive of a race program, but went along with it after convincing by other members of the Corvette Team. Dave Hill later supported the program after seeing what a success it was.

* The Corvette Race Program is treated as a business in that it is measured for its affect on sales, and actually exceeds that of NASCAR for dollars spent per customer sale resulted. They track visitors to the Corvette tent for later sales."

This was posted over there, some interesting information so I figured I'd bring it over here.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Interesting tidbits. And I fully concur with seeing in person vs. photos. I felt the same way when I saw the red one in the CHI auto show. I was speechless. Totally in awe.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
:Cry:I still haven't seen one in person.:Cry:
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
:Cry:I still haven't seen one in person.:Cry:
Neither have I. But I don't have anywhere NEAR the anticipation as I did the Camaro. Mainly because I know I won't be buying a C7. Not until I can get one used.

My time will come to see one.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
I think my local Rick Hendricks dealer may have one. Gonna call my buddy that's the finance manager.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I think my local Rick Hendricks dealer may have one. Gonna call my buddy that's the finance manager.
Have a new hand-built test-mule one?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
They had on display the VIN 1 Mr. Hendricks bought last month he said. But it's gone now, it's on tour to his big dealers. It was there only for 2 days.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Bad@ss'vette
Another C7 Dreamer ó_ò

Drives: 1SS/1LE ...this summer
Quote:
Interesting tidbits. And I fully concur with seeing in person vs. photos. I felt the same way when I saw the red one in the CHI auto show. I was speechless. Totally in awe.
I plan on making it to the New York Auto Show to get an upclose and personal acquaintance with it. maybe Tifarah Aragona wil be there too too
Bad@ss'vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ss'vette View Post
maybe Tifarah Aragona wil be there too too
Who's that?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Can't wait to see it in person! I couldn't make it to this year's Chicago show to see it so I might have to wait until the dealers get it
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
WesC5

Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
More excellent info...thanks!

I'm sure you would have included it...but I have to ask... Did anyone ask....or did GM hint at the cost? Any discussion about the "lower" entry level C7?

It's the 2LT for me....but I'm hoping GM will allow it to go for under 60k....

WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
They had on display the VIN 1 Mr. Hendricks bought last month he said. But it's gone now, it's on tour to his big dealers. It was there only for 2 days.
There's no current manufactured/production model yet... Hendricks will get #0001 from the assembly line once it's built. This was stated during the BJ auction. All the current ones we see in shows and road tested are handbuilt pre-production mule models...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Who's that?
Chev's spokesperson. Look at the other threads with pics & vids and you'll aee a 6foot blonde model-spokeperson...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesC5 View Post
More excellent info...thanks!

I'm sure you would have included it...but I have to ask... Did anyone ask....or did GM hint at the cost? Any discussion about the "lower" entry level C7?

It's the 2LT for me....but I'm hoping GM will allow it to go for under 60k....

Low-mid 50s projected estimate for a base Stingray. Sooner or later we'll all see the actual publicly-announced MSRP...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
the red display, show car is still owned by GM and is a one-off hand built model (I thought). It's just there for exactly that, display. Hendricks bought the rights to the first production car (VIN 001) which won't be built until July/August of this summer. For a cool $1.6 million if I remember correctly but most of the proceeds go to charity so if he wants to donate that much (and Lord knows, he's got it to donate) then awesome. I had the pleasure of meeting him very briefly when I lived in Mooresville a long time ago. LMAO - with as many 'Vettes as the man owns he could, very literally, start his own museum. He's been collecting them since he was 16 I believe.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote