Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
Kenz Camaro

Drives: 1994 Impala SS
Random Thoughts......

A couple things I'm wondering:
1) Somewhere on this website, I believe in maybe a magazine article, a person repeated how close the production version will be to the concept "even down to the nifty push-pull door handles" or something like that. I assume they must have been referring to the exterior door handles but, has anyone here had the chance to "experience" these? Care to elaborate?
2) I'm pretty excited about the independent rear suspension (IRS) but am fairly "old school" and remember the good ol' traction bars on my '68 Rally Sport. I'm sure with horsepower in the 400+ range, it'll be pretty simple to smoke the rear tires (although I won't like the cost of 22" or 21" or 20" or??? tire$$$$$), so does anyone know how IRS handles wheel spin? What about wheel hop etc?
Thanx for any insight.
Ken
Kenz Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
1. Door handles were supposed to "go" according to a few GM employees I was speaking with. They seemed very sure of themselves. Still, we are unsure at this time. The way they work is simple. You push the back end of the handle in which pops the front end of the handle out. Grab onto the front end of the handle and pull opening the door.

2. I haven't a clue how the IRS is supposed to handle when spinning the tires. I would imagine GM wouldn't want wheelhop and would take the time to build it right to avoid any wheelhop. Personally, I'm not going to be shredding any tires if they are going to have 21s and 22's on'em.....hell no. That's like spending $5 every time you peel out!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
From what I've gathered, the door handles on the concept won't see production.

As for the IRS, I couldn't shed too much light on that one. It's not really an issue for me, re: drop clutch launches, as I don't plan on drag racing it.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
IRS definitely helps in handling and makes the car much more sure footed. I base this on driving an Infiniti G35 coupe M6 and 3 series BMW (both RWD, IRS). Compared to the live rear axle cars I've driven (Mustang GT, WS6 trans Am), it feels alot grippier (if that's a real word, probably not), and you feel more confident in the corners. If the IRS on this new Camaro is of similiar caliber to the Infiniti and Beemer, it should have no problems being autocrossed and handling tough road courses.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
IRS definitely helps in handling and makes the car much more sure footed. I base this on driving an Infiniti G35 coupe M6 and 3 series BMW (both RWD, IRS). Compared to the live rear axle cars I've driven (Mustang GT, WS6 trans Am), it feels alot grippier (if that's a real word, probably not), and you feel more confident in the corners. If the IRS on this new Camaro is of similiar caliber to the Infiniti and Beemer, it should have no problems being autocrossed and handling tough road courses.
As someone who plans to use this car as a daily driver, I am very much looking forward to the IRS. Driving in cars with an IRS is day and night from cars with a SAS. Honestly, I am fully confident that GM will be able to develop an IRS that is every bit as good as a solid axle and then some.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Mungo

Drives: trans am
The Zetta platform has IRS this is the same platform as the Holden Commodore VE. When one of the magazines tested it, they said the handling was superb and that steering is pratically neutral. As far as wheel spin with IRS? Go drive a Corvette. They have had it for years. Last years Z06 had a little problem with small bumps in the road giving the car a jerk, but the GM engineers have changed the damping rate in the rear and the problem went away.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
It is supposed to grip the road better, and Ive heard they are going to make sure there is no wheel hop.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
The Zetta platform has IRS this is the same platform as the Holden Commodore VE. When one of the magazines tested it, they said the handling was superb and that steering is pratically neutral. As far as wheel spin with IRS? Go drive a Corvette. They have had it for years. Last years Z06 had a little problem with small bumps in the road giving the car a jerk, but the GM engineers have changed the damping rate in the rear and the problem went away.
I recall reading an article similar to this one. It had mentioned that driving the new IRS car (don't know what it was) compared to a 4th Gen was a night/day difference. I can't wait to see how it handles. GM is heading in the right direction w/ this one, that's for sure. I can't wait to see how it handles....more like luxury sports should be. I wan't a muscle car, but if it drives like a luxury vehicle, that's even better!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
This is the only review I could pull up on the new Commodore, and it's just the V6 at that. However, it does give us some insight into the performance and handling.

Quote:
Holden Commodore

Test date 31 July 2006 Price when new £24,000

Holden Commodore

The Commodore has a four-speed auto, but otherwise offers high competence at a low price in Oz

What is it?

The new four-door saloon from Holden. European Car firms don’t make cars like the new Commodore any more. Remember the Vauxhall Omega and Ford Scorpio? Once popular, these large, rear-drive sedans from high-volume manufacturers were eventually overwhelmed by the consumer shift to prestige brands. But not in Australia, where the Commodore and Ford’s alternative, the Falcon, are still best sellers.
What’s it like?

Although it is essential for the Commodore to remain affordable, the benchmarks for the all-new fourth-generation model have been set as the previous-generation BMW 528i for dynamics and Audi A6 for quality. New multi-link rear suspension – similar in concept to that on the Cadillac CTS, but with integrated spring/damper units – replaces a semi-trailing arm system. The steering rack has been moved ahead of the axle line and the MacPherson strut at the front has become a multi-link strut. Body stiffness is up by almost 50 per cent; one-piece body side pressings have been adopted and the fuel tank has moved from under the boot to ahead of the rear axles. Across a seven-tier model range, priced from just £14,965 to £23,850 for lucky Australians, the VE runs two revised 3.6-litre quad-cam V6s, the Melbourne-built Global V6 used in other guises in various Saabs, Vauxhalls and Alfa Romeos. Omega and Berlina models run the 235bhp variant with an ancient four-speed automatic ’box, whereas the SV6, SS and Calais models run the higher-revving 260bhp unit, mated to a five-speed automatic. Sitting above the V6 range is GM’s 6.0-litre V8, which pumps out 362bhp and 391lb ft with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic ’box. Take note: in 2007 Vauxhall wants to import both the V8-powered SS V and the HSV; the latter has more than 400bhp. The wheelbase grows a massive 126mm to 2915mm, although overall length is up only 18mm to 4894mm, and the tracks have been pushed out by 33mm at the front and 41mm at the rear. Buyers have the choice of anything from 16in to 19in wheels, depending upon the model, which fill flared front arches. On Australian roads, the Omega steers and rides better than a current 530i. The handling, too, is just right; a confidence-inspiring blend of linear turn-in, genuine steering feel, plenty of grip and predictability, combined with a ride that soaks up the worst bumps and remains controlled. The stiffer sports suspension works on the SS, but is too firm for the Calais. Once, Australia’s domestic cars trailed the world for refinement. Go beyond the Omega’s whiney low-speed engine noise and limitations of the four-speed automatic and this is a sophisticated, no-compromise range. Considering the price, it’s a remarkable achievement.
Should I buy one?

If you live in Australia, absolutely: the new Commodore is a bargain. Unfortunately for the Brits, the whole range is not heading to the UK. Still, although it could almost be worth emigrating for, the UK will get the V8 models sometime in 2007. Peter Robinson
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...3.5-V6/221601/
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote