Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #29
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
not that I need this at this point, but THANK YOU for proving that DUCH wrong, and supplying all of us with the same ability!
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #30
Blue Magic

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS/RS
This is a Louisiana law which may not be enforced all the time but still a citable offense. I guess it would be a roll of the dice if a person gets pulled over and cited.
Headlamps on motor vehicles; motorcycles and motor driven cycles
D.(1) Every headlamp described in this Section shall emit a white light only, including light emitted by white high intensity discharge forward lighting.
(2) No motor vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps that are off-road colored lights. The provisions of this Sub-paragraph shall not apply to white emitting lights.
TSP 1 7/8" Headers, Cat Delete / Flowtech Mufflers, Vmax CNC Ported TB, SLP UD Pulley 25%, Elite Catch Can, Vararam CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, Taylor 49 Race Wires, Mishimoto Silicone Hoses, B&M Transmission Pan,
Tampa Tuning Tweaked & Tweaked again
Blue Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #31
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Magic View Post
This is a Louisiana law which may not be enforced all the time but still a citable offense. I guess it would be a roll of the dice if a person gets pulled over and cited.
Headlamps on motor vehicles; motorcycles and motor driven cycles
D.(1) Every headlamp described in this Section shall emit a white light only, including light emitted by white high intensity discharge forward lighting.
(2) No motor vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps that are off-road colored lights. The provisions of this Sub-paragraph shall not apply to white emitting lights.
Halos are not headlamps. Headlamps are defined as devices that project light for the intent of improving visibility.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #32
Falundir

Interestingly enough the exact same officer that cited me for this initially pulled me over again tonight and refused to even listen to what I had to say.

Since this was defeated before, and I have the above documentation, this will be easy. However, this time I am going to ensure that this becomes case law and it goes on file with their police department.

Once this is done they will be unable to challenge the color of the LEDs again.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
tohper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks bud my front end lighting will be installed next week I'm. Going to hang onto this info
Body-removed stock decals had painted in inferno orange
tohper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
What a dick. I know that most cops aren't like this and I'm always ultra-respectful whenever interacting with an officer, but there is always some truth behind stereotypes and this guy seems to lend credence to the thought that police are powertripping assholes.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
SemperGumby
I'll probably offend you

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Too many people just accept a ticket and pay the fine, not knowing that they actually are not only allowed to plead not guilty but can argue their point in the court and win.

If I'm guilty, like REALLY guilty, I'll pay my fine and go about my business. But it's high time these dick-a-cops learn who they actually work for. Don't try to pass me with your 0% tint, talking on the cell phone, eating a damn donut with no seatbelt on, and then pull me over for just about anything unless I'm murdering a prostitute in the front seat.
SemperGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #36
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
This isn't just for amber halos! But this guy did this!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290710
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #37
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Problem is that the system often makes it cost prohibitive to defend. After a day off work and court cost even the innocent can be out of pocket more than the amount of the original citation.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
This may be a stupid question, but why go thru all the hassle just to have amber halos? If you get pulled over and harrassed/ticketed by the cops on a regular basis and then end up having to go to court every time sounds like a whole lot of trouble just to have a particular color halo..

And I seriously doubt you'll be able to get the law changed, but good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
SemperGumby
I'll probably offend you

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but why go thru all the hassle just to have amber halos? If you get pulled over and harrassed/ticketed by the cops on a regular basis and then end up having to go to court every time sounds like a whole lot of trouble just to have a particular color halo..

And I seriously doubt you'll be able to get the law changed, but good luck!
Because the LAW states that he can do what he was doing. It's cops that think they know the law, and really don't, that need to be changed. And if enough people believe a law is unjust, then they have the right to try to get it changed.

And he wasn't going to try to get the law changed, he is going to get it so that his case is referenced in court and part of the training for future cops.
SemperGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #40
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
As long as he just cites you for color you should be fine. If you have an RS, the "Halo" is your legal park lamp, though, and needs to meet the legal requirements for Parking Lamps as outlined in FMVSS108. You are allowed both colors under that statute, but he could challenge you on intensity since you have altered the factory lights.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #41
Falundir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
As long as he just cites you for color you should be fine. If you have an RS, the "Halo" is your legal park lamp, though, and needs to meet the legal requirements for Parking Lamps as outlined in FMVSS108. You are allowed both colors under that statute, but he could challenge you on intensity since you have altered the factory lights.

-Geoff
Intensity challenges are only for the headlamps themselves, not the ornamental halo.

What I am doing is 100% within the law, there are just times where you have to defend your rights. Police are allowed to cite and arrest you for anything they deem fit, it is up to them to provide a burden of proof that you are guilty as charged.

I spoke to the super of the citing officer today and had a good conversation with him. We agreed that the best course of action is to take it before a judge and let them formally inform the officer that they are incorrect, again. This will make it case law which means it cannot be challenged again.

Beauty is once I make it case law everyone here can stand behind it in their own halos.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #42
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I would have sent you home for spelling "Fremont" wrong

j/k. Good job fighting it. Some cops can be a little over zealous.