Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Besides price/cost, Is there a good reason not to get a V8?

Is there any compelling reason NOT to get an SS? Everyone has given their opinion about why they're getting one or the other and from the V6 side it's mostly affordability/bang-for-the-buck. For V8 it's the power, prestige.

I've ordered a 2LT but I can afford an SS. I don't need a V8 like most; I'm not a gear head, never owned a "muscle car" before (unless the '72 302 cu. in. 210 hp Maverick I used to have counts!), so 304 hp should be more that I need. Price wise, gas would be about $6 more per tank for premium, insurance is about the same (for me). Though I do wonder about cost-to-own over an LT.

So, the question is: aside from cost, is there a compelling reason NOT to get a V8? Is it perhaps TOO powerful for daily driving (I'm not going to race it, hunt for stangs, etc.)? Is the performance suspension too stiff? Discounting cost to purchase, is there a good reason NOT to get an SS; Some logical, common sense reason that I should stick with my order (I won't lose my slot)? Right now, my inner voice is saying "life is short and if your having a mid-life crisis, go whole hog," and "the Feds may up owning the Big 3 before long and mandate 'no more V8's', so this may be the last chance."
Is there anything that I would regret?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Common sense things might be better gas milage, not so many people wanting to see your engine, a more quite ride, less weight, less tire wear and no REAL reason to go Mustang hunting. I was thinking that less Mustangs would be wanting to race, but after they get burnt by the V8s it may be worse on the v6 owners lol.

For me I want the V8, I need the V8 and I am getting the V8.

What will you regret? I would bet it will be not having a 426HP Camaro.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Dude, if you have to start a thread called "Besides price/cost, Is there a good reason not to get a V8?", maybe you should get the V8. Only you can make that choice. My only fear is that some people want the SS look, and will be very disappointed with the LT performance (I said some) . Good Luck, and don't loose to much sleep over it!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Reason not to get the V8..hmmm if you just want the look and not the feel
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
The upfront cost is what made my decision. I was prepared to pay 3k or 4k more for a V8, but not 7k. On top of that, the insurance cost and gas mileage sealed the decision for me.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Good Luck, and don't loose to much sleep over it!!
Too late. I DO lose sleep over it.
I guess that's what I'm asking. I'm sure I'd like the LT just fine, but would always have that "what if.." feeling. In some way I would regret the LT - probably just because it wasn't the SS. Would it work the other way though? Is there something about the SS I would regret?
On one hand I fear being a poser with an LT, but would I be a poser with an SS if I won't race it?

Jeez, if my LT would just get pulled then I could be done with it.
:seesaw:
Old 03-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
CamaroHutch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
If you never ride in / drive an SS, you'll probably be fine. However if you ever do, you will always have that nagging voice in the back of your head.... "why didn't you just get the SS?"
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Resale on a V8 Camaro is almost always better than a V6.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
I also made my decision from all of the V6 videos out there. The Milford driver's enthusiast videos and the Jay Leno's Garage video of V6's are very persuasive reasons to buy the V6. Do a search for them and you'll be calmed on your decision.

Of course I'd rather have the V8, but the more practical decision (for me) is the V6, especially in this economy. I work for a "Big 3" supplier, which has been making cutbacks for some time and could fold anyday - just like a lot of other companies. So I feel pretty confident in my V6 decision. It wasn't easy though! Maybe in the future I'll be trading up to the Z28!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Too late. I DO lose sleep over it.
I guess that's what I'm asking. I'm sure I'd like the LT just fine, but would always have that "what if.." feeling. In some way I would regret the LT - probably just because it wasn't the SS. Would it work the other way though? Is there something about the SS I would regret?
On one hand I fear being a poser with an LT, but would I be a poser with an SS if I won't race it?

Jeez, if my LT would just get pulled then I could be done with it.
:seesaw:
For me, it would be like getting a Corvette with a four banger in it . But, if it is your everyday driver and you need the gas mileage, and the insurance rate, I could understand getting the V6. Go with your gut, and what you can afford!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Most people want a V8 solely for the prestige. It's seen as effeminate to own a V6 to a lot of people.

That's it. That's all there is.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Miamimatt

Drives: 2 LT RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Miamimatt
Im getting a V6. I decided that insurance and gas cost will add up over time. As far as the resale value that doesnt matter bc i will drive this car till it falls apart. The v8 is great but at this moment in my life i dont need it. I feel this way get what you want as long as you get a Camaro you are supporting GM. so ls lt ss its all good. goodluck
Miamimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Most people want a V8 solely for the prestige. It's seen as effeminate to own a V6 to a lot of people.

That's it. That's all there is.
This could not be more wrong.

Look at my signature to see the past cars I have owned. All V8s. And none of them solely for the prestige. There are many reasons why the V8 is the better car, and here are a few:

1) There's nothing like torque. Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races. V8s have torque that V6s will never have. You can feel it, when pressing the throttle and you are pushed back into the seat even at low rpms. The feel of torque is visceral and raw. If you're used to driving imports or non-V8s, you just need to experience it first-hand.

2) There's a lot more to the package than the V8. The V8-equipped car also has the entire heavy duty parts package, including upgraded suspension, brakes, limited-slip rear axle, superior transmission and clutch. It also generally includes the sport interior with leather wheel and performance gauges. It includes visual clues on the outside, such as spoilers or aerodynamic packages. So you have a car that not only is more powerful than a V6, but also handles better, and lasts longer due to the heavy duty parts used.

3) Did I mention torque?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
This could not be more wrong.

Look at my signature to see the past cars I have owned. All V8s. And none of them solely for the prestige. There are many reasons why the V8 is the better car, and here are a few:

1) There's nothing like torque. Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races. V8s have torque that V6s will never have. You can feel it, when pressing the throttle and you are pushed back into the seat even at low rpms. The feel of torque is visceral and raw. If you're used to driving imports or non-V8s, you just need to experience it first-hand.

2) There's a lot more to the package than the V8. The V8-equipped car also has the entire heavy duty parts package, including upgraded suspension, brakes, limited-slip rear axle, superior transmission and clutch. It also generally includes the sport interior with leather wheel and performance gauges. It includes visual clues on the outside, such as spoilers or aerodynamic packages. So you have a car that not only is more powerful than a V6, but also handles better, and lasts longer due to the heavy duty parts used.

3) Did I mention torque?
Don't be so insecure. You act as if I were addressing you specifically.

MOST people don't drag race. MOST people don't take their cars to tracks. MOST people (the vast majority, actually) that own V8 cars never actually utilize its power.

The main reason they own one is for the prestige of it. I never said anything was wrong with it. Particularly amongst men, it's simply seen as more "manly" to own a V8. Even if that driver never utilizes the power, the knowledge that's it's THERE is empowering to him/her.

That's all. It's not complicated.

Last edited by StarkyLuv; 03-08-2009 at 02:06 PM.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote