Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Opinions....what would you do in this situation?

What would you do if you're in a parking lot and someone slams you with their door -- leaving big or small mark? Do you yell at them? Turn the other cheek? Fill out a police report for damage? Take it to their insurance company? Make 'em pay ya on the spot? Spank them wildly?

Fortunately, it hasn't happened to me (almost, though).

Less than a week after I got mine, I stopped at a local drive-in restaurant. It's a cool place where people with cars and bikes frequently hang out...especially on certain nights. Some 19 year old kid in a beater parks very close to me (parking is tight on some nights)....he gets out of his car with no problem. 30 min later, as he's leaving, he opens the door without thinking and....wham.....he hits the car.

Needless to say, having had the 2SS for less than a week, I was pretty upset. I jumped him a bit and thanked him for being the first to put a scratch on it. He apologized, but I honestly don't think he realized why he was apologizing....he just wanted me off his back.

Fortunately, in this case, the mark was small. It's there, but very tiny.

.....but what do you do with a bigger mark? How big of a mark does it take before you create real drama? How do you handle it?

I'd love to get some opinions on this matter.

99% of the time, I park in the outer lots of every place I visit---and then I hike in . It's not a problem....but sometimes it happens............while you watch.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Fist fight on sight
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
if i am in the car, i will crank the radio with the windows down, this way letting others know who park next to me i am in the car. usually they are aware and are careful.
if i am not in the car, or around, then obviously it will be hard to prove who did it and when.
OP, i feel for you. i personally would approach the person that did it. if it would become a situation that may appear to be dangerous, then i woiuld get make and model and license tag and call the police and insurance. even a small ding could result in an entire door panel having to be redone. maybe Dr. Dent or similar dent removal place could fix it.
but, i feel for you. just park far away. there are times i go, and if i dont like the parking spot, i dont take a chance and i move on. i dont care if i have to park a mile away, i will do it. of course they may be instances you just dont have a choice, and those few times you may have to chance it..
good luck, you have a very nice car!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
also OP, i love Lake Cumberland near you. i am from southern Indiana originally and i love KY state parks, Kentucky/Lake Barkley, Lake CUmberland, Dale Hollow, all great parks and lakes! I still go to Lake Cumberland every few years from out here in Kansas City. worth the drive.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4Mu View Post
What would you do if you're in a parking lot and someone slams you with their door -- leaving big or small mark? Do you yell at them? Turn the other cheek? Fill out a police report for damage? Take it to their insurance company? Make 'em pay ya on the spot? Spank them wildly?

Fortunately, it hasn't happened to me (almost, though).

Less than a week after I got mine, I stopped at a local drive-in restaurant. It's a cool place where people with cars and bikes frequently hang out...especially on certain nights. Some 19 year old kid in a beater parks very close to me (parking is tight on some nights)....he gets out of his car with no problem. 30 min later, as he's leaving, he opens the door without thinking and....wham.....he hits the car.

Needless to say, having had the 2SS for less than a week, I was pretty upset. I jumped him a bit and thanked him for being the first to put a scratch on it. He apologized, but I honestly don't think he realized why he was apologizing....he just wanted me off his back.

Fortunately, in this case, the mark was small. It's there, but very tiny.

.....but what do you do with a bigger mark? How big of a mark does it take before you create real drama? How do you handle it?

I'd love to get some opinions on this matter.

99% of the time, I park in the outer lots of every place I visit---and then I hike in . It's not a problem....but sometimes it happens............while you watch.
You must have been at Parkette....

I used to frequent there when I still lived in Lexington
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
You must have been at Parkette....

I used to frequent there when I still lived in Lexington
yep

Again, I didn't get any real damage....but it just made me think about what I would do if it had been more.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Reineke

Drives: 2010 SW Camaro 2SS RS 6M
I was on a trip with a rental car when I stopped in a grocery store. Since my car was a rental, I parked up front. I left my wife in the car while I ran in the store to grab a couple items. While I was gone, the owner of the car I had parked next to was loading their groceries in their car.

Once completed, the driver opened their door and slammed it against my rental. I don't think they knew that my wife was in the car at the time as once she got out to check the damage, they other party took off. My wife wrote down the license plate and I called the cops when I got back to the car since I was responsible for the damage of the rental. They had a talk with the other driver and also obtained their insurance information.

We agreed that I would not tell the car rental company about the incident and if they did not mention it, then it was not going to be a problem. The car rental company did not say anything, so the matter was dropped.

I believe if the damage is great enough, then you can involve the cops if the other party will not claim responsibility. Minor damage probably can be buffed out, but I have seem some doozie door dings.
Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
depends on the situation...

if the other driver is truly sorry, and it was an accident and they are willing to make it right. I would be very adult and level headed and be more understanding.

If the other driver told me to F-off, then I would proceed to beat him/her to death with their own vehicle. I refuse to get my ass-kicking boots dirty.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, blemish, ding, door, insurance