Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyreal View Post
You don't get them. Professional courtesy.

1. If its your own department, then it would be your coworker writing you a ticket.

2. If it's another department, then the won't, as not to damage interdepartmental relations.

So no, you don't get them.

And you're family gets some slack too.

/And as a side note, I don't do traffic. Thats motor's job. We don't have quota's on tickets, and we aren't really even expected to write any. My department, responding to calls and arrests are the ones you look at.

Yeah, I'll pull people over, if for some reason I want to look in their car or at who is in it(provided I have PC of course).

But ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I won't write a ticket.

The exceptions:

1. I'm already over the speed-limit, and someone blows by me...Have some common sense people, don't pass a cop when he is already over the speed limit.
2. They do something seriously reckless. Like blowing a light when the intersection is currerently busy. (rarely happens, I'm graveyard, and I don't care if you blow a light on an intersection that you stop at, see there are no cars for miles, and go through.)
3. Or is going 100 or more.
4. They are a total asshole to me when I was only gonna give them a warning.
5. A hot-chick and that does any of the cliche things to try and get out of a ticket, cry, flirt, unbutton their blouse(Seen it happen more than once) whatever. ( Side note, any time a girl tries to use anything sexual, I leave the area, go to my car and wait for back-up, no use risking a pissed off girl saying you sexually assaulted her )
6. They blow anything over .04. If you've had ANYTHING to drink, even if you know you're under the limit, you should know to be on your best driving behavior.

And probably some more, just can't think of them right now...need sleep.

Mmmm, Camaro 5 Saleen 600 Extreme Supercharged interceptor..... I'd buy one for my department myself if they'd let it be "my" car.

You are a respectable officer then. Unfortunately I have run into my fair share of officers on a power trip, and it is a shame that they give you good guys a bad rap.

I do have a question. First off let me preface this by saying that I NEVER drink and drive. If I plan on drinking at all, I make sure I have someone to drive or call a cab. Mainly because I am incapable of just having 1 .

However, I have heard that if you suspect that you are over the limit and decide to drive, it is better to refuse to take a breathilizer and just let the cop take you in than to submit to one for legal reasons. Is that true? Can you refuse a breathilizer? What would be the charge if you did?
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
No, it's not better. You can refuse one, at which point you lose your DL, and we just take you back to the station and do a blood test. And then charge you with DUI, or DWI, depending on your state.

And yeah, there are quite a bit of officers on power trips.

I've found that most officers fit into one of two categories

1. Power-trip. In the job for the power, or because it's cool get off on flexing it, for pretty much any reason. Needs attention.

2. Sheepdog. In the job cause we genuinely want to protect and help people. Have a feeling, a sense of duty, to put our lives on the line to make the world safer for everyone else.

I know, things aren't always black and white, but you can place most officers on one end of the scale or the other. Just in varying degrees.

/And if you want to read an awesome paper about #2 (it's where the sheepdog reference comes from) read:

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #31
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyreal View Post
You don't get them. Professional courtesy.

1. If its your own department, then it would be your coworker writing you a ticket.

2. If it's another department, then the won't, as not to damage interdepartmental relations.

So no, you don't get them.

And you're family gets some slack too.

And as a side note, I don't do traffic. Thats motor's job. We don't have quota's on tickets, and we aren't really even expected to write any. My department, responding to calls and arrests are the ones you look at.

Yeah, I'll pull people over, if for some reason I want to look in their car or at who is in it(provided I have PC of course).

But ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I won't write a ticket.

The exceptions:

1. I'm already over the speed-limit, and someone blows by me...Have some common sense people, don't pass a cop when he is already over the speed limit.
2. They do something seriously reckless. Like blowing a light when the intersection is currerently busy. (rarely happens, I'm graveyard, and I don't care if you blow a light on an intersection that you stop at, see there are no cars for miles, and go through.)
3. Or is going 100 or more.
4. They are a total asshole to me when I was only gonna give them a warning.
5. A hot-chick and that does any of the cliche things to try and get out of a ticket, cry, flirt, unbutton their blouse(Seen it happen more than once) whatever. ( Side note, any time a girl tries to use anything sexual, I leave the area, go to my car and wait for back-up, no use risking a pissed off girl saying you sexually assaulted her )
6. They blow anything over .04. If you've had ANYTHING to drink, even if you know you're under the limit, you should know to be on your best driving behavior.
Damn...you hit the nail on the head...like looking in a mirror.

I'd like to add that there are a few on our dept who could care less who you are and would write you just for mentioning what you do. It all falls under your catagory #1 of officer personality. There are a few jurisdictions around and in SA as well who will write anyone...even their own mother (Leon Valley).

If I might also add...

#7. If you are involved in an accident and have expired registration and/or no insurance. The date of reg. and insurance is noted on the accident form. If a ticket is not written and these violations are known, the officer could find him/herself a problem. Reg. can be dismissed if taken care of and shown in court to a Judge. Look for ins below.

#8. If you are stopped and have no insurance, I'm going to write you a ticket. If you don't have insurance, you shouldn't be driving a car....period. How many people here have been hit and had to pay out of pocket cause other guy didn't have insurance??? It's happened to my brother. Trust me, it's not fun having to pay for someone else's mistake. On top of this, it's law and you must present insurance upon demand. SA is now towing everyone stopped or involved in accidents who do not have insurance. If you have expired ins and don't have a current card, we have to call to verify. If I have to call to verify that you have current insurance and I have to sit there on the phone on hold for 5 to 10 min while I could be getting you and everyone else out of there, you are going to get a ticket for failure to provide ins upon demand.

#9. If you are stopped and don't have a license. You are not only written a ticket, but your car is towed and you go to jail. If I let you go and you get into an accident...I'm screwed.

I'm a patrol officer as well, so I fall into the same catagory as you.

As far as DWI, you agree to have a breath/blood test when you get your license. If you refuse, you lose your license...period. Not to mention, you are still booked for DWI.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #32
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Did Mrs. Valley slap the shit out of her son when he was off duty? If I have a son that one day becomes a police officer and he gives me a ticket im gonna kick his ass after hes off duty.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #33
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNut View Post
Did Mrs. Valley slap the shit out of her son when he was off duty? If I have a son that one day becomes a police officer and he gives me a ticket im gonna kick his ass after hes off duty.

At first, I thought the people I heard it from were joking. This is years ago. The officer who wrote the ticket worked for Leon Valley P.D. and he wrote his mom. I asked around a while back and was told the rumor was true. They had more to say about this guy. I mean, who in the hell would write their mom a ticket??? Crazy stuff, man.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #34
Luna
Own one, dont date one!!!

Drives: Tiburon
Send a message via Yahoo to Luna
I've been stopped by both good and bad cops. I was doing over 100 one time on the outskirts of town cuz my bf and I got in a fight and it was really bad and i was already crying. Well the cop that stopped me actually didnt write me up. He knew I wasnt crying to get out of the ticket. He was nice and calmed me down. I got stopped another time for no reason. I was in a small town within SA, Tag you know Shavano...well I was doing 43 in a 45 and the cop turned on his lights but not until i was already back in SA, had me get out of the car without asking for ID or registration, and said he clocked me at 66 and if i wanted to argue he would show me his radar gun. He was really trying to pick a fight with me. He was really upsetting me and pushing my buttons but I wouldn't fight. He couldn't find anything on me and I have no record, so he told me he would give me a warning but I had to slow down. Oy vey!!
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #35
Luna
Own one, dont date one!!!

Drives: Tiburon
Send a message via Yahoo to Luna
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
There are a few jurisdictions around and in SA as well who will write anyone...even their own mother (Leon Valley).
Yea I've known people who've literally gotten tickets for going 1, 2 and 3 over the limit. That little town is nuts, I try to avoid driving on at least Huebner Rd. in Leon Valley.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Yea I've known people who've literally gotten tickets for going 1, 2 and 3 over the limit. That little town is nuts, I try to avoid driving on at least Huebner Rd. in Leon Valley.
My brother was on his way into Leon Valley to get his registration taken care of on his truck. While on Huebner, he was stopped. He told the officer what his purpose was for being on that side of town, that he was in college majoring and planning on a profession in law enforcement, about everyone in our family in law enforcement, and that in fact he was going to the tax office to get his expired registration taken care of (true)...the officer was not going to have it. He wrote my brother, the friggin prick. Not cool.

Yeah...Shavano. I avoid driving through there at all costs. I know there are good guys, but with what's happened in the past there and all the "other" rumors going around........I'm not driving through there.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Does anyone know, are there any designated places you can go to just "put the pedal to the metal"? I don't want specific locations, just whether or not they exist.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #38
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Does anyone know, are there any designated places you can go to just "put the pedal to the metal"? I don't want specific locations, just whether or not they exist.
I don't know about in New York, but being from Indiana you can just go out into the county and hit any back country road. Of course if you were to some how come across a police officer he could still pull you over, but at least around here it is not too likely.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #39
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
There is a deserted air strip bout 2 miles down from my house that used to be privately owned that people around town race on.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #40
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Yeah. It's called renting out a track! Just giving you a hard time.

Seriously though, I read a story recently where it's becoming more and more popular for a group of enthusiasts to get together and rent tracks to experience the full potential of their car.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but as for finding a quiet, back country road, etc.,
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #41
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Hehe...I say the 1/4 mile race track. Not sorry at all...that's what it's there for...to let loose and feel the full power... Seriously, there are local clubs that do get together every month or other week to race. We have a club down here that sets up at a huge parking lot at blossom athletic center. They have every car you could imagine running the track there... vettes, NSX, fbodies, ricers, Supras, etc. Pretty cool deal they do on Sundays. I'm going to have to check it out sometime...I pass by is on occassion.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #42
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Quote:
The Isle of man (UK)... no speed limits on most of the island.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote