Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #183
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
My first car was a 1966 GTO, tri power, 4 on the floor, posi. Yes that car had some balls and great styling, and I want another one. BUT, I wouldn't make it my daily driver and it is no where as safe as my Camaro. The Camaro has gobs more power than my GTO ever had.

This is the golden age of Horse power and muscle. The 60's and 70's were the start of it, it's now just coming into it's own. Hell, in 1966 do you ever think that GM, Ford, or MOPAR would have dreamed of putting a car on the road with 550+HP and have a safe vehicle? I say no....Not then...But now it can be done..
I agree with you 100%. This is a HP golden age! I am so happy to be living in it honestly. When I was in college (HP wars were just getting started) I used to joke with my dad that he was so lucky to have been young when the muscle car era was at it's peak. Grant it he was in high school at its peak, but he was still of buying age when he could buy a lightly used Hemi Cuda for 4k.

But really I don't stop to think often enough of how lucky I am or we all are to have these HP monsters amidst all these new EPA regulations and oil price spikes! In the 70's, the HP monsters were there one year and within 2-3 years their output was cut probably 50%!!! Can you imagine buying a new car that was half as as fast as a car 2 years older than yours???? I don't think that will happen today, but these cars will be harder and harder to afford in the future. We should all be thankful that we can still buy these HP monsters new and be average joe kinds of people.

I remember the first thing my dad said when I told him how much HP my car had he said "why???" and I said "because I can" And that's why I love my muscle car so much, I can smoke the tires, I can pass anybody on the highway with ease, and I can hear that beautiful V8 idle in my own garage.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #184
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocky View Post
So where is this dude now? The camaro is alive and well! MORON!
Well by looking at the Staff list on that website and his name not being there....I'm guessing he got fired after the success of the New Camaro
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #185
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Nicely done, Scott!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I am SIMPLY DELIGHTED BEYONE WORDS...............

............that someone dug this thread up!

A word of caution: Let's not all pile on by sending him scathing notes - that does no one any good and makes us all seem like heathens...........

That said: I just sent him a note inviting him to come and meet many of you!

Here's a copy I just sent.............

Dear Mr. Peters -

On June 21 of 2006, you wrote an article entitled "Why The New Camaro Will Fail" --

In light of your thoughts back then, I'd like to cordially invite you to attend one of two events this year . I hope you will see that rather than 'failing' - the Camaro has been a success! It's important to understand WHY it has succeeded - and WHY those who have bought one (we have many who have bought two or three!) -- or desire to buy one -- find the car so captivating.

The first event will be held April 15th and 16th at Firebird International Raceway. The name of the event? The Second Annual Camaro5Fest sponsored by www.camaro5.com. Last year, we had 585 new Camaros show up at the first event in Valdosta, GA. This year? Who knows, but I can assure you that it will surpass 585!

The second event will be held June 10 and 11 -- the "Ontario Nationals" sponsored by the Ontario Camaro Club. The location will be at the GM Assembly Plant in Oshawa, Ontario. (Tours on Friday)

I ask you to consider making a soujorn to one of these trips because I really want you to see the passion and enthusiasm these new Camaros create from their owners. Great design and engineering DOES sell cars - not everyone wants a car that is an "appliance." Moreover, you might find that people from all walks of life are buying new Camaros - and LOVING them. I've been in this business all my life - and I have never seen the level of passion and enthusiasm that these new Camaros create. (..........................did I mention that the Camaro outsold the perennial favorite - the Mustang - easily - and this with only a coupe available - no Convertible!)

So -- I do hope I'll hear from you - and I look forward to spending some time with you should you be able to attend.

Warm regards,

Scott Settlemire
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #186
The Beard

Drives: 2013 2SS HWSE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I am SIMPLY DELIGHTED BEYONE WORDS...............

............that someone dug this thread up!

A word of caution: Let's not all pile on by sending him scathing notes - that does no one any good and makes us all seem like heathens...........

That said: I just sent him a note inviting him to come and meet many of you!

Here's a copy I just sent.............

Dear Mr. Peters -

On June 21 of 2006, you wrote an article entitled "Why The New Camaro Will Fail" --

In light of your thoughts back then, I'd like to cordially invite you to attend one of two events this year . I hope you will see that rather than 'failing' - the Camaro has been a success! It's important to understand WHY it has succeeded - and WHY those who have bought one (we have many who have bought two or three!) -- or desire to buy one -- find the car so captivating.

The first event will be held April 15th and 16th at Firebird International Raceway. The name of the event? The Second Annual Camaro5Fest sponsored by www.camaro5.com. Last year, we had 585 new Camaros show up at the first event in Valdosta, GA. This year? Who knows, but I can assure you that it will surpass 585!

The second event will be held June 10 and 11 -- the "Ontario Nationals" sponsored by the Ontario Camaro Club. The location will be at the GM Assembly Plant in Oshawa, Ontario. (Tours on Friday)

I ask you to consider making a soujorn to one of these trips because I really want you to see the passion and enthusiasm these new Camaros create from their owners. Great design and engineering DOES sell cars - not everyone wants a car that is an "appliance." Moreover, you might find that people from all walks of life are buying new Camaros - and LOVING them. I've been in this business all my life - and I have never seen the level of passion and enthusiasm that these new Camaros create. (..........................did I mention that the Camaro outsold the perennial favorite - the Mustang - easily - and this with only a coupe available - no Convertible!)

So -- I do hope I'll hear from you - and I look forward to spending some time with you should you be able to attend.

Warm regards,

Scott Settlemire
Well put sir!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #187
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Gm will never catch up to mustang in numbers sold or profit, they have always been behind. With that said I will always like a camaro better.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #188
sed34

Drives: a
this thread is too funny. The author was proven wrong big time.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #189
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
That rant on how the three modern muscle cars aren't true muscle cars is stupid. MODERN muscle car is the emphasis, here. Family jalopies and economy cars of the 60's/70's had shite suspension, crapola drum brakes, terrible build quality, manual steering, brakes, etc., etc as well. You think Grandma Mildred's 72 Bonneville was built any better better than Uncle Wilkie's 68 Goat? Hell no. It's called advancement of technology.

Muscle cars didn't establish their identity because of their crude nature or what option list was checked, they established it for what they are: big ass V8 engines in mid to full size coupes and a not too outrageous pricetag, which the new three muscle cars have... in spades, I might add.

As for the generational thing, I'd say history repeated itself when it comes to what generation garners the most interest in this car. Yeah, lots of baby boomers sand Gen X's bought this car, sure... but I hate to say it, 80% of the Camaro club I'm in (which has over 25+ members and growing) is under 30 years of age. A vast majority of them are Gen Y, myself included. GM nabbing their targeted audience? Chh-yeah. :\
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #190
Oh Wise and Esteemed One

Drives: Camaros
well then !

Our Hero Mr. Peters has his OWN website these days-

www.i'mafreakingmoron.com

Click on it and THERE HE IS!

Oh Wise and Esteemed One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #191
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
I also would disagree with the idea that the new Camaro isn't a muscle car. It's everything they were and a whold lot that they were not.

I was a kid back then and had a bunch of the 60s muscle. 1966 GTO 3 deuce 4 spd, 1969 Roadrunner 440, 1967 Camaro SS 396 (with a transplanted L88 427), 1966 Charger (lowly 383)... Those were fun cars and he is right in his assesment that those cars were capable of getting away from you pretty quick if you weren't paying attention. They were quick and fun. But they rode like crud and were a horror to get stopped once you got them going.

All in all, I love my new 2ss. It has all the good things from the "Old time" muscle and none of the bad. If you really want a squirrly car, just turn off the TC and Stabilitrac and hold on.