Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Dark_Horse

Drives: Black 2015 2LS, Teal 1991 RS
Drop in filter VS CAI

Hey guys I'm new to the 5th gen and very new to the v6 life. My other car is v8 with a list of mods but it's a different animal so I'm starting fresh here.

I've seen where with the LFX motors some guys see the same or more gain from using a drop in filter such as a K&N or Green filter to replace the stock VS using a cold air setup. Just curious on the gains (if really any) of both before I decide to start spending cash. Not looking to do a lot of mods especially because I just bought the car and also want to keep it close to stock until the warranty is up (I opted for the extended warranty). Yes I know that mods don't instantly void the warranty but I do have a '91 Camaro as the toy right now and I do a good bit of traveling and unfortunately I don't want to run too much of a risk of having to deal with a crappy dealer for service just because of a couple bolt ons.

Just haven't seen any numbers on the two and I have searched for a comparison but most people seem to just switch to cold air. I like the look but I don't want to spend the $$ on a system if it doesn't give me a good enough gain on an otherwise stock setup so that's why I'm also considering a drop in "performance" filter.
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Dark_Horse

PM sent
Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the 5th gen and very new to the v6 life. My other car is v8 with a list of mods but it's a different animal so I'm starting fresh here.

I've seen where with the LFX motors some guys see the same or more gain from using a drop in filter such as a K&N or Green filter to replace the stock VS using a cold air setup. Just curious on the gains (if really any) of both before I decide to start spending cash. Not looking to do a lot of mods especially because I just bought the car and also want to keep it close to stock until the warranty is up (I opted for the extended warranty). Yes I know that mods don't instantly void the warranty but I do have a '91 Camaro as the toy right now and I do a good bit of traveling and unfortunately I don't want to run too much of a risk of having to deal with a crappy dealer for service just because of a couple bolt ons.

Just haven't seen any numbers on the two and I have searched for a comparison but most people seem to just switch to cold air. I like the look but I don't want to spend the $$ on a system if it doesn't give me a good enough gain on an otherwise stock setup so that's why I'm also considering a drop in "performance" filter.
A drop in filter will not produce the same performance gains that a complete intake system will. While a drop in filter may flow better than the stock filter, the surface area is still the same size. No matter how well it flows only so much can enter. The larger cone filters used in aftermarket intakes immediately increase the amount of air that can be ingested. Second, aftermarket intake systems reduce restriction by eliminating the internal baffles and resonators as well as increasing the diameter or the tubing and radius of the bends. Finally, intake systems like CAI Inc are insulated and powder coated to reduce IATs.

Drop in filter will show a small gain but full intake systems can produce 15+rwhp.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Dark_Horse

Ok so from looking at the numbers that DynoSteve sent me that all sounds about the same. I suppose I will have to just save up for a good CAI kit. I have a feeling that I am going to be as slow at modding this car or slower than I was on my '91. I don't really like doing things more than once and need to make sure I get the most for the cost of it. I'll keep my eyes out for a good kit at a good price.

Now would a catch can combined with a CAI provide a slightly larger benefit than just doing the CAI? I know that they don't essentially work together but over time the reduction of oil making it into the intake through the pcv system should allow the CAI to work more effectively longer and allow the engine to take full advantage of the larger air flow right?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
The biggest restriction is the box itself. The filter has plenty of surface area to produce good power. But you're still stuck with the factory box if you're running a factory filter.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-21-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Ok so from looking at the numbers that DynoSteve sent me that all sounds about the same. I suppose I will have to just save up for a good CAI kit. I have a feeling that I am going to be as slow at modding this car or slower than I was on my '91. I don't really like doing things more than once and need to make sure I get the most for the cost of it. I'll keep my eyes out for a good kit at a good price.

Now would a catch can combined with a CAI provide a slightly larger benefit than just doing the CAI? I know that they don't essentially work together but over time the reduction of oil making it into the intake through the pcv system should allow the CAI to work more effectively longer and allow the engine to take full advantage of the larger air flow right?
A catch can is a really good idea for keeping your engine clean and performing at its maximum potential, but it really doesn't improve on what the intake is doing. If you want to help the intake perform even better then you would want to look at a scoop/washer tank relocation and ported throttle body.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
When you decide to start shopping for an intake you don't need to search long to find that cold air inductions is your best bet. They are the most expensive, but they are proven and tested to be well worth it. I have one in my lfx and instantly felt and heard a significant difference. It will be a mod you will not regret
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I ran a Green filter for a year before I "upgraded" to a used CAI intake. Zero difference in performance or sound; but $300 poorer. I decided to upgrade to the Apex air scoop to improve the CAI, and this did make a noticeable difference in performance, but still no sound difference.

If I was starting over, I would get the aftermarket filter, and run a hole saw into the bottom of the stock airbox and open it up, then run an air duct from the front to feed it.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
Dark_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
I ran a Green filter for a year before I "upgraded" to a used CAI intake. Zero difference in performance or sound; but $300 poorer. I decided to upgrade to the Apex air scoop to improve the CAI, and this did make a noticeable difference in performance, but still no sound difference.

If I was starting over, I would get the aftermarket filter, and run a hole saw into the bottom of the stock airbox and open it up, then run an air duct from the front to feed it.
Your journal thread was actually the one I noticed the mention of the green filter in haha. I run a green filter on my '91 but it's not a stock air intake so I didn't notice a big difference. What was the difference you noticed between the stock filter and the green?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
A little faster acceleration compared to stock. I decided to install it based on tests on Vararam's website where they said that the Green filter flowed equal to the Roto-Fab intake on the V8 on their flow bench test: http://www.vararam.com/camaro-vs-comp.html

I then upgraded to the CAI based on all of the rave reviews. No difference whatsoever. Adding the air scoop definitely added more acceleration, and was the third biggest gain after the ported throttle body (#2), and Solo hi-flo cats (#1).

Save the intake upgrade for the Solo hi-flo cats instead. Easily more than double the acceleration, and improves the sound tremendously.

Last edited by yzark99; 10-22-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: clarity
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Dark_Horse

Well I did some looking and now I almost want to hold out for a while in hopes that Vararam makes an intake for the LFX. That thing is SWEET. And I think I read on Hawks third gen that the Vararam gurantees boosts in HP of 25 - 30. That would be one hell of a gain for an intake. Here is their link for the Vararam:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/20...uction-system/

And what would you guys think of this SLP system? Seems like it would improve airflow better than just a drop in and it's not as expensive as a full CAI setup:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/co...be-and-filter/

I deal with these guys a good bit for parts for my third gen and they are one of the best places I've ever worked with for aftermarket and used parts.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Dark_Horse

That's one of my fears on the Vararam but ya never know. But I may have to do some more research on the SLP setup I posted above. It takes advantage of the factory filter box for air but increases the amount of air supplied to the engine. Could be a very nice setup.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Dark_Horse

SLP also offers a full cold air kit for the lfx:

http://www.slponline.com/product/620045--.html
Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
That's one of my fears on the Vararam but ya never know. But I may have to do some more research on the SLP setup I posted above. It takes advantage of the factory filter box for air but increases the amount of air supplied to the engine. Could be a very nice setup.
Vararam does not and is not building an intake for any 5th Gen model after 2011, V8 or V6. There were issues they could not overcome with the layout and tuning. The SLP "Blackwing" smooths out the tube and eliminates the resonators but the limiting factor is the air box, not the tube. You will see a couple HP kind of like the drop in filter but not anything like the 15+rwhp you will see from something like a CAI Inc or Roto-Fab. With the scoop mentioned previously you will see significantly more.