Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Morgan.13

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
Can anyone confirm that this will work as a replacement? Melling pushrod MPR-614. Length says 7.397" I know stock length is 7.400"..not sure if .003 would make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morgan.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
did you do another leak down on 5 with the rockers off? something does not sound right..bent pushrod will not cause the valve to hang open..just sayin...plus why replace one p/r? get a set of 5/16 one piece 7.4, upgrade your springs too...many nixed the idea of 3/8 p/r but per my sig..they work...very well.. just drove to camaro fest...9.5 hrs each way..a/c on..22mpg..and lets just say I woke a shit load of people up both directions...and this motor will do 7k shifts all day no worries...
here is how it sounds...
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
Morgan.13

Well did a little more digging... definitely bent a valve. Kissed the piston too, pretty lucky it's not very bad. Gave the head to a local shop, should be fixed up while I'm on vacation and be ready to reassemble when I get back!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #18
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
you are welcome.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
txmaro2ss

Drives: Camaro 2ss
Concerns

I'm currently experiencing the exact problem right now except with mines is strongly misfiring on cylinder 6 and occasionally on 7 and 8. I wasn't looking down at my rpm gauge and by the time I looked down I was redlining my car and when I lowered the rpm I automatically felt the difference, and since then it misfires. I got it diagnosed and I have no compression on cylinder 6. My concern is, by fixing only the pushrod did you get the car running fine again? and also what's an estimate on the price to get it fix with a problem like this?
txmaro2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
Morgan.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmaro2ss View Post
I'm currently experiencing the exact problem right now except with mines is strongly misfiring on cylinder 6 and occasionally on 7 and 8. I wasn't looking down at my rpm gauge and by the time I looked down I was redlining my car and when I lowered the rpm I automatically felt the difference, and since then it misfires. I got it diagnosed and I have no compression on cylinder 6. My concern is, by fixing only the pushrod did you get the car running fine again? and also what's an estimate on the price to get it fix with a problem like this?

Ended up needing a new valve as well. Pretty straight forward just pull the heads off and bring them to a shop to check them over. If you aren’t afraid to dig into it I fixed it all for about $150, it did help to know a guy at the machine shop but it really shouldn’t cost you much as long nothing else is goofed.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Exactly why PTV clearance is so important. Glad it worked out for you and it wasn't catastrophic.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Exactly why PTV clearance is so important. Glad it worked out for you and it wasn't catastrophic.
This is a valve float issue not a PTV issue.
Valve float caused by a mechanical over rev and crappy valve springs.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Didnt mean that PTV clearance WAS the issue. Valve float was the issue. I only meant that if PTV clearance was too tight, your would have had an engine that grenaded, not just bent a valve and a pushrod.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Didnt mean that PTV clearance WAS the issue. Valve float was the issue. I only meant that if PTV clearance was too tight, your would have had an engine that grenaded, not just bent a valve and a pushrod.
True dat.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
misfire, p0305, service stabilitrak, valve