Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you want a Manual, Auto, or Paddle shifter
Manual 46 57.50%
Auto 5 6.25%
Paddle Shifter 29 36.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #43
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz Camaro View Post
"The paddle shift is an interesting and cool idea. But wouldn't it seem strange to drive a muscle car with that heavy, throaty exhaust note with a paddle shifter? Paddle shifters are what I relate to cars like Ferraris, Porsches, Audis, the euro cars basically. The Corvette and Viper don't have them and neither does the Mustang. It would be quite revolutionary to put a paddle shift in a Detroit muscle car. How would the Camaro purists react to this option?"

Sorry but, Paddle shift IS an option on the Corvette.

Hummmmm, Hugger Orange/Gunmetal Gray stripes, hard-top vert, 450+hp, paddle-shift 6-speed auto, Z-28, with ALL the bells and whistles.....
I just checked. You're right. My bad. I had no idea. Makes sense since the Corvette is in the same class as all the big dollar euro exotic cars.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well just some more tea for your cup, the paddle shifter is also going to be offered on the 08 Malibu, go to the chevy site and check it out...

(I haven't voted yet because I need to know the following)

I was wondering, if anybody is from GM powertrain, does the new six-speed automatic/paddle shifter differ from other automatics...will it last longer?
My biggest deciding factor is that I want this car to last a really long time. I'm talking 40+ years. So I want to know which transy will survive the longest

Sorry if I seem repetitive, but I can't take a dealers word for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #45
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
I chose manual. I am at a disadvantage, though, since I have never had the chance to drive a car with paddles. If I ever get to, I may want to change my vote. I would, however, never want an automatic in a sports car. I feel more in control of the car with the manual. (Notice... there is a gear shift in the smilie! The way it should be! )
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #46
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well just some more tea for your cup, the paddle shifter is also going to be offered on the 08 Malibu, go to the chevy site and check it out...

(I haven't voted yet because I need to know the following)

I was wondering, if anybody is from GM powertrain, does the new six-speed automatic/paddle shifter differ from other automatics...will it last longer?
My biggest deciding factor is that I want this car to last a really long time. I'm talking 40+ years. So I want to know which transy will survive the longest

Sorry if I seem repetitive, but I can't take a dealers word for it.

My guess is that the liklihood of any of them going out within 40+ years is about the same. I would be amazed if any of those trannys would last 40+ years without needing some kind of repair.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #47
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
My guess is that the liklihood of any of them going out within 40+ years is about the same. I would be amazed if any of those trannys would last 40+ years without needing some kind of repair.
You are right on there. Think about it...40+ years, that is a very long time..
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #48
stolen.thunder

Drives: 1983 Delta 88
Is there a paddle shift transmission that can handle 700+ angry horses?
I eventually plan to upgrade. I love the idea of "paddle" shifting- it's too easy to make a joke about "spanking" manual and auto...
stolen.thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #49
Mr. Wyndham

40+ years under low mileage...probably should have said that. My 79 has just under 50,000 miles on it. So on the 5th gen I wouldn't put any more than 100,000. That's what i meant.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #50
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
40+ years under low mileage...probably should have said that. My 79 has just under 50,000 miles on it. So on the 5th gen I wouldn't put any more than 100,000. That's what i meant.
Ahhh... that makes more sense then.

Either way, I would still say that the liklihood of either transmission failing on you or having any problems would be about equal.

I know that in the past manual transmissions were known to have greater longevity than autos, but todays transmissions are all built equally well. Of course it all depends on how you drive it. If you drop the clutch in a manual transmission repeatedly, you can't expect for it to hold up to that abuse without developing some problems.

I know in the past that manual transmissions were typically much cheaper to work on, but I don't know if that is the case anymore or not either.

Transmissions are like any other piece of machinery, if you take care of it, it will last. However, the failure rate between the two is certainly not significant enough to conclude than one is more reliable than the other.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Don't forget about the clutch. Chevy body shop had told me that the majority of the cars they work on for clutch problems have around 60K on the odometer. I've gone well past that on a couple of manuals and have had Zero problems....so...guess it depends once again on how you drive it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham

I'm gonna resurect this thread, Cause I've got more questions

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye
mmmmm (groans) I was supposed to put this in another thread...Aw well, here goes . If you were to keep it in second in heavy traffic, and just feather your way forward...that's not soo bad, then, is it?

And do sticks (modern ones) actually make one leg bigger than the other? (I can see the flames coming at me form a mile away for that one)

in my 78 i has a 3-spd on the floor, the tranny was geared so that i could use 2nd kinda like an auto on base anyway, my 70 pickup has a 3-on-the-tree, no power steering, no power brakes. and the clutch on it was a beast, driving from IL to SC twice made me never want to drive it again cus my leg was so strained. however newer cars have hydraulic clutches and are a lot easier to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT
Dragon, once you learn how to drive that manual in a musclecar, there is no going back. Seriously...I've had and driven both. There's nothing like rowing through the gears. It's easy to drive and makes driving more fun.

The only dislike....it sux in heavy traffic. I drove in about and 1 1/2 hours of bumper to bumper traffic in Austin w/ nothing but stop and go. THAT SUCKS. And that is the ONLY reason I wouldn't buy a 6spd.
tho rowing thru gears is fun and dandy, just remember "if you cant find it, grind it!" lol but seriously, if you have never driven a car with paddle shift, go out and do it, its great to be able to decide exactly where and when you want to shift and also eliminating the time it takes to row your boat. a perfect example is driving thru mountains/autocross style roads, you can keep both hands on the wheel for control and still shift when you want. plus when it comes to racing, inclines, stop and go, autos win hands down.
Keep in Mind, I'm on the Fence here, I like both, and dislike niether;

"auto's win hands down" That's what I would think, too. But then why do so many swear against the stick-shift? If paddles are that much greater (As I would think), is it because they are relatively new?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #53
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Is the Camaro confirmed to have a paddle shift? It may be quicker, but I just like the classic way. And I would say that auto's may be better off road and drag racing, but road racing?
I wonder the same things...I was surfing Corvette Forums the other day, and one person asked, how quickly can I shift from 6th down to 3rd (I assume for highway passing)...the replys all said the same thing, as quick as you can tap the paddles 3 times... I'm having a REALLY tough time deciding on which I want.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #54
Scott

Drives: 1989 Camaro Z28
I live in Los Angeles, CA. Manuals will beat you to death in gridlock. Paddles please.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #55
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I live in Los Angeles, CA. Manuals will beat you to death in gridlock. Paddles please.
i was stuck in gridlock in ATL a few years back with a buddy in the car. I shut the car off, left it in neutral, and we took turns pushing it 2-3 ft at a time.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #56
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Or you can get a transmission guaranteed for life. I won't post the site cuz I don't want to spam, but there are "bulletproof" transmissions guaranteed for life.