The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
The C7 "Look-at Me" Embarrasment Factors

Below is a great article on the C7. It does raise a few questions that did not occur to me. Mainly, how not to embarrass the C7 as well as oneself. First, a few quotes as noted.

"Driving a Chevrolet Corvette has always been, in part, a cry for attention."

“The real reason people buy Corvettes is for the look-at-me factor. It really is a factor — a variable element of a vehicle’s overall driving experience. In the new Corvette, it could be too high for some drivers.”

"Some of the attention is due to its newness — the 2014 only recently began trickling into dealerships. But years from now people will still stare at them — and their drivers."

“If you worry about the assumptions onlookers are making about you, find another car.”

"If you don’t care about impressions and simply want a fast sports car that is comfortable and pleasant to drive every day, with one passenger at most and without blatantly wasting fuel, the 2014 Corvette could be a good choice."

“But for a perfect fit, a driver has to enjoy flaunting it — revving the engine, chirping the tires, waking the neighbors and dressing in a way that might embarrass your children.”

“Getting in and out can be difficult to do gracefully for those not adept at yoga (think “awkward pose”).”

"Overall it is an easy, forgiving car to drive — a sweetheart. But that is not the Corvette’s image. It may be almost 2014, but the Corvette still lives at least partially in the 1970s. It is a lounge lizard of a car, low-slung, and unbuttoned to expose gold chains and chest hair. The Corvette, sports a big mustache and asks if you come here often and, most importantly, doesn’t apologize."

I played college football, had two knee replacements, and am flexibility chalanged. Question, those of you with C7s, how are you finding getting in and out of the new C7 gracefully (if you are able to do so), and any tips on how best to do so in such a way that does not embarrass you and the car.

Waiting on my Z51 Torch Red Vert.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/11/05/testing-the-2014-chevrolet-corvettes-look-at-me-factor/

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-19-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have never found any of that in the 6 weeks I've had the car. People are nice when they come up to me and the others I know in Florida are all over the age range...more stereotypical crap , IMO...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Steven Bell

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Richard, I agree with Glen.

I took delivery of my C7 on October 15th.

I don't give a damn what other people think. I've always heard that guys who drive Corvettes have "Small Dick Syndrome". I laugh at that thought.....

I drive this car because I love it. It's a kick in the ass to drive----everyday. I'm always kind and very appreciative if someone stops me to admire the Stingray. I offer to take pictures of them while they sit in my C7. I answer every question they've got. And there has not been a question I haven't been able to answer yet!

Young and old people-even women-love to check this car out.

You can't buy an exotic/sports car like this and worry about what people say or think.....they really don't matter anyway.
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Here, here! I agree with Glen & Steve - you buy this car because you love it, not for what other people think about you or it. Chances are, if less than positive, they are merely expressing their jealousy that you can manage to have one when they cannot for whatever reason.

I have had my Stingray since October 4th, and literally every day someone compliments me on having such a beautiful, awesome car! Yesterday, I was stopped at a traffic light, and the guy next to me rolled his window down to tell me I was driving a work of art. Today, a person drove out of their way to see my car while I was in a local computer shop. We ended up talking in the parking lot for 20 minutes, and they couldn't stop gushing about how cool a car it was. Then, not 10 minutes later at a local hardware store, two guys stopped to look it over and hand out their compliments.

Almost every time I'm on the road, at least one person (if not several!) snaps cell phone pix as I drive by. Kids give cheers and thumbs-up. This car is COOL to the masses! I will go out on a limb here and predict that in due time, it will become general consensus that the old Corvette owner stereotype died with production of C7 serial number 001.

And as for how you look getting in and out of the car, who cares? I suspect no one will notice you, as their focus will be on the car itself. Just be sure to turn on the easy entry feature. This automatically moves the seat all the way back and up, and the steering wheel all the way forward and up. Then, just take your time and find the method of entry & exit that suits you best. As long as you're comfortable with it, to hell with everyone else!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
OpTechC3

Drives: 1973 Corvette Coupe
Ready to soak it all in.
OpTechC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
I echo you fellows regarding the literal daily experiences of admiration and conversation with folks regarding our Corvettes. I must admit, it's beyond what I expected. If I got a dollar for every photo taken since October 11, they might add up to a car payment.

I've almost gotten to the point of, "That guy didn't seem to notice my car" syndrome. Which is to say it is a MINOR extension of my ego and not who I am. I got it because I wanted it and the attention reminds me of how blessed I am to have a car others admire.

I went to a car event where the majority of the 40 or so vehicles were Porches. The organizer of this car clinic requested I drive into the large garage (Griot's Garage, Car Care Products, Tacoma, WA) where for the next two hours scores of folks poured over the yellow Z51 while I fielded questions.

What does tomorrow hold? I just need to remember to keep my eyes on the road and not on who's looking at me. Funny thing, bugs like yellow and folks like to buzz around the Vette. So, be careful.
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
TKDubya

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
First, Let me echo what others have said about the C7. I bought my C7 Gray Ghost because since I was about 10 years old I've loved Corvettes and promised myself that if I was ever able, I would get one. It had absolutely nothing to do with what anyone else thought. I reached that point in my life and when I saw the C7, I knew it was time.

Second, I could care less if the C7 remains what people call an old man's car. Most of the so called old men that own these cars are successful people that could actually afford to pay for one.

Finally, just about everyone that I've run into absolutely loves the car. The attention is just a bi-product of the beautifully built car that is the C7 and people recognizing that. Most people that see the car on the road are looking at the car and not the driver (in most cases). I have over 2500 miles on the car now and people continue to react very positively when seeing the car except for the occasional traditionalist that expresses their disapproval because of the "Camaro tail lights". Whatever.... I won't beat that dead horse.
TKDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Richardlord

Thanks guys - Wife keeps asking me if I think I can get in and out of the C7 OK and do I think I really want to buy this car - I tell her "I'll manage" - For this car, I tell her "I'll find a way" - My everyday driver is an AWD 2005 Dodge Magnum RT Hemi 340 HP (great car) and can get in and out just fine - Had the last gen Camaro Pace Car, and got in and out OK, but still its not a Corvette - Problem is the flexabilty in my college football knees after a dozen total operations on both some before arthroscoptic surgery and finally two knee replacements now with tons of scar tissue and greatly reduced knee-bend flexability - Also stipidly did the 5K & 10K running thing that was the thing in the 80's on knees with no cartilidge - Wife asks if I had to do it all over again would I play football to which of course I say "Yes!" - Wife is 5'7" 125 lbs and can bend her fine knees like a gymnast and has no idea about guys knees, especially those of us who got them banged up a little - She gets in and out of cars like a butterfly - Says she needs a whole new hot wardrobe to go with the hot car - Car keeps getting more expensive - So, with her fine figure, in a hot new outfit, maybe folks will stare at her getting in and out of my hot C7 and not me - My brother-in-law, 5'4" 140 lbs. quick-as-a-fox, skill-speed-surprise-are-everything, not-to-be-messed-with former US Marine Viet Nam "Tunnel Rat" also asks me if I think I will be be able to get in and out OK and maybe he should have the car if I can't do it right - He was C1 & C2 Corvettes as a Marine (certainly not an old man's car back then), crashed more than his fair share of Vettes, and says I should have him properly "break in" my C7 - I ask him how many crashes it shall take before he has "properly" broken it in - He grins - Now about 70, not long ago, carrying two bags, he got jumped in a parking lot by 4 big Gen X, Y, or Z guys looking for drug money from an easy hit on a small gray-haired old man, none of whom were still conscious when the police arrived - Complained about his hands hurting the next day, which he says they should not if he had handled himself correctly, but that he was out of practice - Sent him a copy of "Second Hand Lions" - Great to here about the C7 easy entry feature, that may be the ticket.

This is the hot new C7 on order: http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-st...iOnRydWV9XX0=@

This is who says she needs hot new outfits to go with the hot new C7: http://www.bandmix.com/drzphd/

Last edited by Richardlord; 11-20-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Steven Bell

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
I'll tell you guys another story......

I parked at the bank to deposit a check. As I'm walking back to the car to leave, two young guys (early to mid 20's) coming RUNNING out of the bank to see the Stingray. They were both bank employees too! They LOVED the car-so this new design is hitting on all age ranges.

I also took the Stingray to a car show here in Kansas City (Fast Fridays at KC Trends). I usually see guys kneeling down to Exotics (ie: Lambo, Ferrari, Jag, Porsche) to get their pictures taken with those cars. I parked the Stingray and walked away from it-just to see what happens. It happened to be Ferrari night at Fast Fridays, but I pulled the Corvette to the front of the Ferrari lineup of cars.

You should have seen how many guys knelt down to get their pictures taken with the C7! I think we might have hit Exotic status with this new car!
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I firmly believe the Corvette has finally reached its true potential. The previous 6 generations have all be "rough drafts" to one degree or another, but the C7 IS IT. This is what the others all strove to acheive. And will only get better in the ensuing years with refinements. Hats off to the design & engineering teams! The world finally is showing the Corvette the respect it deserves!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
killascrimp

Drives: 14 z51
Ya that is def not why I bought my c7. Almost sounds like the "look at me" thing is something like the yuppies in the late 1980s w the 911s and the c4. I bought mine because I drove a 458 and a GTR in Orlando and wanted something that could hang w those babys on my 100k year salary. After reading all the auto mags after the revel and when I kept tossing and turning at night I knew the new vette was for me, But that is how I feel, oh ya I own 3 cars so having one w 2 seats is ok w me. Hey Rich if you have a hard time getting in and out, then the c7 is not for you, Get the new SS or 392 srt, something like that is easy to get into and fun to drive.
killascrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
jb306y

Drives: 2014 Corvette
It's funny, when I first saw the C7, I thought nothing of the people’s reactions on the road. I looked at the car and I just wanted to have one. After waiting and finally ordering it, I still had no idea. Then I started watching the forums for info, that's when I become aware of the attention they're getting. I saw for myself on Interstate 75 coming through Cincy a few weeks ago, hell I was hanging out the window, holding my C7 hat out to the guy in the Red C7. I felt 16 years old seeing it for the first time on the road.... almost embarrassed afterward... :-)

I get mine next week and I can't wait.
jb306y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
topry

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2LT velocity yellow
Picked mine up on Veteran's day (11/11), drove to office first time on 11/18 (I work from home) - parked, took care of my business on first floor and then walked to 2nd to see someone. While walking through I saw several people looking out the windows, one came running over and motioned to me - 'Come look at THIS CAR!' - 'Anyone know which client it belongs to...?' - < I just smiled and walked on by>

I had one person on the interstate get too close for comfort - they were trying to take a picture with their cellphone...
topry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Richardlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by killascrimp View Post
Ya that is def not why I bought my c7. Almost sounds like the "look at me" thing is something like the yuppies in the late 1980s w the 911s and the c4. I bought mine because I drove a 458 and a GTR in Orlando and wanted something that could hang w those babys on my 100k year salary. After reading all the auto mags after the revel and when I kept tossing and turning at night I knew the new vette was for me, But that is how I feel, oh ya I own 3 cars so having one w 2 seats is ok w me. Hey Rich if you have a hard time getting in and out, then the c7 is not for you, Get the new SS or 392 srt, something like that is easy to get into and fun to drive.

I'll Manage