The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Couple of questions about the long term...

At the end of this year I'm thinking of trading in my 2012 V6 Camaro for a V8 of some sort, and at the moment I'm leaning quite heavily towards a Stingray, possibly a Z06 if it works out (unless the 2016 Camaro redesign really blows my socks off). What I would like to plan on doing is custom ordering this car and getting exactly what I want so that I can keep this for a long, long time... e.g. the rest of my life . For the foreseeable future I'd be using it as my daily driver, and it looks like I put on about 8000 miles a year.

My Camaro is my first car and I'm 24 - I was lucky to find a great job as a software developer during college. My family has always had cars that we drove to the point of failure and then replaced - ergo, nothing special, and nothing that we went to great lengths to keep healthy in the long term (though I'm very impressed by any car that can put on 220,000+ miles before we have to call it quits!). Of course if I planned on keeping this car I'd do my darnedest to keep the maintenance up, but the idea of trying to maintain a car for a long time is kind of new to me. I'd like to know what your more experienced thoughts are on this matter.

I'd lean towards a 2LT Z51 Automatic (yes... I know...) with magnetic ride control. I figure asking these kinds of questions about the Z06 is a bit premature at this point, though any thoughts on that, especially the long term survivability of such a supercharged engine, would be appreciated as well.

• Do you guys feel like a Stringray is the kind of car that, if well maintained, could survive for 40+ years, or is that a bit of a pipe dream? I figure at some point I'd get another car as my daily driver years down the road, but I see myself driving this quite a bit even if it does get superseded as my daily driver in another 7-10 years or so.
  • What are your thought on this as a daily driver and only car (at least for a few years)?
  • Would extra features, such as magnetic ride control, and all the electronics that are a part of the base car for that matter such as the dash screens, keyless entry and so forth, be an overriding concern that would make the long term maintainability of this car something to worry about? It worries me a bit how hard it is to maintain cars from the 60's that are far less complicated, and a friend of mine at work recently had her car fail where the part replacements were very difficult to find and pretty expensive, and it was just a Honda station wagon from the 90's. Albeit, she just fixed up her '67 Mustang and is using that as her car now...
I'll probably remember more questions, but these are the ones that have been in my mind as I consider this proposition. Thanks for your consideration!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
With proper maintenance, the C7 should last at least 40 years. Cars are built better these days with tighter tolerances and better materials.

Making a C7 a daily driver is possible and is done by many. Great looks, driveability, and great mileage.

Magentic ride is a must. Had it on my ZL1 and loved it!

Unless you're hopelessly in love with muscle cars, jump ship and get a C7.

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 02-20-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
WARP TEN

Drives: 95 ZR-1
My '93 ZR-1 is still doing fine with another owner and about 110,000 miles on it, and ZR-1s are not babied at all. The new owner crossed the 100,000 mile mark running a 12.3 second quarter mile at Beech Bend. My 18-year-old '95 ZR-1 has only about 25,000 miles and knowing our engines' durability it can probably go another 20 years with no trouble at all. And as noted above, the new cars are much better built with much better resistance to the effects of aging. Unlike me and my wife. So I would say go for it and enjoy it for a long time. -- Bob
1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" (FOR SALE)
--Haibeck 350/510hp package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
OperativeXIV

Thanks guys! This was kind of the main thing that was worrying me about the idea and it's nice to have some people with more experience than me chime in.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I had to comment after I saw how many similarities we have in our story. I'm 19 and used to own a 2012 V6 Camaro as well. I sold it last Fall and will be ordering a 2014 Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51 next week. It sounds terrible, but I couldn't take the V6 jokes anymore and wanted something newer, faster, and better looking (even though the Camaro looks great). I also wanted something that had some higher quality materials like aluminum, carbon fiber, and leather rather than plastic.

Even though I technically don't own one yet, I would HIGHLY suggest buying a C7. I've been researching the car for over a year and it simply blows away all of the competition. Have you seen the car in person yet? If not I would recommend stopping by a local dealership and checking it out, I was literally speechless when I saw it in person
Old 02-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
OperativeXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate GM View Post
I had to comment after I saw how many similarities we have in our story. I'm 19 and used to own a 2012 V6 Camaro as well. I sold it last Fall and will be ordering a 2014 Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51 next week. It sounds terrible, but I couldn't take the V6 jokes anymore and wanted something newer, faster, and better looking (even though the Camaro looks great). I also wanted something that had some higher quality materials like aluminum, carbon fiber, and leather rather than plastic.

Even though I technically don't own one yet, I would HIGHLY suggest buying a C7. I've been researching the car for over a year and it simply blows away all of the competition. Have you seen the car in person yet? If not I would recommend stopping by a local dealership and checking it out, I was literally speechless when I saw it in person
Havn't had a chance to see one in person yet except for a few glimpses in traffic 2 or 3 times - including a beautiful Crystal Red Tintcoat just yesterday! I took my car in for service a few weeks ago hoping to at least see one in person, possibly sit in it so I can figure out if I'd fit in one, but the dealership didn't have any on site even though they listed two in stock. I figure all in due time though... all in due time.

I've been lucky enough to not hear anything backhanded about my V6, except for the general stuff you hear online. I definitely agree with you that something with a little (or a lot...) more power and a sleeker look is what's drawn me to the C7. That and the fact that the Camaro's backseat is such a joke that I might as well have a two seater anyway, which was my main turn off for corvettes before.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
WesC5

Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
A 2-seater is GREAT!

No where for the wife to sit when you're taking your girlfriend for a ride...
WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote