Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
Dirgam

Drives: 2012 VR GFX SS/RS M6 Convertible
Touring Build Recommendations

Looking for suggestions / recommendations for mods. I am getting ready to retire and want to be able to enjoy the Camaro on cross country road trips. I can leave it stock but that's no fun. I also don't want to add handling and performance mods that make it difficult to spend multiple hours in day after day.

I have already ordered the MGW short throw and have a CAI installed. Am thinking of Borla Touring or NPP exhaust w/long tube headers. Ported throttle body and intake manifold probably will be fine. After that I get concerned about usability for long road trips.

Looking forward to your feedback
Dirgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Stick with long tubes with hf cats, and npp. Ported tb, and intake not worth it unless you're cammed. If you want to increase power do it, but won't be noticeable. Borlas might create too much drone especially if you're going to be doing road trips.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:58 AM   #3
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
If youre touring, leave it stock, get some new shocks, and hit the open road! I would ceramic coat it, makes it easier to wash the bugs off...
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:53 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
If youre touring, leave it stock, get some new shocks, and hit the open road! I would ceramic coat it, makes it easier to wash the bugs off...
^^^^ This, agreed.. Once ya start messing with the suspension by lowering it to make it "more" aggressive, you lose some of the ride quality. As they are stock they make great touring cars. Before I modded mine I used to travel to and from NC which is about 750 miles one way, and it was a nice ride, even on the winding mountain roads. Again, start messing with the stock exhaust you run the risk of creating some drone, which will after awhile drive you nuts and give you a headache! If you are just going to use it as a "touring car", enjoy it how it is.

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 09-15-2023 at 05:17 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #5
Dirgam

Thanks for the feedback. Agree on suspension and performance, I do want a bit more bark in the exhaust that why I was considering the factory NPP
Old 09-15-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I would definitely do long tubes and a mild tune and not mess with the transmission settings. It's really hard to find a good tranny tuner that's why I recommend not messing with it. You can do a mail order tune from GPI if you don't want to go with a dyno tune and their the best in the business for tuning in my opinion and their tranny tuning isn't that bad. As far as the exhaust goes I would keep the factory exhaust to keep droning on the highway to a minimum. CAI for sure and then call it done. It will really wake the car up and you will enjoy the extra power for sure The only suspension upgrade I would do is a bilstein shock and strut swap out.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:22 PM   #7
NiteProwlerSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
He has a stick shift car so he doesn't need tranny tuning. I have a Borla S-type and its fine with stock manifolds. You could look into a Corsa system, they're supposed to be drone free. Not sure how loud the Corsa systems are though.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:59 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I put the Solo J/Pipe Axle-back Exhaust on my '10 SS L99 and never have any drone
at any RPM. Since I also bought mine for interstate road trips, I insulated my unibody
from the front seats back including the floors, 1/4 panels, wheel housings and trunk
floor 100%. Great sound outside and very quiet inside. perfect for the highway.
Note that there is 0 unibody insulation in these Camaro- Absolutely NONE !
And I would leave it stock. 14 years and 72, 000 miles without one problem.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteProwlerSS View Post
He has a stick shift car so he doesn't need tranny tuning. I have a Borla S-type and its fine with stock manifolds. You could look into a Corsa system, they're supposed to be drone free. Not sure how loud the Corsa systems are though.
I have the Corsa ZL1 Sport catback and it is pretty loud at idle and wicked loud at WOT, but there is absolutely NO drone at any speed cruising!! Expensive it was, but I love it and so do the folks at the shows/cruises.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:18 PM   #10
rdavis

Drives: 2012 SS
Im kind of in the same situation. As I get older [63] Im worried less and less about how fast it is. I have a retro fitted npp & absolutely love it. Keep the valves closed , still a nice rumble & absolutely no drone on the highway. I hear just enough to know the engine is running & thats it. Valves open & its pretty rowdy. I like having the choice. I have long tubes & 3.91's which are still fine for the open road. 2k is 75mph. Even though I have a baby cam I still have considered an even milder cam than I have now. But it sounds so gool lol ...
Old 09-16-2023, 06:42 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
Im kind of in the same situation. As I get older [63] Im worried less and less about how fast it is. I have a retro fitted npp & absolutely love it. Keep the valves closed , still a nice rumble & absolutely no drone on the highway. I hear just enough to know the engine is running & thats it. Valves open & its pretty rowdy. I like having the choice. I have long tubes & 3.91's which are still fine for the open road. 2k is 75mph. Even though I have a baby cam I still have considered an even milder cam than I have now. But it sounds so gool lol ...
Old 09-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #12
Dirgam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
Yeah I'm with you on this. Give me a bit of torque and some noise and I'll be happy.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I put the Solo J/Pipe Axle-back Exhaust on my '10 SS L99 and never have any drone
at any RPM. Since I also bought mine for interstate road trips, I insulated my unibody
from the front seats back including the floors, 1/4 panels, wheel housings and trunk
floor 100%. Great sound outside and very quiet inside. perfect for the highway.
Note that there is 0 unibody insulation in these Camaro- Absolutely NONE !
And I would leave it stock. 14 years and 72, 000 miles without one problem.
I agree, most manufacturers skip on sound proofing and once you do it it's pretty amazing how much difference there is. My BIL did a dinky little Nissan and it was Mercedes quiet inside on the highway.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote