Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCMSGTRET View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they removed, and did not reinstall, a major cross brace, just behind the transmission. Did they compensate for that?

Here's the brace I'm talking about: (the pics are not of my car, so many thanks to whoever posted them in another thread (I can't remember where I got them)).

Attachment 612628

Attachment 612629

Attachment 612630
Agreed. I was just watching the videos specifically to see what had been done about the cross bracing as the noWeeds setup are listed as not for convertible (though I know of a few that have done the install). I have been looking at getting the diverts when I go with LT headers, and have been very interested in seeing the positioning and what (if any) challenges there have been for installation.

I would be very concerned about body flex on the car by driving it without the additional bracing. It is possible that the factory braces caught on the exhaust system, but I would certainly be looking at the modified braces found elsewhere (Stainless Works has one that looks good and gives a bit more clearance). As you add the additional power, with any form or amount of spirited driving, the body flex would really be a concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
I have never heard of these either...what is the purpose of them? Any power gains/losses?
Exhaust diverters do give a power gain by substantially reducing or eliminating the back pressure of the exhaust, allowing the exhaust gases to vent easily. The engine works less as it is not required to "push" the exhaust through the full exhaust system and mufflers.

Reduced back pressure can cause some difficulties for some setups, but the result is generally an increase in HP and a very noticeable increase to sound.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Convert-11

Drives: 2011 Convertible Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Nickey's a nice ride and thanks for the info. The other concern I have is that I have a hotchkis chassis brace on my car. I've been playing email tag w Scott at no weeds, but we haven't spoken yet. I'm hoping to make this work as I like that I can control how loud it is. I've also been considering similar wheels but darker- like the old school look and sound.
Convert-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCMSGTRET View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they removed, and did not reinstall, a major cross brace, just behind the transmission. Did they compensate for that?

Here's the brace I'm talking about: (the pics are not of my car, so many thanks to whoever posted them in another thread (I can't remember where I got them)).

Attachment 612628

Attachment 612629

Attachment 612630
You are correct. The only way to get cutouts on a vert is to remove the factory bracing and either leave it like that or replace it with something aftermarket (there are some out there) I dont remember whos thread it was but they were talking about how they had a shop install the cutouts and didnt even mention the bracing, the customer found out later and questioned them and they threw it away (if I remember correctly) There are quite a few threads specifically to cutouts on a vert, just do a quick seacrh. Most of them will be the QTP Cutouts.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I'm shocked that anyone would dispose of structural bracing to install an aftermarket exhaust. I know ARH makes a "chromoly" tubular brace that allows for their 3" X pipe to-the-axle system. It reportedly adds more rigidity than the OE part. It's also $475.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert-11 View Post
Nickey's a nice ride and thanks for the info. The other concern I have is that I have a hotchkis chassis brace on my car. I've been playing email tag w Scott at no weeds, but we haven't spoken yet. I'm hoping to make this work as I like that I can control how loud it is. I've also been considering similar wheels but darker- like the old school look and sound.
There are several options available from the aftermarket. We have not used Noweeds along with the Hotchkins set up so don't know if that will work/clear. The ARH solution is good, but not so much on a lowered car. The brace sits too low as it is.

The BMR sub frame connector and tunnel brace seem to work well along with acceptable clearance for lowered cars.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote