The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Under AFM column, it reads as.... "AFM is utilized or disabled at the driver's discretion."
Attached Images

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...
the man speaks the truth!

you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Stingray
just can't get enough

AFM... user controlled.

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I own a Silverado with AFM and it causes the truck to burn oil. The inactive cylinders carbon up. AFM is nothing but garbage.
Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #20

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
AFM... user controlled.

"AFM is easily deactivated. It only works when you select Eco mode. When the auto is in manual mode it doesn't work either. AFM only activates at very low throttle and is hardly noticeable."
Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Stingray
just can't get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not sure what to make of the chart....Looking at AFM across the board, yes, there is an ECO mode...but NORMAL in the other columns doesn't strike me as OFF....Not saying you're wrong, just some of the terminology is a little confusing...
I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I see, it can be interpreted that way... according to the Bash attendees, after questioning- Normal indicates full-time 8 cyl-mode while Eco indicates afm mode therefore alternating between 4-cyl or 8-cyl mode depending on load, conditions, etc... To quote: "And....it doesn't default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again! The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesn't use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

So we'll see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So basically as long as you stay out of Eco mode you pretty much don't have AFM.
Thanks for the replies....As I'm not that familiar with 'Vettes, just curious..if you don't mind...Are these "Modes" something Vette has always had?....Are they new/different due to the LT-1?...

And...Fen, any chance we will see these AFM options/modes similar in the 6thGen Camaros?...Thanks....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It's possible. I really don't know much about the 6th gen at this point.

Corvette's always had drive modes but this is probably the most sophisticated system so far.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
you guys are going to be rather surprised when no one mods anything on this car for the duration of it's life cycle.

Quote:
Range V8 will solve that. I use it on my stock SS.
This.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's possible. I really don't know much about the 6th gen at this point.

Corvette's always had drive modes but this is probably the most sophisticated system so far.
this is really the first application of the Driver Mode Select (GM's version of a maniettino - go look at a picture of the steering wheel from a current Ferrari and you'll see the knob). It adjusts the parameters listed in that matrix above depending on what mode you've selected. From info given out at the Bash, AFM will only be applied during cruising/coasting in Tour, not active at all in Sport or Track. Eco will aggressively engage AFM unless you are "aggressively accelerating". So, bottom line is if you stay out of wimp mode then you shouldn't have to deal with AFM much at all - or even avoid totally with Sport/Track modes. CAGS will be active and Bash attendees said that the engineers hate it, only included it again because it's mandated by EPA regs. The programming should be very similar to the C6 so even moderately aggressive driving will override it. I'm not worried about it because I'd expect an aftermarket elimination system almost immediately.

There's also conflicting information because the matrix shows that Launch Control is only active in Track Mode. The Stingray website indicates that Launch Control and PTM are active in both Sport and Track. Hopefully GM copied Audi Drive Select and you'll be able to adjust parameters within each mode to your preference?
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I am with you.. say normal all modes.. eco means to mean comes on early and at more throttle..
that brochure that says user turn off might be old..
i know in camaro automatic it is de-activable but takes an SCT tuner to turn it off.. so maybe thats what they meant..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
Stingray
just can't get enough

Guys.... AFM is off during the "Normal" modes. This has been repeatedly reiterated over & over at the Bash event.