#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #43
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I agree that it is doubtful we get the LT5. But no Camaro generation has gone without a Z/28. I doubt this will be the first.

If GM doesn't have a suitable N/A engine in development and ready in time for end of the 6th gen, I think they would rather drop the N/A requirement and drop the LT5 into a Z/28 badged (limited production) than go without.

Hopefully they do what they should have done with the 6th gen and limit the cars to 602 examples per year for one or two years.
The Z28 badge was used more on a generic V8, than the Z/28 was on an actual Z/28. I would rather they not go back to slapping the Z28 badge on anything.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Z28 badge was used more on a generic V8, than the Z/28 was on an actual Z/28. I would rather they not go back to slapping the Z28 badge on anything.
And that's precisely why there was no Z/28 until the LS7-powered project was green-lighted...The brand is a hallowed name under the leadership of the current Camaro Team.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #45
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Wow guys hold on there is still a lot of time left on the 6th gen clock as far as we all know there is 3 more model years to go and in that time there is a refresh coming after that there will be a Z/28 coming, and it will put a lot of cars down, think 2.0+HP per CI power and a 7500+ red line.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #46
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Wow guys hold on there is still a lot of time left on the 6th gen clock as far as we all know there is 3 more model years to go and in that time there is a refresh coming after that there will be a Z/28 coming, and it will put a lot of cars down, think 2.0+HP per CI power and a 7500+ red line.
How do you know this?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Question

Quote:
How do you know this?
Assuming far as I know there are only a hand full of people that know, this is what I see when I look out, there are many things out there that say it's coming, like a DCT that for the last 1 1/2 years has been in testing, or how we know there is a mid motor corvette is coming, there is more out there, it comes from all I read and see.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #48
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
And that's precisely why there was no Z/28 until the LS7-powered project was green-lighted...The brand is a hallowed name under the leadership of the current Camaro Team.
That’s not correct.

The ZL1 was going to be the Z/28 until community outcry caused the shift.

Early ZL1 parts were stamped with “Z28”.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #49
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Assuming far as I know there are only a hand full of people that know, this is what I see when I look out, there are many things out there that say it's coming, like a DCT that for the last 1 1/2 years has been in testing, or how we know there is a mid motor corvette is coming, there is more out there, it comes from all I read and see.
You are going to say that it is coming without providing any proof that it is coming? you may not require a higher standard then that but I do require a higher standard then that.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #50
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
That’s not correct.

That wasn't correct at the time however since then Al has stated that this is how it is going to be at least for the time being.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
That might be a good slot in the current gen 6 line up - but that will not be a Z/28 - it needs to slot in between SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE - no creature comforts, light as possible - what NA motor - who knows?
Yeah, I agree. But I do think that the Z/28 should be a more affordable track toy. The Z/28 used to be a performance package for the Camaro, like the 1LE. It, even by 1970’s standards, was a bargain. Perhaps a 6th gen Z/28 pack could be the right.
Have 2.0T, V6, and LT1 Z/28s with the full ZL1 1LE suspension setup, eLSD, F1 3R tires, ZL1 brakes, and regular 1LE aero. Delete the electronics, A/C, rear seats, as much sound deadening as possible, active exhaust, and give it lighter Front seats. Make Carbon ceramics and ZL1 1LE aero optional on LT1 models, and a/c and electronics optional on all models. A ZL1 Z/28 wth standard carbon ceramics and ZL1 1LE aero would be the top dog.

The 2.0T would be an insane autocrosser, the V6 would be both an autocross car and an affordable track toy. The LT1 model would beat most cars around road courses and could double as a drag car. The LT4 Z/28 would serve as The ultimate 6th Gen Camaro, Beating all but the best around any track and running with “Drag radials and pulleys” hellcats at the strip.

That’s how I would bring back the Z/28 if I could, but there’s no way Chevy would do it in such a manner.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
That’s not correct.

But it wasn't called "Z/28", and so didn't exist. "Community outcry" isn't quite accurate, either, because really the car was still unknown to the public at large...and that's sort of what I was alluding to by "leadership".

In any event...I think the existence of the ZL1 1LE eliminates the possibility of a faster car. Frankly, that car could have been called Z/28 if not for the principal of natural aspiration.

So the Z/28 would have to be something more extreme and track-focused than a 1SS 1LE, but in the same vein. In my personal opinion...that would congest the upper end of Camaro performance for no reason other than to build a car that wears a particular badge.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:47 AM   #53
Bhobbs

Quote:
But it wasn't called "Z/28", and so didn't exist. "Community outcry" isn't quite accurate, either, because really the car was still unknown to the public at large...and that's sort of what I was alluding to by "leadership".

In any event...I think the existence of the ZL1 1LE eliminates the possibility of a faster car. Frankly, that car could have been called Z/28 if not for the principal of natural aspiration.

So the Z/28 would have to be something more extreme and track-focused than a 1SS 1LE, but in the same vein. In my personal opinion...that would congest the upper end of Camaro performance for no reason other than to build a car that wears a particular badge.
I think there is still space for a Z/28, even if it sits around the ZL1 price range. The Z/28 should offer a different experience than the ZL1.

I would take an n/a Z/28 over the ZL1, even if they were identically priced.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #54
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I think there is still space for a Z/28, even if it sits around the ZL1 price range. The Z/28 should offer a different experience than the ZL1.

I would take an n/a Z/28 over the ZL1, even if they were identically priced.
Let me pose a "Devil's Advocate" question...why not a 1SS or 2SS/1LE?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #55
Bhobbs

Quote:
I have a 5th gen 1LE and love that car but my dad has a 15 Z/28 and that is one of the few cars I would give up my 1LE for. The experience of that car is like nothing I have had before behind the wheel.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #56
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Because the 1SS/2SS 1LE still looks like the Base SS model.

It seems that there is an open spot for a car with all of the suspension and body design parts with the N/A LT1 engine. It's a proven formula already on the Corvette side with the Grand Sport, in both the 6th and 7th Generation.

I promise you that if they built this car and priced it starting $7 to $10K more than the SS 1LE, they would sell a lot of them. They also have to drop any idea of a 'stripped down race car', that was the stumbling point of the 5th Gen Z/28, though cool, and they probably didn't want to make a lot of them, the marketing scenario for Gen6 is different. They will actually be better off marketing the car as the 'daily driver' version of the ZL1-1LE.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote