The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Arrow Q&A with Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager, on the Stingray

The follow Q&A is from a live chat session with Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager, held today Wed. Jan. 23rd., hosted by the Detroit Free Press.

Attachment 464

Q: How long before I can get my order in????

A: The Stingray goes on sale in the third quarter of this year. Harlan, do you have specifics yet? We should be getting order guides to our dealers around May and 2014 Corvette Stingrays should be hitting showrooms late summer this year.

Q: What will be the sticker price for the 2014 Corvette?

A: We have not announced pricing yet but if you can afford a 2013 Corvette than you should be able to afford a 2014 Corvette Stingray. Corvette is in what we call the luxury high performance sports car segment so Porsche, Ferrari, Audi R8 etc...

Q: Harlan, at what point in the development process did you know it would be called a Stingray?

A: Stingray is a name we are very passionate about and talked about it early on but reserved the final decision until the design was complete. Only then did we decide the design waqs worthy of being a Stingray

Q: Is there a target date to order the C7 convertible?
Q: Will there be a 2014 convertible?

A: Yes there will be a Corvette Stingray Convertible but I have no announcement as for timing as yet. You can plan to see a special convertible reveal in the future when we will release more details.

Q: The coupe has a removable roof panel, right Harlan? It's carbon-fibre, yes?

A: Yes - The Corvette Stingray has a standard body color carbo fiber removable roof panel that is light and easy to remove and store in the trunk. Clear coated visible carbon fiber option is shown in the show cars and we will have a transparent roof panel available too.

Q: It's supposed to be easier for a single person to remove, right?

A: Yes the new roof panel is only 16 pounds comared to 26 in the previous generation so it is very easy for one person to remove and store using just 3 latches

Q: Is there a weight Savings difference in the back window If so how much difference from the C6 version? Harlan, how important are new materials to the Stingray?

A: Yes there is a weight savings from going away from the large rear window to the 3 piece design. About 5 lbs. We have done a lot of work on materials to reduce weight. The standard aluminum frame saves 100 lbs vs the previous steel frame yet is 57% stiffer. Carbon fiber and carbon nano hybrid composites save about another 35 lbs.

Q: I love the new contemporary design of the rear end. A lot of nay-sayers felt you should have used round tail lights. How hard of a decision was that? My question is this....what happened when GM got to the back end of the Stingray?? Did they just give up? Looking forward to the car but that back end is awful.

A: One of the missions of the new Corvette Stingray was to show it is a new Corvette statement so we stayed with the 4 element lights but did them an an all new way taking advantage of LED technology. We turned the circles inside out to create new Corvette signature as the rear is the part most people see. The new lights also enable the functional cooling vents in the rear.

Q: Harlan, previous 'Vettes were often criticized for having great styling and performance but mediocre interior materials. Does the 2014 address that?

A: We have used the best materials available in the new Corvette Stingry. Real Napa Leather, real carbon fiber and real aluminum. We can even get the interior upper trim (headliner, A pilers, etc) wrapped in suede.

Q: Have you considered a stinger hood for the stingray?

A: The Stingray hood has a special vent direct from Corvette racing that vents hot air from the forward tilted radiator that reduces aerdynamic lift at high speeds to make the car more stable. You can see that technology right on the C6R Le Mans race car and we added it to the production car.

Q: Will the new Stingray automatic still use a shift nob and paddles such as in the old Chevy Malibu, or will it get a real flappy paddle gear box?

A: The Corvette Stingray has a standard 7-speed manual with active rev match and an available 6-speed automatic with steering wheel shift paddles (+ on right / - on left). The 7-speed manual retains the skip shift feature but it is not very intrusive unless you drive very slow

Q: Can the rev match system be turned off in the manual version? Some people still enjoy the art of doing it themselves. I'll admit to being part of a graying breed there...

A: The 7-speed manual's Active Rev Match feature is defaulted to 'off' unless the driver turns it on using the paddles. The nice thing about active rev match even if you are skilled driver is that it reduces your mental work load when driving so you can learn the track first and then decide to turn it ff if you want.

Q: Will it be able to outperform the viper and its german and italian competitors like the previous gen

A: We will put the new Corvette Stingray up against any of the worlds sports cars. We have shown America can compete with the best in the world and win and we are not going to stop now. I cannot discuss our future plans other than to say the Corvette team is always looking to increase performance.

Q: What different models of C7 can we expect over the next 18 months, i.e. a Z06, a ZR1 a Grand Sport, and a 427 ????

A: We will have the Corvette Stingray for 2014. I cannot discuss our future plans for other models other than to say the Corvette team is always looking to increase performance

Q: Does GM feel the C7 will affect the sales of the 2013?

A: We already have all our orders in for 2013 model year so it is set. Production of the 2013 Corvette ends early so last chance to get a 2013 Corvette 60th Anniversary or a 427 Convertible.

Q: Harlan - how do you plan on bringing in younger owners.

A: While Harlan answers this question, quick story: Several GM executives have told me their teenage kids want the new Stingray but they won't let them get one.

Now that we have an all new Corvette Stingray, this is our chance to attract sports car enthusiast of all ages who may not have considered a Corvette before. The level of technology and attention to detail in materials show this new Corvette is more than just a great performance car.

GM North America President Mark Reuss said last week: "We will sell a Corvette to anybody who has money and wants a Corvette. I don't want to get too hung up on who we're selling it to. I'll sell it to my son if he has money for it. If he gets a ticket, it's gone." Then he laughed.

Q: Just make the car affordable so young guys can own it. The Viper is cool but the price is just not realistic. I love hearing stories of my dad and uncle, growing up in Lansing in the 60s and 70s, owning all sorts of different sports cars. I wish the days of young men affording those cars would come back.

A: We want lots of people to be able to attain a Corvette Stingray but we also want to be the sports car of choice for those that can afford any sports car - no excuses.

Q: Can one put more than one golf bag in the back of the C7 convertible? My C6 convertible only holds 1 bag. I have to carry the clubs up front.

A: The 6th generation Corvette Convertible can hold two golf bags in the trunk if the trunk partition is unsnapped with the top up.
Attached Images

Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
I found the answers on rev matching, removal panel, and construction materials helpful.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
His points are spot on.

GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Generic scripted 2x: "We will have the Corvette Stingray for 2014. I cannot discuss our future plans for other models other than to say the Corvette team is always looking to increase performance."
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Found my first mod. >>>>> Skip shift....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1

Good Info!

JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
The follow Q&A is from a live chat session with Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager, held today Wed. Jan. 23rd., hosted by the Detroit Free Press.

Q: What different models of C7 can we expect over the next 18 months, i.e. a Z06, a ZR1 a Grand Sport, and a 427 ????

A: We will have the Corvette Stingray for 2014. I cannot discuss our future plans for other models other than to say the Corvette team is always looking to increase performance.
Fast forward to today... and voila! The mighty Z06 is just over the horizon!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote