The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
ChevyMan861

Drives: 2012
Do modern Vettes have fuel return lines?

Hi everyone,
It's a C7 (2014) and I recently noticed small leakage on the ground. It appeared gas. So, I took it to the tech and the guy told that it is the fuel return line failure, and it's got to be replaced. I've got no problem about replacing it, yet I always thought that the fuel return lines were only in the carburated engines (to return remains of the fuel back in tank). Or that is just the traditional name for that line... If anyone knows what is it for, I'd be very grateful for a good explanation.
ChevyMan861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
I was at my dealer today and talked to one of the service reps who handles Corvettes. He said that Chevrolet started to put a fuel return line on C6 Vettes part way thru the generation, possible when the LS3 was introduced in 2008 but he wasn't sure. The fuel line goes from the tank to the fuel rail crossover on the engine. Any fuel that is not used is returned to the tank via the return fuel rail which follows the fuel line. He said it could be as much as a couple of galions/hr on an LT1 and more on an LT4 because of the extreme high pressure of the pumps. Lines are now all stainless steel and the fuel and return lines no longer have any rubber type flexible sections due to the high pressure.
He said he had never heard of this problem and if he had been told this, his initial guess would probably be a fitting leaking and following the line to the lowest point before dripping rather than the actual line since that is pretty well protected. I don't know but it kind of makes sense. It 's a large dealer (over 300 Vette sales/yr and this guy has been there a long time.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
ChevyMan861

Drives: 2012
Wow, thanks a lot for great explanation, man! I am grateful that you checked it out with a person who really knows how the stuff works. Cause I was under impression that these hoses were required only with the carbureted engines. As I was sure that modern EFIs calculate the needed amount that has to be injected and nothing remains to return. So was surprised when I was told that I've got these in my Vette.
As for the hoses, I've already ordered a kit and it's on its way to me (https://www.carid.com/fuel-return-lines/). Yet I do not know, whether it comes with the fittings or no. So we'll see when it gets here. Anyways, I do not plan selling my Vette for now, so will keep the hose even if the OE one is fine.

Last edited by ChevyMan861; 02-16-2017 at 02:17 AM.
ChevyMan861 is offline   Reply With Quote