The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 10:27 AM   #1
$inferno
Trust No One

Drives: 94 Camaro Z28 & 2010 Camaro 1LT IOM
2024 Dodge Charger Daytona (EV + ICE), Scat Pack and Daytona R/T Revealed

Official: 2024 Dodge Charger Daytona (EV + ICE), Scat Pack and Daytona R/T Revealed for Mid-2024 Production! 670 Horsepower, 0-60 in 3.3 Secs

Specs & pics -- https://www.chargerdaytonaforum.com/...-3-secs.10861/

2010 Camaro 1LT V6/A6
94 Camaro Z28 A4
$inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:25 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Thank you I haven't found such a detailed read on them before. They put lots of changes to them and creative thinking into Modes and gimmics and such.
I wonder how that grill design will play out? It looks far to pedestrian for a muscle car to me. Maybe they were going for that hideaway headlights version of the old school which I do like but this looks rent a car to me.
Over all I have to say it is exciting performance in various packages.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:30 PM   #3
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Impressive. I like the renderings. Lots of visual LX platform heritage blended with the traditional lines of these cars. And props to Stellantis for keeping the names on sedans, and also keeping a coupe around.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #4
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Certainly brings the LX/LY heritage of being heavy porkers to this generation....

6000 lb.....
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:55 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Cost?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:53 PM   #6
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
I was just reading another article about this. Rather than start another thread I'll just leave the link here.

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/05/...e-sedan-reveal
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:14 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So I think it's pretty sweet that Dodge is back in the game again with a 2 door and 4 door muscle car....so just like that...gm is now the only one missing an "affordable" pony/muscle car, while Ford has the Mustang and Dodge/Stellantis offers us this. I also think it's really awesome that they are offering this car in EV and ICE versions...major kudos!

That said, for me, this is not a good looking car. It does nothing for me visually. Complete boredom compared to the current Charger and Challenger. But I've seen lots of comments saying they think the car looks great. So maybe it' just me. But if I don't like the way a car / truck looks...no matter what else it offers, then I'm out. I'm holding out hope that actual real life photos of the car change my mind.

Hope they sell a bunch of em!
Old 03-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #8
Evergreen6

"AWD" in the EV version with over 600hp and just as much torque will be wild. It's one thing to have tons of power, and it's another thing to be able to meaningfully put it to the ground.

Sounds like the typical staggered production start where the Daytona/ high cost and fully equipped models will be produced first, and will likely sell out. Spring 2025 is said to be when the more spartan versions will be produced.

I don't know when the twin-turbo inline 6 models will come. That's one heck of an engine, though.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:05 PM   #9
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Couldn't give me one and just wait and watch the used ICE chargers and challengers values go through the roof. 👍
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:53 PM   #10
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I think it's great Dodge is introducing a coupe and giving muscle car fans something to be interested in with the I6 or six pack as it's been coined. Hopefully the Hurricane will be offered with a manual.

Maybe Dodge was contractually obligated to build this in Canada but as a Canadian it's great production for the Charger remains here. Even closer to Detroit now and I know Stellantis is building a battery plant in Windsor as well. I'm sure all part of the bigger picture and offering this with an ICE is a good idea.

I'm not sure who is going to readily open their wallet for a 5838lb EV coupe though. How much will the EV sedan weigh? I know Dodge muscle cars have been heavy but what magic needs to be baked into these to make them engaging to drive. The EV version will need to be great to lure a current V8 Charger owner to the new model and I don't think the "Fratzonic" noise maker is going to do it. Everyone should call this Fartzonic. Again it's great this will be offered with an inline 6 eventually.

The promotional video released by Dodge (see below) is cheesy and awkward. If you need to explain why you're building an EV muscle car I don't imagine it will appeal to current owners or many interested in the segment. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I'm looking forward to the specs on the Hurricane powered Charger.
https://youtu.be/uGAZkn11hcw?si=JAl8nWUOMKEeWnNd
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
I think the big open question is the attempt to change the definition of muscle cars. If Dodge can sell motorheads on the idea that an AWD EV is a muscle car, the next logical step of a proud lineage of hemi driven power they might be successful.

Of course they have to figure out a solution to the cost issue, but at least at that point they might have a significant number of people who would be interested in buying, even if they can’t afford to.

I’m not a super smart consultant who gets paid big money to speak to auto execs, but I have been a muscle car fan and speed freak for about 50 years now.

I’ll be surprised if many folks who grew up lusting after a Chevelle SS, or a 69 Charger, or a 67 GTO see this as an appealing alternative. I think sales will be lackluster and eventually the usual suspects will chip in and explain that Dodge never intended to sell many of these because…reasons.
I don't know why some people are so agitated. Take a chill pill. That hurricane 6 cyl sounds great if it's reliable. I'll go try to find more info on it now. In AWD it is finally doing what Audi and BMW have been doing a LONG time and I can say from a stoplight losers prospective AWD in a 400+ package will win over much higher hp in rear wheel drive only on a typical streel, not a super sticky VHT prepped smooth concrete with fresh rubber laid down and heated rear slicks. The latter is all good but who of us has access to that to enjoy our cars? I see the top speed is capped at 135mph, that's low but it's only a number, same thing who has access to roads to allow more than that? I can say I've not in my high HP Camaro, it can go over 200mph but it could have the capability to go the speed of sound but what good is that to me? Bragging rights? I'm too old to give a damn about that. I'll stick to a melted jellybean and appreciate the now OOOOOLD school supercharged v8s on e85 Edit : slicks hellcat getting walked by plaid

Last edited by silversleeper; 03-07-2024 at 11:56 AM.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:20 AM   #12
Evergreen6

I think the folks who were 16 when the 67 GTO and 69 Charger came out probably aren't interested, nor is the new car likely marketed towards them. Stellantis is likely aiming for the 35-55/ish crowd.

The previous Charger and Challenger had AWD available. V6 only, I believe.

If this was GM selling an EV Camaro coupe, I'd absolutely want one. If it was GM selling a Camaro coupe with a twin-turbo inline 6, I'd absolutely want one.

The FCA (now Stellantis) Hurricane engine is pretty awesome. It shares basic architecture with the 4-cylinder turbo version that has been in production since 2016. The Jeep Wrangler has been using it since 2018.

I don't think think Stellantis is too concerned with "changing the definition of a muscle car". I think they're concerned with marketing one of the first unapologetic muscle EV's for a crowd that is excited to finally see one. I don't think Stellantis plans to sell tons of these like they did LX cars to rental fleets. Dodge is somewhat of a dying brand so I think it makes a lot of sense to try out a new segment here.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:12 AM   #13
Evergreen6

Sixpack was the more likely bastardization than Slant Six.

The developed world has moved on from carburetors in production automobiles so it makes sense that the Six pack name is free to take on new meaning in a modern era.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:25 PM   #14
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
GM also did try and trot out Tri-power for the turbo 2.7's 3 camshaft modes. Picking at the dead Pontiac wound. Name reuse is bad idea in a lot of cases.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote