Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Picked up a screw today in my rear tire

Seems like this always happens to me. I keep picking up screws or nails down here in South Florida and it's getting real tiring. I will be plugging it tonight. Good thing we have the TPMS in our cars. What do you all do when this happens? Anyone else have this kind of bad luck frequently? Sad thing is I just purchased these tires new back in September recently.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I feel you. bought a new set of tires this time last year and no less than 2 months later had to replace one cause a stick or something punctured the sidewall.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
On my 2001 I ended up have to replace pairs of tires due to road debris about once a year. I had that car for 8 years, and never got the full life out of a single set of tires. Apparently for my 2015, it's windshields. I'm on my third already, and a street sweeper this morning tried to make it my 4th. Gained 2 new nicks in my 3 week old windshield.
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
I got a screw in my rear drivers side tire about a month ago. I paid a little extra at the dealership for rim and tire protection when I got the car for two reasons. One, no spare tire and two, I think I was born with a screw magnet in me. I put some air in the tire and drove to the dealership where they said they were going to patch it but ended up replacing both rears. It took 3 hours for that and an oil change but didn't cost me anything and I had a chance to get up close and personal with a 2018 zl1 1le

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
had 3. plugged one. caught and removed the other two before they became a problem. i'm always looking at my treads and my pressures.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
I got a screw in my rear drivers side tire about a month ago. I paid a little extra at the dealership for rim and tire protection when I got the car for two reasons. One, no spare tire and two, I think I was born with a screw magnet in me. I put some air in the tire and drove to the dealership where they said they were going to patch it but ended up replacing both rears. It took 3 hours for that and an oil change but didn't cost me anything and I had a chance to get up close and personal with a 2018 zl1 1le

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Same here when that happened to my 2011. Apparently going to the dealer is not an option for me since I purchased the tires from TireRack and the dealer will not have Conti's readily available. Not only that, the dealer replaced my tire on my 2011 because they did not want to assume responsibility for a plugged tire and basically said it could not be repaired. Therefore I was left with no choice but to purchase new. No thanks. I'll plug this one now and call it day because I've had tires last for over 30k miles when plugged on another car I used to own.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
had 3. plugged one. caught and removed the other two before they became a problem. i'm always looking at my treads and my pressures.
Same here since it seems to be a common occurrence down here in South Florida. Especially with my SUV as well.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Back in June I was about 100 feet from a traffic light at night, and damn I was sure I ran over something. Popped up the DIC to tire pressure and was watching the right rear. 37, 36, 35 ... damn when will this light change? About 1/2 way home I filled up at a service station. Arrived home with 8 lbs pressure. Tire store could not repair as it was a 1-inch slice, not just a hole.

I still don't know what I hit. It was dark. And now I have one tire with 10K less miles than the rest.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
And about the same time my wife picked up a screw in her right front. We traded the car in with the screw still in there. Lost about 2 lbs of air a month.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
Owned this 14 2SS since Sept. 17 and 1 screw and 1 windshield.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
About a month ago, picked up two different screw's in the same week. Luckily the first was repairable and the second didn't puncture.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Same here when that happened to my 2011. Apparently going to the dealer is not an option for me since I purchased the tires from TireRack and the dealer will not have Conti's readily available. Not only that, the dealer replaced my tire on my 2011 because they did not want to assume responsibility for a plugged tire and basically said it could not be repaired. Therefore I was left with no choice but to purchase new. No thanks. I'll plug this one now and call it day because I've had tires last for over 30k miles when plugged on another car I used to own.
Tire Rack includes road hazard insurance with all their sales. Look up one of their installers.

A tire should be plugged and patched from the inside to maintain your warranty. It shouldn't be an issue with a screw in the tread.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Tire Rack includes road hazard insurance with all their sales. Look up one of their installers.

A tire should be plugged and patched from the inside to maintain your warranty. It shouldn't be an issue with a screw in the tread.

That is true. Looks like my Chevy dealer is one of the TireRack installers. I also like the fact that they have Road Force Balance available there. If the dealer determines it cannot be fixed, then TireRack will send another??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
That is true. Looks like my Chevy dealer is one of the TireRack installers. I also like the fact that they have Road Force Balance available there. If the dealer determines it cannot be fixed, then TireRack will send another??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the main reason for the coverage.