Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
JacFab Ported Intake and Spacer

I know there are a couple threads on this already but I read opposing views in some and need a definite answer. I'm thinking about getting the ported intake and spacer combo from JacFab but I read that it makes the car run to lean if you aren't tuned. I don't want to void my warranty so I'm not tuning until my warranty is up.

Right now I have CAI intake, ARH castles downpipes, stock resonator delete, and the MRT V2 axleback. Can I run these without leaning my car out to much?

Also, how hard are these to install? I don't have much experience but I'd rather do this myself and save some money instead of bringing it to a shop.

Thanks.
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Look at my signature below. Now I haven't made passes with the wheels, because they haven't shipped yet. Or the ported throttle body, because I just put it on last week... But the intake spacer (didn't do the ported intake) hands down made the biggest improvement in my 1/4 mile ET out of all of the mods. Buy it.

The mods are listed in the order they were purchased and installed. Still stock tune. Dropped 3 tenths of a second from stock.
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroLT View Post
I know there are a couple threads on this already but I read opposing views in some and need a definite answer. I'm thinking about getting the ported intake and spacer combo from JacFab but I read that it makes the car run to lean if you aren't tuned. I don't want to void my warranty so I'm not tuning until my warranty is up.

Right now I have CAI intake, ARH castles downpipes, stock resonator delete, and the MRT V2 axleback. Can I run these without leaning my car out to much?

Also, how hard are these to install? I don't have much experience but I'd rather do this myself and save some money instead of bringing it to a shop.

Thanks.
You can view the intake spacer installation instructions here: http://jacfab.com/wp-content/uploads...tions-rev2.pdf

I don't have a specific set of instructions for the intake manifold, but if you're doing the spacer install, you're already 90%+ of the way there for the intake. You just need to swap over your throttle body, MAP sensor, and purge solenoid onto the new intake manifold, then put the spacer and lower intake piece on and reassemble.

I can do the install on either in less than 30 minutes myself, but for a first timer I'd say just take your time, and make sure you have the necessary tools at hand, you can to it in 1-1.5 hours max. Most people that report back to me say it takes 45-60 minutes.

Once the car adjusts itself from the new parts installed, it should be plenty fine as far as fueling goes. I was running the ARH high flow cats, the intake, spacer, and a CAI towards the end on the stock tune and had no issues, fueling was well within safe ranges.

Let me ask you this though, just out of curiosity. With the ARH catless pipes you're running, aren't they throwing the check engine light all the time? Or do you have o2 sensor extensions and that's enough to keep the check engine light off? If you're on the stock tune still, and don't want a tune, the check engine light must be coming on all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Town Terror View Post
Look at my signature below. Now I haven't made passes with the wheels, because they haven't shipped yet. Or the ported throttle body, because I just put it on last week... But the intake spacer (didn't do the ported intake) hands down made the biggest improvement in my 1/4 mile ET out of all of the mods. Buy it.

The mods are listed in the order they were purchased and installed. Still stock tune. Dropped 3 tenths of a second from stock.
Thanks for your kind words. Where can I check out these times that you are running? I don't see anything in your sig, time wise?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
PyroLT

Ok. Thanks. I put my ARH pipes on myself so I think I should be able to do this if its only about 1 hour of work. I used the spark plug non foulers for my back ones. I have had them on for 1000 miles and have had no issues.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
PyroLT

And by back ones I meant the rear O2 sensors.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroLT View Post
And by back ones I meant the rear O2 sensors.
I gotcha. Hopefully they work for you, but don't be surprised if the check engine light does come on some day... Some get lucky, some don't.

If you can put ARH pipes on yourself, you can definitely do the intake and/or spacer install.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
PyroLT

Alright then.... just got my next mod. I'm hoping I can get away without a tune until the end of my warranty but if I run out of things to do I'll probably just say heck with it. Eventually I want to go FI so I'll have to have a tune but I'm not sure when I'm going to pull the trigger on that.

My biggest issue I had when installing the ARH pipes was that I keep getting rained on. It ended up taking me threes days to get them on because I was doing it in my dorm parking lot and could only work between my classes.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
The intake and spacer is worth every dollar and the best 30 -45 minutes your spend modding your car. Get some SeaFoam while the intake is off and clean the valves while your there.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Twin Town Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Thanks for your kind words. Where can I check out these times that you are running? I don't see anything in your sig, time wise?
June 6th 2015: Rock Falls Raceway Rock Falls, WI
66 deg. F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 45 deg.
Pressure: 30.18" steady
DA: 1210'

Modifications to car: CAI cold air intake, Elite Oil Catch Can, Elite Clean Side Oil Separator

Number of passes: 9
Avg. 60': 2.172
Avg. 1/4 Mile ET: 14.443
Avg. 1/4 Mile MPH: 96.64

July 18 2015: Rock Fall Raceway Rock Falls, WI
80 deg. F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 68.7 deg.
Pressure: 29.78" steady
DA: 2708'

Modifications to car: CAI cold air intake, Elite Oil Catch Can, Elite Clean Side Oil Separator, ARH Catless Downpipes, Big Daddies Garage Mini Cat O2 Fix, Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe

Number of passes: 10
Avg. 60': 2.248
Avg. 1/4 Mile ET: 14.472
Avg. 1/4 Mile MPH: 97.581

Lost .076 of second in the first 60' but only lost .029 at the stripe. Picked up a whole mile per hour. Even in the much worse weather conditions it's clearly making a lot more horsepower in the upper RPM range, but looks like it lost low end torque.

Obviously a tune most likely would not only get the low end back but also improve the horsepower gains even more. However, I think I am going to go with the Jac-Fab Intake Spacer first. I really want the tune to be the very last step.

August 29 2015: Rock Fall Raceway Rock Falls, WI
61 deg. F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 56.3 deg.
Pressure: 29.26" steady
DA: 1100'

Modifications to car: CAI cold air intake, Elite Oil Catch Can, Elite Clean Side Oil Separator, ARH Catless Downpipes, Big Daddies Garage Mini Cat O2 Fix, Magnaflow 16583 cat-back exhaust, JacFab intake spacer.
Number of passes: 7
Avg. 60': 2.174
Avg. 1/4 Mile ET: 14.190
Avg. 1/4 Mile MPH: 99.01

Quickest pass so far: 14.154
Fastest mph: 99.89

I have made a ton more passes, but they are bracket racing passes. I typically dial in at the 14.17 to 14.24 range. Won two events this year! Going after the track championship next year!!!
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.

Last edited by Twin Town Terror; 10-31-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
12Camarols

Drives: 2012 chevy camaro ls
would the spacer work for a boosted setup?
12Camarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
Twin Town Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Camarols View Post
Forced induction changes things, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. In my experience anything that helped with flow and velocity on a NA engine also worked when forced induction was added.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
My nitrous LOVES the spacer, so boost should be ggooooooddddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Camarols View Post
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I ordered a spacer over the weekend... now, I'll sit by the door until it arrives.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
PyroLT

I couldn't find anything on your site about the ported manifold. Could you PM me a price for that. Also, will you be having any discounts on these come Black Friday? Thanks