Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #85
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
You know, I wouldn't mind if we went back to riding horses. I like horsies!
mustang fanboy...LOL
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #86
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
mustang fanboy...LOL
actually, the mustang was named after the famed P51 mustang of WWII, not the horse.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #87
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
actually, the mustang was named after the famed P51 mustang of WWII, not the horse.

Maybe just the '64 grille was horse inspired. Ya know, that big chrome galloping hose emblem.

Since the P51 was named after the horse. I guess either the plane or the horse could be in the debate. But in the chicken or egg timeline...horse wins. As Ford tells the story, Mustang was originally presented as a potential name in the spirit of the P51, but the bosses didn't like airplane names. Until they found out the plane was named after a horse. So they went with the horse story, and the rest is "pony" car history. Went well with other animal names in the auto world. Soon to be followed by someone with "Panther" dreams. But... the animal names were getting played out, comrades we need something new...
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #88
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
graphene...the roof and hood of my 2025 SS will be so strong i can give elephant rides with no dings.and i wont have to plug in to charge...itll be great.
Lol
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #89

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Oh, those induction drives have a very high torque curve, especially when starting across the line. I can't wait until Chevy starts to introduce those e-muscle cars.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
obviously, you build more generating capacity. and there is already a great deal of spare capacity. it's never utilized except for the hottest and coldest of days. but the demands aren't a great as you think. I know people with EV's and the amount of electricity they use to recharge their cars a per month is almost negligible. less than $50. right now at least a third of all electricity is lost in transmission, or poorly run grids. the savings from that alone would take care of the needs of electric cars.

sure, updating our very old and inefficient grid would be expensive, but so long as there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it will happen. the potential of selling electricty from one end of the country to another at tens of thousands of charging station will inevitable attract investors and venture capitalist to fund. As scalded dog was saying, you just need the cars out there first. somebody will build the better mouse trap.
So let's say it's only $20 electricity per car per month . . . times what, 100 million cars? 200 million? How many megawatts of new demand is that?

The more of the reserve capacity you start dedicating to what almost amounts to base load, the less you'll have on hand to cope with outages.

Never mind the generating loss you know is going to happen as those 500 - 1000 mW nuclear plants come out of service - that's going to be a huge amount of base capacity to replace just to avoid losing ground. For those who may not know, nuclear plants were originally licensed for only 40 years, though a few have been extended out to 60 . . . but even the younger plants are something like 30 years into that. All told, I spent about 30 years in the industry that designed and built those plants and kept them running/extended their service life afterward.

And then there's the matter of coal and its share of the generating capacity . . . and the fact that solar isn't going to be of much help for overnight EV recharging.

Norm
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #91
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427K View Post
Oh, those induction drives have a very high torque curve, especially when starting across the line. I can't wait until Chevy starts to introduce those e-muscle cars.
I guess if you're of a traditional muscle-car and drag-race orientation, that might be a good thing.

It's not so good for those who like their engine performance to come in higher up in the rev range, or where carving corners is the preferred game.

Norm
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #92
redcoats1976

im really thinking graphene solar panels would be the way to go.why transfer pollution from multiple mobile sources to one big stationary one? plus there would be no loss of power getting the electricity to your charger(which produces heat,therefore waste)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #93
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Do you want daytime use of that EV? Think about it.

Norm
Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #94
redcoats1976

would need batteries to store the solar power of course,for nighttime use.but think of how many hours cars spend sitting in the employee parking lot soaking up rays while the owners work.solar power will be big in 30 years.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #95
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

So how many watts per square meter can you extract from even strong sunlight on a cloudless day, and how many watts will you need to guarantee you'll get home at the end of the day and back in again in the morning (if solar is going to be that car's only source of recharge)?

FWIW, where I live it's overcast today with rain/possible thunderstorms in the forecast, and there are some employed people for whom garage parking is the only "option" . . . not everybody is going to get a roof spot.

Norm
Old 10-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #96
redcoats1976

thats true.i park in the florida sun,no garage except at my house,and its 20 miles round trip per day.for others that setup might not work,and for that reason i wouldnt think EVs will ever captiure 100% of the market,but they should be an option.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #97
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
The more I think about electric cars, the logicalness of it is quite apparent. As much as I love the sound of my v8 Camaro, electric cars are the future. Distance between charges will increase, as well as power. We see it now in some very expensive electric cars that easily beat my Camaro for 0-60 times. But think of us NOT being dependent upon foreign oil, NOT polluting our air with emissions that more than likely are causing a lot of us health issues. And think of the silence in traffic. Like I said, I love the sound of my muscle car, but the future will not be kind to our cars. Only wealthy people will be able to afford the gas as the government "raises" the price to force people to finally get rid of all gas powered vehicles. It will happen. Maybe not all in my lifetime, but I see the advantages. As far as muscle cars, don't fret, there will be fast, good looking electric cars. We just won't be able to shift our beloved manuals, and the future generation will wonder what all that noise was about. Think of the simple maintenance as well! No more oil changes, filters, hoses, coolant, mufflers, belts, etc. The future is coming.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #98
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I can see it now. An EV owner will have sound clips of a Camaro SS with Borla ATAK on their ipods and listen to that instead of music....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote