Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #127
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Like I said earlier, you want the right vehicle for snow? Get a tracked vehicle. An M2A1 or maybe an M3 is pretty heavy-duty and you can pick one up for less than 20K. If they survived WWII, they'll survive 10" of snow and get you where you're going every time.

My Dodge truck will do 10" of snow just fine. I thought you were talking about something fun like a snowmobile.

Just get a tank or a helicoptor.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #128
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Maybe ne like this can do it !
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #129
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
My Camaro will do 10" of powder. So will everybody else's.

I want to see the FWD econoboxes in my work parking lot make it through ten inches of wet snow. In fact I'd like to see any car with the typical ground clearance of the normal passenger car in new car lots travel any appreciable distance through 10" of unplowed wet snow.

Like I said earlier, you want the right vehicle for snow? Get a tracked vehicle. An M2A1 or maybe an M3 is pretty heavy-duty and you can pick one up for less than 20K. If they survived WWII, they'll survive 10" of snow and get you where you're going every time.
My beater with snow tires can do it no problem, just need the 10" of snow now if it will ever come our way
Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #130
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
My Camaro will do 10" of powder. So will everybody else's.

I want to see the FWD econoboxes in my work parking lot make it through ten inches of wet snow. In fact I'd like to see any car with the typical ground clearance of the normal passenger car in new car lots travel any appreciable distance through 10" of unplowed wet snow.

You know, sometimes it's not about the vehicle, but the tires you are using.

I've been saying for many years, it's the winter tires that make the car, not the other way around.

Case in point, a dude at work was braaaging how his neighbour in his Porsche Cayenne with air suspension and locking rear diff, couldn't even back out on 2 inches of snow and some ice, while him in his little Corolla had no issues at all.

He obviously missed the point, and in trying to convey to his entourage, that somehow the Corolla was a superior (whilst much cheaper as well) car...I couldn't handle that none sense at all, so I barged into that conversation.

Anyone with some car sense, knows the idiot in the Cayenne most likely had high performance, wide all seasons on. Not more needs to be said. You could have the heaviest, baddest machine out there, but if the tires are too hard and wide, without the proper tread design, mothernature will have the last laugh.

Btw, the best winter vehicle I ever owned was indeed a VW Touareg V8, which is essentially the same as a Cayenne. I had the air suspension and locking rear diff, but i also had the best winter tires on money could buy. During the largest snow storm in 3 decades, out of 30 cars in our lot, mine was the only one to make it out.

The formula: Air suspension raised full height, proper tires, traction control off, and a good driver.

Oh yes, worth reiterating, in DEEP snow, dudes, PLEASE shut off the traction control, or you_will_get_stuck regardless of!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #131
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
My Dodge truck will do 10" of snow just fine. I thought you were talking about something fun like a snowmobile.

Just get a tank or a helicoptor.
I thought about the tank, but the weight....many roads can't handle it. And the helo...I need a pilot's license. That's why I say: go half-track, or go home! Perfect winter vehicle. Good visibility owing to the height of the cabin. Track propelled. Heavy, but not 50 tons heavy. Bonus: practically impossible to door ding.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #132
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
You know, sometimes it's not about the vehicle, but the tires you are using.

I've been saying for many years, it's the winter tires that make the car, not the other way around.

Case in point, a dude at work was braaaging how his neighbour in his Porsche Cayenne with air suspension and locking rear diff, couldn't even back out on 2 inches of snow and some ice, while him in his little Corolla had no issues at all.

He obviously missed the point, and in trying to convey to his entourage, that somehow the Corolla was a superior (whilst much cheaper as well) car...I couldn't handle that none sense at all, so I barged into that conversation.

Anyone with some car sense, knows the idiot in the Cayenne most likely had high performance, wide all seasons on. Not more needs to be said. You could have the heaviest, baddest machine out there, but if the tires are too hard and wide, without the proper tread design, mothernature will have the last laugh.

Btw, the best winter vehicle I ever owned was indeed a VW Touareg V8, which is essentially the same as a Cayenne. I had the air suspension and locking rear diff, but i also had the best winter tires on money could buy. During the largest snow storm in 3 decades, out of 30 cars in our lot, mine was the only one to make it out.

The formula: Air suspension raised full height, proper tires, traction control off, and a good driver.

Oh yes, worth reiterating, in DEEP snow, dudes, PLEASE shut off the traction control, or you_will_get_stuck regardless of!
Loose nuts behind the wheel never help
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #133
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Loose nuts behind the wheel never help
It was each man for himself.

Those 30 cars in our lot, was at work btw.

The storm hit early morning, and it was peaking late afternoon, there was already 2-3 ft of snow, and about 4-5 ft where there were snow drifts by midday. It was a situation where anyone who waited 1 more hour, would either be stuck at location for the night, or risk not making it home....

Most attempted to leave midday. Pure white-out conditions. The vast majority made it home by 9PM!

This nut here was home by 2pm.

Loved my Touareg V8 with Hakkas on .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #134
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
I drove my car the past 2 Minnesota winters with the stock Pirelli all seasons on, and it was OK. There were only 2 or 3 days where I really couldn't drive it. Not great, mind you, but OK, with the usual RWD caveats.

This fall I sprung for some slightly narrower (235s) Blizzak DM-V2s all around. Had a snow storm hit a few weeks ago, dumped about 4-5 inches of wet, heavy snow. The kind that compacts into ice when you drive on it. Began putting my snow tires on but had to stop to take my son to basketball practice. Drove him there in my wife's FWD minivan with all-seasons on it. Came home and finished putting the Blizzaks on my car, and went to pick him up.

Same roads, same road conditions. Night and day difference! My car easily outperformed my wife's in the snow. No contest. I am a believer. If you can afford it (and that's a big "if"--they're spendy), snow tires are worth the money if you have to drive in the snow belt.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #135
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
My Camaro is my first RWD car. (Reformed Lexus/Acura/insert riceburner here Fangirl). I recognize my inexperience, and invested in a used 4WD Jeep to safely navigate through the harsh elements. However, my Camaro is the preferred method of transport, and I take advantage of every opportunity to put it on the road on a clear, unseasonably warm day. In short, I see both sides. Garaging it mostly eliminates worry of compromising the integrity of the car, especially if active in heavy modding and/or car shows. Daily driving it satisfies a need to get the most out of the "smiles per gallon" factor the Camaro provides.
CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote