Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
Exclamation Strange noise dealership can't solve.

I have a 2010 V6 auto. I am at 65k miles, and just had a trans flush. I did this for 2 reasons 1) I have a warranty I want to make sure I don't lose if something breaks and 2)I checked the fluid and it barely had any pink tint... looked like DIRTY oil.

I am now hearing a funny noise (typically in 1st or 2nd gear-in manual mode) between 8-15 mph (2k rpms) for about 1-3 seconds. It varies a little. It sounds like metal on metal to me (not a hard grind, but a light scratchy noise). Then it either goes away, or road noise/exhaust is too loud for me to hear.

I took it in, and the dealership couldn't replicate the sound, and told me if it was my transmission, it would be all the time. I then got the dealership employee in my car with me driving, and it made the noise. 4 or 5 times, and he said "I'm not sure what that is. Could be your brakes. Keep driving till it happens constantly."

My brakes have never been changed, but they don't squeal, or make any noise really, when braking light or hard.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll try to get a video but not sure if you will hear it.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
We need more information! Does it happen when turning? Does it change when you apply the brakes?

Also, are you the original owner? In my experience, ATF stays pink well past 100,000 miles unless your transmission has been used really hard because of racing, towing, or parking brake left on (my wife did this, cooked the ATF on a brand new car by driving around with the parking brake on, back in the day before warning chimes). Fried the real wheel bearing grease, too, I mean... smoke coming out and grease sizzling!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
73vette

2nd owner - bought it at 18k. Only happens during acceleration, turning or not, but not every time.

My tranny fluid was literally brown....uggggly. No parking brake on issues.

I do happen to accelerate with some spirited driving from time to time.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
FlyBoy2960

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I get this as well. I have a 2014 2LS and it only happens around 2000 RPMs. Its a slight metallic, metal buzzing sound for just a few seconds. When I give it gas, it goes away. Not sure what it could be. I took it to the dealer and of course they said they couldn't hear or reproduce it.
FlyBoy2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
FlyBoy2960

I get this as well. I have a 2014 2LS and it only happens around 2000 RPMs. Its a slight metallic, metal buzzing sound for just a few seconds. When I give it gas, it goes away. Not sure what it could be. I took it to the dealer and of course they said they couldn't hear or reproduce it.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
jhajdu2

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
Is the sound like a hissing sound on the passenger side behind the glove compartment, when you accelerate? This is what I just started hearing at 30k kilometers. I haven’t brought it in yet but I suspect it has something to do with ac compressor, air cleaner leak, plugged air filter perhaps.
jhajdu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73vette View Post
I have a 2010 V6 auto. I am at 65k miles, and just had a trans flush. I did this for 2 reasons 1) I have a warranty I want to make sure I don't lose if something breaks and 2)I checked the fluid and it barely had any pink tint... looked like DIRTY oil.

I am now hearing a funny noise (typically in 1st or 2nd gear-in manual mode) between 8-15 mph (2k rpms) for about 1-3 seconds. It varies a little. It sounds like metal on metal to me (not a hard grind, but a light scratchy noise). Then it either goes away, or road noise/exhaust is too loud for me to hear.

I took it in, and the dealership couldn't replicate the sound, and told me if it was my transmission, it would be all the time. I then got the dealership employee in my car with me driving, and it made the noise. 4 or 5 times, and he said "I'm not sure what that is. Could be your brakes. Keep driving till it happens constantly."

My brakes have never been changed, but they don't squeal, or make any noise really, when braking light or hard.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll try to get a video but not sure if you will hear it.
Hello 73vette,

I am sorry that the dealership wasn't able to find the cause for the noise. If you would like us to look into this further, or document this within our system, please reach out via PM with your full contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership info.

We look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
FlyBoy2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhajdu2 View Post
Is the sound like a hissing sound on the passenger side behind the glove compartment, when you accelerate? This is what I just started hearing at 30k kilometers. I haven’t brought it in yet but I suspect it has something to do with ac compressor, air cleaner leak, plugged air filter perhaps.

It's not really a hissing sound, its like a mettalic vibration rattle. I bought the car new and the only mods I did to it were a catch can (Elite Engineering) and a 20% Tint on the Windows.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
jhajdu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy2960 View Post
It's not really a hissing sound, its like a mettalic vibration rattle. I bought the car new and the only mods I did to it were a catch can (Elite Engineering) and a 20% Tint on the Windows.
Im bringing mine into the dealership the first week of July (vacation) to have a look. I am getting the same thing and it has not stopped...2 weeks in...grinding/hissing at first few accelerations over 2500 RPMS of any drive, than goes away. It is not normal and annoying. I will let you know what the issue ends up being, if it gets resolved.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
FlyBoy2960

Quote:
Im bringing mine into the dealership the first week of July (vacation) to have a look. I am getting the same thing and it has not stopped...2 weeks in...grinding/hissing at first few accelerations over 2500 RPMS of any drive, than goes away. It is not normal and annoying. I will let you know what the issue ends up being, if it gets resolved.

Any news from the dealership on the issue? Mine is still doing it...doesn't seem bad, but so annoying. Another poster mentioned something similar to our noise and they said they switched to 93 octane fuel...and it went away.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
jhajdu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy2960 View Post
Any news from the dealership on the issue? Mine is still doing it...doesn't seem bad, but so annoying. Another poster mentioned something similar to our noise and they said they switched to 93 octane fuel...and it went away.
Was in last thursday for a semi-annual checkup, made the noise all the way up to my appointment, mechanic couldnt hear it. Checked all hoses belts etc. Replaced passenger side air filter, I have not heard it since, 5 days. No service code for the noise, yet. I am sure it will return, not a performance issue at all, just annoying. It is noted in my service files...I have 70,000 km left on my warranty so Im not concerned at this point.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
FlyBoy2960

Quote:
Was in last thursday for a semi-annual checkup, made the noise all the way up to my appointment, mechanic couldnt hear it. Checked all hoses belts etc. Replaced passenger side air filter, I have not heard it since, 5 days. No service code for the noise, yet. I am sure it will return, not a performance issue at all, just annoying. It is noted in my service files...I have 70,000 km left on my warranty so Im not concerned at this point.
I did notice something. I filled my tank with 93 octane (exxon) and the noise disappeared?!? I drove it like normal and its gone...really odd?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
73vette

Mine is still happening. No updates. My next tank I will fill it with premium gas and see what happens. Doubtful it will help, but who knows.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
FlyBoy2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73vette View Post
Mine is still happening. No updates. My next tank I will fill it with premium gas and see what happens. Doubtful it will help, but who knows.
Notice anything different with premium gas? So far, ever since I've been using 93+ octane, the noise is gone...