Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #141
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Issue is, spraying liquids into an air stream tends to have most of the particulates settle on the far back and any walls they encounter along the way. Has anyone taken the time to do this treatment and then check all valves after and note evenness?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #142
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Issue is, spraying liquids into an air stream tends to have most of the particulates settle on the far back and any walls they encounter along the way. Has anyone taken the time to do this treatment and then check all valves after and note evenness?
Yes, on an LFX. Before pics in post #1, after in post #70:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296960

Ended up cleaning the valves by hand.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #143
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
If you just do the intake manifold part, do you have to change your oil within a couple hundred miles?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #144
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73vette View Post
If you just do the intake manifold part, do you have to change your oil within a couple hundred miles?
Technically, no. There should be minimal, if any, solvent in the oil. That being said - Is it a good idea to change the oil? Yes, I think so.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #145
ccobb575

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Lt
Thanks for the write up
ccobb575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #146
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I plan on doing this soon so I want to clarify things... if I'm doing the intake manifold method I warm car up completely then I remove the plenum and pour the remaining 1\2 can into each inlet port and let sit for 10 mins. Turn car on rev a little then let idle, then go take it for a spirited drive?
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #147
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
i just did my treatment and man. my car was mis firing before and holy. the car only has 67k on it. so much smoke came out. hopefully she runs better now. threw an engine code tho but easy to clear
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #148
jacksaigon

Drives: Black Camaro
Consider I'm a noobie to this sea foam cleaning, it's a very helpful write up, with a lots of questions being answer thus far in this thread.
However, I did not see anyone mention what effect would the seafoam do to the Catalytic converter, and the solid soot came off of the valve/intake might be caught on the valve seats when its rushing out the exhaust ports on the cylinder head.
Or it might be just me worrying too much
jacksaigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #149
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksaigon View Post
Consider I'm a noobie to this sea foam cleaning, it's a very helpful write up, with a lots of questions being answer thus far in this thread.
However, I did not see anyone mention what effect would the seafoam do to the Catalytic converter, and the solid soot came off of the valve/intake might be caught on the valve seats when its rushing out the exhaust ports on the cylinder head.
Or it might be just me worrying too much
I think your concern is correct and I've always wondered the same thing. Thats why I think a long drive is recommended, so its just burned off the piping hot cats over the 30-45 min drive. If one were to just rev it a bunch until it stops smoking, it wouldn't be as effective and could leave the cats coated in all the seafoam and engine deposits, ew.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #150
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
I need to try this, I have no cats to worry about but is it possible to hydro lock the motor if you pour too much in and stall it out?
2010 Camaro 2lt RS, IOM on IOM, M6, eibach springs, eibach sways, ported throttle body, black ice-olator, RX catch can, OBX headers - no cats, Pypes cat back, Vibrant resonators, injen intake, DRL over ride, decepticon fender emblems, transformer sill plates, transformer script on cowl, more to come.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #151
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme industries View Post
I need to try this, I have no cats to worry about but is it possible to hydro lock the motor if you pour too much in and stall it out?
Yeah, dont worry no hydro lock since its petroleum based, but can still stall the engine for sure. Just do nice little controlled "sips" into the brake booster vacuum line and youll be fine. If you dont want to purposefully stall the engine(which I dont blame you It sounds terrifying but its all good) have a friend turn off the engine right after you pour a nice big last gulp into the engine once its starts sputtering. Youll see a smoke show but its all good. Read through the steps nice and slow a few times and bring it out on your tab or phone to follow as your go through it. Good luck and have fun smoking out your neighborhood.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #152
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
This is a great DIY thread that I have had my eye on for a while now. Just ordered some Seafoam off amazon so I guess I'm up next. Figured I'd do the injectors first until I need more gas. Then do the crankshaft for about a week. (I don't drive much) And finally do the IM in one day with a longer drive followed by a dealer oil change a couple days later. Does this seem like the right plan of attack?

Also my car is at 50k so I am not expecting noticeable results.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #153
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
This is a great DIY thread that I have had my eye on for a while now. Just ordered some Seafoam off amazon so I guess I'm up next. Figured I'd do the injectors first until I need more gas. Then do the crankshaft for about a week. (I don't drive much) And finally do the IM in one day with a longer drive followed by a dealer oil change a couple days later. Does this seem like the right plan of attack?

Also my car is at 50k so I am not expecting noticeable results.
Nice. My car was at 25k miles and noticed a huge difference in throttle response and engine sound/smoothness in the idle. Run seafoam in the crankcase for about 100 miles max, then immediate oil change. Seafoam will destroy the oil filter very rapidly.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #154
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Wow so maybe I will see some results. I am better off doing the crank last after everything? Any reason not to go that route?