Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Mac-427

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
Zaino Experience on a used Z28

We got our Z with 6,000 miles as a used car. We knew we had to have it as soon as we saw it. We were at a car show sponsored by a local Chevy dealer with our 2016 Stingray. My wife and I had only seen one other Z28 in the wild, but knew what the car was, and made a deal that day so the Stingray is gone, and we have our Z car.

I've had plenty of prior experience with Zaino but it takes lots of work to apply it properly, so I first tried another extensively advertised brand of wax that left the finish shinier but still rough to the touch with tiny black dots of rail dust remaining.

Because I was not satisfied with the result of the major brand of wax, I went over the the car twice with a clay bar using lots of detailer as a lubricant. I also used polishing compound where needed, This was an eight hour job that resulted in smooth paint, and the complete removal of the tiny black dots of rail dust that had begun to burrow into the finish.

Zaino has two different sealants (waxes?) called Z-5 and Z-2 along with a catalyzer to promote quick drying. I used one coat of Z-5 and another of Z-2 and added catalyzer according to the instructions. I finished with a final spray of Zaino detailer to get rid of any residue I had missed. The result of this is a completely slick finish with a surface with the best shine I've been able to produce through my own efforts. I've used about every product on the market, but in my opinion Zaino produces the best reflection and is the most durable of all of them. Moreover, unlike most waxes, it can be layered without leaving smudges.

In my case the job took three days of hard work done by hand. Zaino is not particularly easy to apply, and is among the most difficult to remove, but I believe the results are worth the effort. I'm sure some of the commercially applied products mentioned elsewhere on this, and other forums, are equal or better, but for me Zaino was a cost effective process that gave an outstanding finish even though it required lots of effort.
Attached Images

Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
68camaroz28

Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
Huge assumption but would guess a better approach might have involved clay barring the entire car and then a coat of a high grade wax. The clay bar removes the debris on the paint that normal washing etc cannot. Finish as smooth as babies back end.
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Now try this, Get some Zaino Clear Seal apply over the Z-2 and then go over that with Zaino Grand Finale. Gives my CGM paint the ultimate wet look. I didn't believe it when I read it but it looks fantastic.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Mac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Now try this, Get some Zaino Clear Seal apply over the Z-2 and then go over that with Zaino Grand Finale. Gives my CGM paint the ultimate wet look. I didn't believe it when I read it but it looks fantastic.
Thanks MMC, I'll try it.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Mac-427

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
Huge assumption but would guess a better approach might have involved clay barring the entire car and then a coat of a high grade wax. The clay bar removes the debris on the paint that normal washing etc cannot. Finish as smooth as babies back end.
No argument here, all I will say is that my findings are my own and others may be different. Everyone has a favorite in terms of finish products and I won't question others results.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
68camaroz28

Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
No argument here, all I will say is that my findings are my own and others may be different. Everyone has a favorite in terms of finish products and I won't question others results.
Sorry Mac as I'm not referring to product. I'm referring to a process to remove contaminants from the paint prior to whatever wax one likes/promotes. I'm sure your wax job is a number 1!
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
Mac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
Sorry Mac as I'm not referring to product. I'm referring to a process to remove contaminants from the paint prior to whatever wax one likes/promotes. I'm sure your wax job is a number 1!
No prob, I actually clayed the car twice and got a very smooth finish. Used the Zaino to seal it after clay.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Chulai

Drives: '79 Camaro, '99 Vette, etc
Quote:
We got our Z with 6,000 miles as a used car. We knew we had to have it as soon as we saw it. We were at a car show sponsored by a local Chevy dealer with our 2016 Stingray. My wife and I had only seen one other Z28 in the wild, but knew what the car was, and made a deal that day so the Stingray is gone, and we have our Z car.

I've had plenty of prior experience with Zaino but it takes lots of work to apply it properly, so I first tried another extensively advertised brand of wax that left the finish shinier but still rough to the touch with tiny black dots of rail dust remaining.

Because I was not satisfied with the result of the major brand of wax, I went over the the car twice with a clay bar using lots of detailer as a lubricant. I also used polishing compound where needed, This was an eight hour job that resulted in smooth paint, and the complete removal of the tiny black dots of rail dust that had begun to burrow into the finish.

Zaino has two different sealants (waxes?) called Z-5 and Z-2 along with a catalyzer to promote quick drying. I used one coat of Z-5 and another of Z-2 and added catalyzer according to the instructions. I finished with a final spray of Zaino detailer to get rid of any residue I had missed. The result of this is a completely slick finish with a surface with the best shine I've been able to produce through my own efforts. I've used about every product on the market, but in my opinion Zaino produces the best reflection and is the most durable of all of them. Moreover, unlike most waxes, it can be layered without leaving smudges.

In my case the job took three days of hard work done by hand. Zaino is not particularly easy to apply, and is among the most difficult to remove, but I believe the results are worth the effort. I'm sure some of the commercially applied products mentioned elsewhere on this, and other forums, are equal or better, but for me Zaino was a cost effective process that gave an outstanding finish even though it required lots of effort.
I realize this thread has a little age on it but I am reading through the Z/28 section since I am considering a purchase. I have been using Zaino since 1999 and have found it to be the easiest to apply and remove of any wax I have ever used and I've tried several. I would say you are either using way too much and/or not letting it dry. Not being critical but I was shocked to read your post. Zaino is hands down the best I've found. Enjoy your sweet car!
'15 Z/28 #990
'21 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
Chulai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
Mac-427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulai View Post
I realize this thread has a little age on it but I am reading through the Z/28 section since I am considering a purchase. I have been using Zaino since 1999 and have found it to be the easiest to apply and remove of any wax I have ever used and I've tried several. I would say you are either using way too much and/or not letting it dry. Not being critical but I was shocked to read your post. Zaino is hands down the best I've found. Enjoy your sweet car!
Just a little update: I'm now using Zaino Grand Finale first, and finishing the job with Zaino Gloss Enhancer. The combination of these two creates a great shine with no need for more Z-2 or Z-5. Even though my Z car is white, the reflections are completely clear with no cloudiness, smudges, or haze. I'll admit, I'm a "waxer" and really enjoy the detailing process, so whatever effort is involved is not a problem for me even at 72 years of age.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Chulai

Drives: '79 Camaro, '99 Vette, etc
Quote:
Just a little update: I'm now using Zaino Grand Finale first, and finishing the job with Zaino Gloss Enhancer. The combination of these two creates a great shine with no need for more Z-2 or Z-5. Even though my Z car is white, the reflections are completely clear with no cloudiness, smudges, or haze. I'll admit, I'm a "waxer" and really enjoy the detailing process, so whatever effort is involved is not a problem for me even at 72 years of age.
Grand Finale is one of the best products ever and you are absolutely correct about the shine. I don't always use the Gloss Enhancer but I have and it works great too!
'15 Z/28 #990
'21 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
Chulai is offline   Reply With Quote