The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > Off-Topic Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post

If you have traveled outside the borders of the USA, you will see the contrast between American drivers and other country drivers.
Like this?

dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
I'd be getting tickets all the time then. I never ride in the right lane, always the left.
Ok, but do you ride the left lane with a string of traffic piled up behind you? Some idiots do and that's why they're ticketed.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
In Minnesota, we have a statute that addresses impeding traffic. It sounds like this is the type of statue this tag was written under. I personally have never written at tag for it but I have very few 2 lane roads to patrol. They really need to train drivers better that if you aren't passing, get out of the left lane. If you don't believe anyone else should exceed the speed limit, go get a job as a LEO and you can enforce that to your hearts content. Just don't try to control the speed of others by camping in a passing lane.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Americans exhibit zero lane discipline. We need tough laws like Germany has regarding motorist laws. It costs like $1200US to even GET a license there, and they have cameras everywhere. If you idle in the wrong lane, fail to signal, etc, you get a HUGE fine. As it should be.

Fat, lazy, clueless American drivers. It's maddening. And I'm an American.

Totally agree. I just wish cops would enforce the left lane rules more often.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
93B4C

Drives: 2013 1SS Panther 1993 B4C
Several variables here, the most glaring of which is media reporting, so take that into consideration before reading...

Here in MA, it is illegal to just hang out in the left lane. I don't think the speed in & of itself was the issue in the Maryland case, more so the impeding traffic. I wasn't there, and don't know what the factors were or what the interaction was between the officer and the woman (a whole other issue I'll leave alone, but I will write the interaction between any officer and driver has a lot to do with how the outcome plays out).

Yes, several factors impact this, weather, traffic, road conditions, etc.

And then you have the all encompassing officer discretion. Yes, there are bad cops out there, just like bad attorneys, bad doctors, bad mechanics, etc. I was in the traffic unit for a few years. My level of enforcement depended on some of the above mentioned factors. For five or ten MPH over on a dry road in a rural area at night with little or no traffic I most likely wouldn't even look at you. But the same five or ten over in a school zone at 8 in the morning in one of the more populated sections of town will get you a ticket. Or if a particular intersection has more than its fair share of crashes because of stop sign violations, then tickets would be written there.

And yes, traffic laws are there more for safety than for revenue. I can only speak for MA (I know other jurisdictions are different), but cities and towns get a very small percentage of the money, and even then it gets put into the city's general fund, so the agency never sees the money (yes, you could argue the general fund pays for salaries, equipment, etc., what I'm writing is the agency never sees a direct payment to say, go buy new Camaros for traffic cars ). Generally speaking, high enforcement areas see a decrease in crashes, which leads to a decrease in insurance premiums for those who live in the area, which makes everyone happy.

On a personal note, after being on the job for a little over 16 years, I've seen too many drivers do too many stupid things. Some were lucky enough to walk away, some were lucky enough to live, some weren't so lucky and got themselves killed and/or killed someone else.

93B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
In Louisiana, on highways and interstate you can do up to 9mph over and not get ticketed as the rule of thumb is if they stop you for less than 10 over, someone will pass them doing 10+. It's all revenue based. 10+ mph over and ticket is much more and LA being money hungry corrupt, they know ppl will do 10+ all day long.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post

If you have traveled outside the borders of the USA, you will see the contrast between American drivers and other country drivers.
Actually I have. I can tell you that America doesn't hold a candle compared to Italy, India, and Middle East. I was in the navy for 8 years if you want to know, and I've seen each of those countries first hand. In Italy alone you have people driving on sidewalks. Almost got hit myself.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
Actually I have. I can tell you that America doesn't hold a candle compared to Italy, India, and Middle East. I was in the navy for 8 years if you want to know, and I've seen each of those countries first hand. In Italy alone you have people driving on sidewalks. Almost got hit myself.
Maybe it's illegal to walk on sidewalks in Italy? They might be part of the road! You never know about those kind of thing.... Jk

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Maybe it's illegal to walk on sidewalks in Italy? They might be part of the road! You never know about those kind of thing.... Jk
No. LOL! I was in a market on the sidewalk. There were people al around us. This guy must've been in a hurry. I'm also not the only one that has experienced that. Must've gotten his license at a pawn shop! LOL!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Try this: My wife get's a ticket for driving too close/tailgating when pulled over for speeding. Cops explanation: while pulling over the car in front of her freaked out and slowed quickly and also pulled over so she almost hit them, hence being too close/tailgating. Ridiculous and only in Lowsyana!

Passing idiot drivers is my first love of driving my SS!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Try this: My wife get's a ticket for driving too close/tailgating when pulled over for speeding. Cops explanation: while pulling over the car in front of her freaked out and slowed quickly and also pulled over so she almost hit them, hence being too close/tailgating. Ridiculous and only in Lowsyana!

Passing idiot drivers is my first love of driving my SS!
I'd have fought that. I've not witnessed anything other than speeding ticket hear n there and I knew I was speeding.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...basic speed law...whatever is safe...exercise due diligence for traffic conditions and other drivers...It's a judgement call...

I remember an old safety ad they used to run..."...This driver was Right!...DEAD RIGHT!"....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #27
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
It's called a monthly ticket quota plain and simple. Maybe not in other states, but here in NY you have to keep a certain amount of summonses.

Not the most news worthy source, but there are thousands more online. This one is just plain funny - http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...rJWwm2a4KIVtAP
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
LessSinister

Drives: 2011 - 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowVert View Post
In Minnesota, we have a statute that addresses impeding traffic. It sounds like this is the type of statue this tag was written under.
...If you don't believe anyone else should exceed the speed limit, go get a job as a LEO and you can enforce that to your hearts content. Just don't try to control the speed of others by camping in a passing lane.

One of the best responses to this issue.

None of this crap like: "I have a right to drive the limit in any lane I damn well please". You also have the right to jump off the Brooklyn bridge but I don't see you doing that.