The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Stingray Photos, Videos, Media

Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Ok, Monday I received my copy in the mail, ordered through Amazon, and just finished reading it cover-to-cover.

The book seems well constructed and durable, and is hard-bound with a thick, glossy slip cover. Overall, the book is well presented, and breaks down the entire C7 development into ten general categories. There is a decent amount of insight into the designers' & engineers' thinking during the development process, though perhaps not as in-depth as some might wish for. There is a large number of photos taken throughout the design process, most never seen before by the public. Many of these really help one understand just how much work went into developing the C7, and the amount of detail everyone involved focused on. It is a far more visual depiction than "All Corvettes Are Red", describing the trials and tribulations the C5 Corvette went through to reach production. Every page is thick and medium glossy, as all coffee table books should be.

On a slight downside, there is a small, but glaring (to me at any rate) number of typographic errors that detract just a touch from the overall quality of the book. Larry Edsall probably shouldn't be blamed for this, but the editor(s) certainly should be. That is what an editor is for, right? Editing typos?

I certainly enjoyed reading it and seeing aspects of the car rarely experienced by those not directly involved in its creation. I even found myself looking closely at various photos, attempting to see if my very car was in one of the many plant images, as mine was built very early (sadly, no). Having taken R8C Museum Delivery and taking the VIP plant tour, I could readily relate to many of the things I saw in the book's many photos, enhancing my fun while reading. Overall, I do think this a great addition to any automotive enthusiast's library, and recommend it to all of you.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Ka Razy

Thanks for the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Ok, Monday I received my copy in the mail, ordered through Amazon, and just finished reading it cover-to-cover.

The book seems well constructed and durable, and is hard-bound with a thick, glossy slip cover. Overall, the book is well presented, and breaks down the entire C7 development into ten general categories. There is a decent amount of insight into the designers' & engineers' thinking during the development process, though perhaps not as in-depth as some might wish for. There is a large number of photos taken throughout the design process, most never seen before by the public. Many of these really help one understand just how much work went into developing the C7, and the amount of detail everyone involved focused on. It is a far more visual depiction than "All Corvettes Are Red", describing the trials and tribulations the C5 Corvette went through to reach production. Every page is thick and medium glossy, as all coffee table books should be.

On a slight downside, there is a small, but glaring (to me at any rate) number of typographic errors that detract just a touch from the overall quality of the book. Larry Edsall probably shouldn't be blamed for this, but the editor(s) certainly should be. That is what an editor is for, right? Editing typos?

I certainly enjoyed reading it and seeing aspects of the car rarely experienced by those not directly involved in its creation. I even found myself looking closely at various photos, attempting to see if my very car was in one of the many plant images, as mine was built very early (sadly, no). Having taken R8C Museum Delivery and taking the VIP plant tour, I could readily relate to many of the things I saw in the book's many photos, enhancing my fun while reading. Overall, I do think this a great addition to any automotive enthusiast's library, and recommend it to all of you.

06-28-13 Status 1100
11-22-13 Status 2000
11-29-13 Status 3000
12-12-13 Status 3300
12-16-13 Status 3400
01-06-14 Status 3800!!
01-10-14 Status 4B00
01-13-14 Status 4200!!!
02-17-14 Delivered!!!!!!!!!!
Ka Razy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
CruznCorvette

Drives: 2014 C7
My book came the same day I picked up my car. I'll read it on the plane on the way to Florida next month. Looks like a great read.

CruznCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
A recent online review in regards to Larry Edsall's book:
BY SUSAN CARPENTER
AUTOMOTIVE CRITIC
Published: Feb. 13, 2014 Updated: Feb. 15, 2014 8:19 a.m.

In the 61 years since Chevrolet introduced its Corvette, GM's most iconic nameplate hasn't just captured the hearts and minds of auto enthusiasts, it's come to define the American sports car. “Corvette Stingray: The Seventh Generation of America's Sports Car,” published by Motorbooks, offers an in-depth look at one of the most acclaimed cars of the 2014 model year, including hundreds of photos.

We caught up with the book's author, automotive journalist Larry Edsall, to talk us through the seven most surprising facts about the C7 Stingray.

1. The role the U.S. Treasury Department played in saving the Corvette.
I'm sure there are a lot of Corvette enthusiasts who were very opposed to the idea of the government bailout, and they'll be surprised to find out the feds not only saved GM but in particular saved Corvette. In the book, C7 chief engineer Tadge Juechter said he was ready for the worst when the Treasury guys came down to Bowling Green, Ky. He thought there was no way they were going to let GM keep a factory for one car. Instead, they said, “Tell us about the next Corvette. There has to be another Corvette.”

2. The close work between the Corvette development engineers and the Corvette racing team.
When car companies talk about racing to learn, it's usually a marketing effort. But the racing team really benefited the development of this car, especially its aerodynamics.

3. The global design effort.
For the first time on a Corvette, GM opened its design to every studio it has around the world. Every designer was invited to offer ideas about the Corvette, even people who had never seen a Corvette in their native country. It helped create a global identity for the car. Chevrolet needs the C7 to be a more global car, not just an American muscle car.

4. The interior design is better than it's ever been.
Usually it's a bake-off. Everybody turns in their designs, and the design directors pick the two or three best and then it goes to Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of design. But on the C7, he said, basically, “Start over. None of these are good enough.” That said a lot about the commitment to the car. Also, on the passenger side there's now a grab handle. The story of why the grab handle is there is also kind of interesting. When the mule cars – prototypes – were built, the engineers took the interior designers out for thrill rides. Two of the designers are big guys, but they were getting flung around in the car, and when they went to grab something, they both grabbed the shifter. So the designers went back and designed the grab handle, which the Corvette has never had before.

5. New technologies.
No Corvette owner will ever see this because it's hidden in the back behind the trim panel, but when you close the hatch on a car like the Corvette coupe, there's a lot of air pressure working against the hatch. They were so committed to making this car lighter that they used this thing called shape-memory alloy. It's a metal that changes shape when heated, then goes back to its original shape at ambient temperature. It was developed for the U.S. Navy for use in submarines because of it resists corrosion, but when an electric current is ran through it, it heats and changes shape. They used it to open a vent so when the hatch is closed, the air escapes.

6. The most fascinating aspect of the tail lights isn't their controversial shape (they're no longer circular) but the vents around them.
Part of what they learned with the racing team was how to do a better job of letting the air that cools components escape more efficiently. The radiators were moved to the back of the car to lower the frontal size. After doing its job, that air has to get out of the car cleanly or it creates turbulence and hurts the car's top speed and fuel economy. Wind-tunnel testing helped figure out how to vent around the tail lights once the air has done its job. It's a very clever and elegant solution.

7. Prototype testing.
In the book, we show them building the prototypes for testing and we walk readers down the assembly line at Bowling Green. You can make an appointment and see the Corvette being built, but they never show you the prototype shop where they're building the prototype cars, and we have a whole chapter on that.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote