The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
REMOVING THE MASKING TAPE FROM YOUR BUILD SHEETS

This is a tip on how to safely remove the masking tape that comes on your Build Sheets. Unfortunately, yes, your Build Sheets come with unwanted masking tape applied on them due to an oversight that some of us may actually care. If you do not care, and like the originality of the masking tape, then you need not read further. If you do care, and want to safely remove it, then read on. With some forethought GM could have used removable tape.

I am long time in the model train hobby where I buy, sell, collect, and repair vintage Lionel Trains. I wrote the section on F3 diesels in Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains, the bible on Lionel Trains. Most of us in the hobby value original boxes to the point where many are worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars - Just for the boxes. So, we in the hobby are often obsessed with paper where non original tape applied to them is a killer of box value. So, I learned through trial and error how to remove erstwhile non original tape. Age of your Build Sheets does not matter as I have safely removed non-original tape on Lionel boxes from 1937.

Think hair dryer. Have it on high heat with low air flow. First, apply heat over the entire tape surface to more liquefy and loosen the glue. Do this periodically as you go along so the glue is always at least warm. Second, take an end or section, apply heat, and gently peel back the tape (think fingernails & tips of fingers) applying constant heat as you SLOWLEY peel. If you feel a section resisting, go to and work another end or section you chose. If you begin to feel paper resisting where you have a hairline tare, stop, go on to somewhere else, and eventually you will come back to this problem area, but where you now are coming at it from another direction, and shall remove the tape without continuing to tare paper.

Masking tape is one of the more difficult tapes to remove. Fortunately, the Build Sheet paper is reasonably thick and tough. It can be removed with care, patience, and time (with sometimes singed fingers) as I have done so. It is good to have a helper - one to apply heat and another to peel. I did it myself, but I have done this before by myself. You could use a small blunt instrument to save your fingers from the heat, but finger nails and fingers work best.

I had a major problem on one Build Sheet where the masking tape was applied to the front top edge, but also was folded over and stuck to the back side. I first removed the tape from the back side and cut it off with a scissors so I only had a strip of tape to remove on the front side and could come at it from more directions had I first started with the front side.

The Built Sheet paper is tough so you should note burn it and shall have a fair chance to remove the tape without damaging the lettering and numbering.

Attached are before and after pics of the Build Sheet that had the tape applied to the front side and folded over and stuck on the backside.

Not a perfect job, but I got the result I wanted, and the other Build Sheet came out perfect. In my view, much better than leaving the masking tape when I go to laminate the Build Sheets.

Good Luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richardlord; 05-13-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
Where is the build sheet located?
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
Where is the build sheet located?
Mine came placed in the trunk with other things
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
I didn't get anything and me and my buddy are wondering where the heck it all is.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote