The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
JoshuaKM1

Drives: BMW 535i
Ordering a 2015 Stingray

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Corvette forum. I've been a long-time BMW enthusiast and I never in a million years would have considered a Corvette until a friend of mine told me to test drive the C7 before placing my order on the 2015 BMW M3. I was really blown away by the fit & finish of this car. Right now I'm thinking of ordering a 2015 C7 coupe (3LT w/Z51 package) in night race blue metallic with the kalahari interior. Just a few questions for the forum 'vette experts/enthusiasts:

(1) Does the price of the coupe include a roof or is it an additional cost? Which roof do y'all typically recommend? I like the idea of having a glass roof but my local dealer said it gets incredibly hot (obviously) in warm weather. Is it possible to completely tint the glass or is it better to just go with a painted roof?
(2) Is the 3LT package "worth it" over the 2LT package? I assume it makes the car look more luxurious? By the same token, carbon fiber with kalahari looks amazing, but is it worth the price from a visual/aesthetic standpoint?
(3) The 2015 models seem to offer the option of a plastic wrap (clear bra). Is this something that most of you would recommend or would it be cheaper/better to have an aftermarket wrap placed?
(4) Are there any must-have options or things that you wish you had on your C7?

Thanks so much!

Josh
JoshuaKM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Former (and still) big time BMW enthusiast here, in fact worked for them for 22 years before retiring.....my first vette too - your answers, IMO

1. the painted roof comes std, the "glass" top is optional unless they are out of the painted top then you have to buy the glass top but still pays extra - it will get hot underneath , but they make interior sunshads, now.
2. this is a judgement call. I have a 2LT because I don't need nav or a leather dash. More than enuf luxury for me in a 2LT.
3. do the film locally - XPEL is the best - call them for a local installer. I don't want to be the guinea pig for the factory while they "learn" on your car
4. on options, there are a ton, this is gonna require a search. A car you will never be unhappy with would be a 2LT Z51 with silver wheels. (If you are a non track guy the z51 package is not needed, but get the ZF1 option which gets you the nice big wheels. NOTE: search here and all the forums on how to order, a few dealers get a lot more vettes than other dealers....PM me if you have specific questions.

all my opin....my car (lots of mods)

Last edited by Glen e; 07-24-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
I believe on the 2015 you can order a Z51 appearance package if you like the look of the spoiler / wheels.
I agree with Glen, if you don't intend to track the car the Z51 isn't needed.
Some reviews are saying that the non Z51 has a better ride quality.
I ordered the base non Z51
If you're a Credit Union member there are good discounted prices available, not all dealers will honor the program
if you need names of dealers that will PM me.
Attached Images

Last edited by regguy1; 07-24-2014 at 11:02 AM.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
JoshuaKM1

Thanks guys. I'm not going to track the car but I've heard that the Z51 with magnetic ride control offers a significantly better ride in terms of chassis control. I agree the 3LT is probably a bit overkill... but the full leather looks pretty sweet. Anyways my girlfriend is going to kill me if I get this car... she was hoping I would get the far more practical V8 Range Rover Sport.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
JoshuaKM1

Two other quick questions.... I'm going with the night race blue/kalahari combination and was wondering if the carbon fiber dash was worth the extra money in terms of improving the interior aesthetics and also whether yellow (vs. red) calipers would be a better fit for this color.

Thanks!!!

Josh
Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1 View Post
Two other quick questions.... I'm going with the night race blue/kalahari combination and was wondering if the carbon fiber dash was worth the extra money in terms of improving the interior aesthetics and also whether yellow (vs. red) calipers would be a better fit for this color.
Thanks!!!
Josh
On a NRB with Kalahari, I personally would prefer the yellow calipers with either silver or black wheels. This is a striking combo IMO. The CF dash is worth at least $500 which is the approximate discounted parts counter price. It's certainly visually appealing whether you add it as a 1K option to your order or install it post C7 delivery.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote