The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
efarley

Drives: 2009 Audi S5
rain sensing wipers

Any chance the c7 comes with automatic rain sensing wipers? I haven't read anything about then so I assume not. They are one of those options that if you live in the Pacific north west is about the greatest idea ever. I'm sure folks in Florida where it seems most c7s live could also really appreciate this option.
efarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
no it does not....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
efarley

As I suspected. :( it's something so simple that really makes a HUGE difference almost every day... guess I'll get to go back to turning the wipers on and off and fast and slow 10 times every time I drive anywhere
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I hope that NEVER happens. There's too many "nannies" on cars these days.

I use Rain-X and on the highway I never have to use my wipers. Only in town.

The Corvette does have intermittent wipers. You don't have to turn them off and on in light rain.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
efarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51Stingray View Post
I hope that NEVER happens. There's too many "nannies" on cars these days.

I use Rain-X and on the highway I never have to use my wipers. Only in town.

The Corvette does have intermittent wipers. You don't have to turn them off and on in light rain.
It's not a nanny it's a convince like having a/c or heated seats. You're obviously not from the Pacific northwest. On a typical 10 mile drive I will go from not raining at all to a downpour to a light drizzle back to a downpour back to not raining and then to having trucks in front of me throwing light water off the road onto the windshield. That is not an exaggeration or something I'm saying to make a point, it is literally what I go through every time I drive anywhere from October until July

So yes i have intermittent settings but they do nothing when I start with my wipers off, turn them on high, turn them on a intermittent setting, change the intermittent setting to be faster or slower every mile as the rain goes back and forth between starting stopping, coming down hard, coming down light, just bring thrown off the road by other cars and back to a downpour. I have to adjust the speed of the wipers more often than I have to shift gears.

Is it the end of the world no but is it a highly impactful convince absolutely. Just like heated seats might seen like a dumb "nanny" as you put it if you live in Texas but they are the single greatest convenience on a car in Maine that will noticeable help with resale.

Last edited by efarley; 07-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
GeoC
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 C7 LT2 Z51 Coupe
Too lazy to turn on wipers.
Give me a break. Don't like the
weather then move.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Nothing Personal....but I'll have to side with the "I DRIVE CREW"...I don't need automatic lights (I see folks in rainstorms all the time where the lights don't turn on in dark downpours)......I like to turn my own wipers on, headlights and manual shift my auto transmission most of the time- esp downshifting.........Drive it, don't RIDE IN IT!
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I'd take rain sensing wipers any day - they work great on my BMW's on a long trip where you are moving in and out of rain squalls...it has nothing to do with more nannies....In addition, I would like Forward collision warning, blind spot detection, top down car view and active cruise control.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
Nothing Personal....but I'll have to side with the "I DRIVE CREW"...I don't need automatic lights (I see folks in rainstorms all the time where the lights don't turn on in dark downpours)......I like to turn my own wipers on, headlights and manual shift my auto transmission most of the time- esp downshifting.........Drive it, don't RIDE IN IT!

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
It's fine without it but having it won't hurt... I had rain sensing wipers on my previous AMG sedan and it was a creature convenience comfort I liked, especially in situations like efarley described.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote