Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
New SS feels sluggish

I've mostly owned V6/I6 cars that were much more lightweight (G35, BMW, etc) and a 2LT V6 Camaro, but this is my first experience with a V8. As my SS is still being broken in, I haven't really run the car too hard, but I do feel that I should be getting more out of it compared to my 2LT and other 6 cylinder cars I've owned. I especially feel that I am not getting enough throttle/power at low RPMs when going from a red light, etc. I haven't taken the car to a track or dyno, but I did take it the dealership and they said their diagnostics showed no problems. I was worried that my ECM might have switched to the lower octane table because my car felt rather sluggish after a fillup at Krogers with 93 Octane (now I am using Shell gas). I tried a fuse pull earlier but it didn't seem to do anything, I have no idea if the dealership really checked the ECM table like I asked.

Also, I purchased the Range V8 to eliminate AFM, which did improve on the hesitation I sometimes felt when cruising on the freeway and trying to give the car more power. Another item I have ordered is a Vmax Ported throttle body - do you think this will help with my disappointment with the response at lower RPMs?

With cars like my G35, all I had to do was slightly step on the accelerator and it would really get going, while I feel like I really have to push on the accelerator for the SS to achieve the same effect. Any suggestions, my car currently has around 1000 miles on it.
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
VMAX Ported TB!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Berje

Drives: 1994 z28, 2010 ss, 2010 titan
I would try the fuse pull again but leave the fuse out over night
Berje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
I've mostly owned V6/I6 cars that were much more lightweight (G35, BMW, etc) and a 2LT V6 Camaro, but this is my first experience with a V8. As my SS is still being broken in, I haven't really run the car too hard, but I do feel that I should be getting more out of it compared to my 2LT and other 6 cylinder cars I've owned. I especially feel that I am not getting enough throttle/power at low RPMs when going from a red light, etc. I haven't taken the car to a track or dyno, but I did take it the dealership and they said their diagnostics showed no problems. I was worried that my ECM might have switched to the lower octane table because my car felt rather sluggish after a fillup at Krogers with 93 Octane (now I am using Shell gas). I tried a fuse pull earlier but it didn't seem to do anything, I have no idea if the dealership really checked the ECM table like I asked.

Also, I purchased the Range V8 to eliminate AFM, which did improve on the hesitation I sometimes felt when cruising on the freeway and trying to give the car more power. Another item I have ordered is a Vmax Ported throttle body - do you think this will help with my disappointment with the response at lower RPMs?

With cars like my G35, all I had to do was slightly step on the accelerator and it would really get going, while I feel like I really have to push on the accelerator for the SS to achieve the same effect. Any suggestions, my car currently has around 1000 miles on it.
Do you have LS3 or L99? These cars don't come alive until 3500 rpm and up. Check out a dyno sheet and you will see where the power kicks in.

Here is a previous post:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114824
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the fuse pull now that I have had another fillup of Shell 93 V-Power. Also, glad to see that the Vmax TB was suggested, hope that fixes at least part of the problem.

I do have the L99 engine so I'll check out the L99 dyno thread to get a better idea what to expect across the power band.
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
Felt the same way with my SS. A CAI cold air intake helped a bit with throttle response, added a few HP, and gave her a sweet sounding growl.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Might need to break her in. She wakes up at about 5k-7k. A fuse pull may also help.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berje View Post
I would try the fuse pull again but leave the fuse out over night
I did this on mine, and it did feel different afterwards.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
You do not feel the full HP pull until 3K RPMs unless you get it tuned, so I'm told. I have a manual V8 and I can feel the engine come to life when at 3K RPM or more.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Bradley
Gray Eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM, 1994 Camaro
Do you feel any difference with the traction control off?

Ordered - 14 Aug 2009 Born - 4 Nov 2009 Delivered - 17 Dec 2009
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Welcome to the club bro!

This is my issue with the 5th generation Camaro. The dead spot that kills the ride. Installed CAI, to cure it no cure.

Then LTs, no cure. Then tune, no cure. Then, Vmax TB, aslo no cure. Then a ported manifold and icolator also no cure.

Then I said why not trying the V8 and to my supprise the L99 was not better, so Im keeping my moded V6 because at least it feels better.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
When my L99 had under 4K-ish miles it was rather unimpressive down low in the RPMs/launch. But after around that point, it started getting very strong and was pulling 0-60s in 4.9-5 flat when stock (which I believe is around about where it should have been for a novice driver like me) without even launching it, just mash the pedal. Also, be sure to do a fuse pull and run 93/94, I can feel a difference between 91 and 93 octane.

Around 6-10K it felt like it was the way it should be operating. My guess is there is a bunch of torque management in the early miles. I also felt like the shifts were slow during the first few thousand miles and then 'crisped up' after.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Headers, intake & tune...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
One thing to keep in mind is the low gearing of the G35. They are geared very aggressively and respond very quickly to throttle input. I opted for the 6 speed manual on the camaro so I can keep the revs in the sweet power band when I want it.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote